Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.156 DEV - Entity Initialization Parallelization, Bugfixes

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy KeenSWH Developer

Summary
    Hello Engineers! This week’s update brings you more parallelization improvements. Grid loading is now processed asynchronously, which translates into less freezing when copying/pasting grids and while spawning cargo ships and drones. It also significantly reduces load times.
    As a small tweak to weapon balancing, we’ve added a short reload time to automated Gatling turrets so they will not fire continuously, but rather reload after 140 rounds. Bugs fixed this week include sliding doors and normal doors not being able to be grouped together, first person perspective clipping when using rifles, and jetpacks deactivating when reloading a world in a cockpit. Lastly, all duplicates in the G-Screen should be cleaned up.

Features
    - Parallelization (Loading of grids is now processed asynchronously. This translates into less freezing during copying & pasting grids or during spawning of cargo ships, drones and using blueprints. It also significantly reduces loading times.)
    - GitHub source code updated

Fixes
    - added reload time to automated Gatling turrets.
    - cleaned up the G-Screen by removing duplicates
    - fixed sliding door and door cannot be grouped
    - fixed the rendering issue when copying grid and being in bounding box of pasted grid
    - fixed rifle clipping
    - fixed collision detection problem for refinery build models
    - fixed atmospheric thrusters creating a fake mounting point
    - fixed jetpack deactivating when reloading game in-cockpit
    - fixed FOV issues when deleting a jump-driving ship
    - fixed drill disappearing in survival
    - fixed connectors not connecting to each other
    - fixed myMechanicalConnectionBlockBase issues
    - fixed rebinding "Hold to look around" to another key disabling camera zoom
    - fixed despawning of looted wolves closing any open inventory screen
    - fixed missile turrets aiming (damaging nearby grids or trying to shoot through grids)
    - fixed max. building boundaries not being shown after CTRL+V
    - fixed damaged beacon particles staying at original spot
    - fixed window on cockpit detaching after removing block from same grid
    - fixed decal related crash in heavily modded worlds

Hotfixes Development version 1.156.005:
    - Fixes to Parallelization related crashes

Hotfixes Development version 1.156.006:

- Fixed issues with world corrupt files and crashes related Parallelization
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Medieval Engineers will be re-launching on 18th October with Planets, Area Ownership, Maps, Fast Travel, and many other new features.
    Buy Medieval Engineers today at http://www.medievalengineers.com/buy.html to get special early-community stars that can be displayed on flags and banners in the game.​

01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 22
    • Late Late x 1
  2. Elfi Wolfe

3. SilentSymphony

very nice

4. Ed Frost

5. Robinson C.

6. X e r o

This ... is... AWESOME.
    Edit: first step to a whole new world.

7. MrDoctorDIV

Them blocks be lookin sexy

8. fionnhunter

Damn this is the closest I've ever been to first.
    But very nice update guys, and any idea when the elite drill not appearing in game is going to be fixed?

9. Leadfootslim

Very clean!

The more of these HD models I see, the more I salivate for what'll amount to an HD rerelease of the game. Huzzah!

10. OmEgA_StOrM

Nice Update
    I thought for a second the teaser was showing a new Sound block :D

11. posthy

The parallelization is great, keep on working on that! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Avaslash

Amazing jump drive model but... man that looks like a lot of polygons. I hope it doesnt hurt performance.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Bad Humour

Woo great performance improvements. sadly cant try them out now but they sound/look very promising.

Although I also see a couple of bugs that have been introduced regarding to pistons and rotors which haven't been fixed yet aren't fixed. Well there is always next time and hopefully a good hotfix.

14. PhoenixTheSage

Humongous thumbs up! <3
    Yay decal crash fix! Double yay for multi-threading!!

15. StarCore

48 weeks passed since planets and they are still unplayable without a google sized pc...

• Disagree Disagree x 15
  16. Commander Rotal

Optimization improvements are always welcome!

Edit: i honestly can't tell what block that is. Proportions look weird so my best guess is the Jump Drive but it might be a Battery? Can't say i like it but it doesn't look particularly ugly. More like... very general.

Edit 2: no pressure guys, no pressure, just, y'know, throwing it out there, Tapping still broken on Dev. No pressure. Take your time, work through priorities. Just, ah, just a reminder. Food for thought.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  17. flexx SE Asst. Producer KeenSWH Developer

Do you have a bug report somewhere?

18. Replic TuaniOne

Oh goodies, I'm liking the refined models aka HD models, keep it up guys!

19. flexx SE Asst. Producer KeenSWH Developer

What are your pc specs? We have a tester guy here, who is playing on GTX 460 pretty fine on planets and that is not even supported for planets.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. wd56

"Medieval Engineers will be re-launching on 18th October with Planets, Area Ownership, Maps, Fast Travel, and many other new features.
    Buy Medieval Engineers today at http://www.medievalengineers.com/buy.html to get special early-community stars that can be displayed on flags and banners in the game."

Hahahahaha...omg...hahahahaha.

First of all....what the hell are Planets doing in ME. Are we building wooden and stone space ships that will travel via catapult engine?

Second....KSW actually thinks we would buy another game when the first one is still not out and its still in alpha?! You guys must be really confident.

Edit: I know that you guys are working really hard in fixing SE. I get it but its been two years now and while multiplayer has no doubt improved comparatively speaking....it still has such a long way to go. So for me its a little disappointing that you would re-launch ME when SE is still stuck in Alpha. Especially when ME came after.

I stopped visiting the forums awhile back and will probably continue to do so again. This ME plug got me winded up so felt the need to post.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 17
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Stardriver907

define unplayable

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. Jimmacle

Allowing you to circumnavigate the map and otherwise have no "bounds" to the map.

You don't have to buy it. However, Deepflame has given ME a lot of love since he took over and from what I've seen the game looks pretty good (maybe even better than SE at this point).

Enjoy your salt while I enjoy my games :)

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Stardriver907

Yet so many people have done that. Are you saying they're stupid? Or are you ticked because they did and you didn't?

Every new video game is a risk. Keen Software House takes the risks instead of just running their mouths.

As some people do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Avaslash

On a completely different note I was wondering if you could comment on an idea I had for implementing water in Space Engineers given the current constraints of the system. Why not have water (such as that which is currently ice in lakes) be a translucent voxel with no impact mesh (ie you can fly right through it). Later down the line you could implement a system that was a bit more complicated that limited top speed to a much lower amount when touching a water voxel.

Then way way down the line you could simulate "flow" and prevent "water walls" (when digging near lakes) by having an invisible sphere at a pre-defined "sea level." If a hole is dug beneath that sphere but there are no water voxels within that space below the sea-level then nothing happens. However, if there are water voxels detected within that space below the sea level then it spawns in water voxels up to that point. In other words water voxels can only spawn in where there are pre-existing water voxels. If it were coded to add water voxels in increments (say expand water voxel mesh by 1m ever second) then it would sort of simulate flow as well.

In short:
    • Water=translusent voxel with no impact physics or instead reduces max speed when touching/moving through
    • Digging below sea level has no effect because water voxels can only spawn from pre-existing water voxels
    • Water expands in increments from existing water voxels until it encounters other-non water voxels (no movement obviously, just spawning in new voxels) so that digging a hole next to a lake fills the hole with "water" but if there are no water voxels in a space below sea level no water spawns (unless you use voxel tools).

Thoughts? As a dev do you think this would be possible in the game? Or am I getting my hopes up? (just hypothetically)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  25. chrisb

Where are my smaller engineers.. plus the liquid water.. weather systems.. etc.

O.k.:(

Keep 'em' comin....???

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Commander Rotal

You okay over there buddy?

I have been asking myself the same question and the answer basically boils down to unifying the code of both games which should make implementing VRage-related features easier.

Well it's not like Medieval Engineers is a rare bird in space Engineers' libraries; a lot of us bought it as a "thank you" for planets, seeing how that very game was the stepping stone for their development. Quite a few people have it and this relaunch is good news for those who bought it AND are interested in the setting. I'm not but i can and do appreciate the effort Good Guy @Deepflame is putting into making ME great again. Whether i agree with ME-Planets or not i'll check them out when i find the time.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  27. Phoenix84

I never thought the jetpack turning off in cockpits bug was ever going to get fixed.

I'm shocked parallel entity creation could be done. Well done. I hope there are locks in places, and we don't have any surprises.

28. FlakMagnet

I like that jumpdrive! Some of the new models have been a bit...well...meh.... but that one I like a lot.

Plus side....some handy bugfixes. The refinery welding is possible now the collision box is where the block is meant to be, and i don;t have to fall out ofr my ships now as the jetpack stays on. Both nice to have. Not earth shattering bugs, but really annoying ones.

Also good to see some useful improvements in multi threading. Not having a huge pause when a cargo ship spawns will be nice.

Good stuff.

And yes...if you caught any of the recent demo streams, you will see how much effort Deepflame has put into ME. He seriously is committed to the game and enjoys it.....and the direction he has given it has brought it forward from a useless unbuyable mess to a game with serious potential that may even get me to open my timelocked moth infested wallet. Unless I win a free ME key in a raffle or something.....

29. chrisb

Can't remember the last time I played my ME. Probably finished playing it a month or so after it came out.

Not sure it needs planets, just very large maps. But if that is the way they see it going, good luck to them. Probably still won't get me playing it much.
    Still, its there and you never know.. ;)

30. posthy

More than a year ago I checked out ME. True, it was an outdated cracked version, and I deleted it after about 20 minutes. The map was ridiculously small. so a real planet will be a great advancement. The only great feature ME has and SE lacks painfully is (surprise, surprise) compound blocks. But still, I'm actually fed up with fantasy settings, so I will not buy ME, and hope KSH's main focus will be on SE!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1