Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.157 DEV - Visual Scripting

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy KeenSWH Developer

Summary
    Hello Engineers! This week we are releasing the visual scripting tool which also comes with some other improvements that should help all the Keen mission and scenario creators out there. For a steam guide continue here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=779965489
    There’s also a short example mission to help you learn and for you to use as inspiration. This tool opens up a lot of possibilities, even allowing you to create your own campaigns with multiple missions. We look forward to seeing what the community comes up with and we’ll be running a competition in the near future, so get designing!

You may notice that the main menu is now organized differently. At the top, there is a continue game option which will resume your last loaded world. Below that, you have a missions button. By clicking on this you can access the official example mission. Expect workshop support for missions and scenarios in the coming weeks. When that support comes, you will be able to find subscribed missions in the same screen.
    We’ve added directory structure support for the load world page. This can currently only be utilized out of game using Windows explorer. Although backups can now be accessed directly in game with the new backups button on the left side of the page. To access subscribed worlds via the steam workshop, click the workshop button, which is also located on the left side of the page.
    Finally you can find the regular new world screen by clicking on custom game.

An explosive change we’ve made this week is that certain functional blocks will now explode when destroyed. You will see the biggest explosion upon the destruction of a large grid large reactor, large grid hydrogen tank and jump drive. Please note, that this is currently only a visual effect and these explosions do not cause damage to surrounding blocks. This change should make battles and crashing ships even more exciting.
    Some other improvements include a larger max voxel tool size (which can now be set up to 100 blocks instead of 10) and the ability to select a default camera in a remote control block. This means that when you first take control of a grid via a remote control block, you can have it automatically go into the specified camera’s view.
    Lastly, there’s an update for the stable branch today which contains features like the realistic sound mode and improvements to the renderer and ModAPI taking it to version 01.153. You can find full list of features + fixes for the Stable branch here: http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/7388145

Features
    - Visual Scripting (Guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=779965489 )
    - Physics improvements
    - Main menu redesign
    - Larger max voxel tool size (creative)
    - Added explosion visual effect after destruction of certain blocks
    - Ability to select a default camera in a remote control block
    - Particle effects improvements

Fixes
    - added rotation and tracking to spectator camera so that it can be used for easier video shooting
    - fixed particle testing tool, particle editor
    - fixed crash with remote control when removing gps coordinates
    - fixed crash ArgumentOutOfRangeException at MyGridClipboard.AlignRotationToCoordSys
    - fixed crash at VRageRender.MyScreenDecals.AddDecal
    - fixed crash 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in HavokWrapper.dll
    - fixed changing Interior Light radius moving the reflection
    - fixed an increase in GC memory by 2GB due to cargo ship spawn followed by freeze
    - fixed modded character stats updating on respawn
    - fixed bottom of the Passage Block having no mountpoint
    - fixed start system drill not being equipped properly
    - fixed griefing issue with PB block
    - fixed 3rd person camera after loading game and exiting cockpit
    - fixed issue with sound of blocks being placed heard by other players regardless of distance
    - removed sound of suffocating for creative
    - fixed sound of not enough powered production blocks
    - fixed Procedural Asteroids not spawning any Ice
    - fixed particles after explosion staying too long

Hotfixes - 157.004
    - Added "Enable Echo" button in sound options, for players experiencing distortions in audio
    - Fixed issue with players having no audio in-game
    - Fixed crash related to pistons
    - Fixed conveyor disappearing after welding

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In other news, Medieval Engineers will be re-launching on October 18th with Planets, Area Ownership, World Map, Customizable banners, Fast Travel and more - so check it out:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 22
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Bahroth

Woot stuff!

Correction. LOTS of stuff :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Devon_v

Zecond!

4. SharpShot2oo1

5. Phoenix84

Nice.
    Looking forward to visual scripting.

EDIT: Visual scripting gives a TypeLoadException when trying to load the plugin.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. kristakis

7. SilentSymphony

very nice update guys!

8. Thomas_Jefferson

Wow, that scripting tool.... :woot:

Plus:
    I can't wait until this makes it into the stable build!

9. Speshal_Snowman

10. KingdomBragg

Nice, worth the wait :D

11. FatalPapercut

Oh no, this makes me sad...

12. romeno-k

what? weekend pachmass?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  13. DigitalStone

This update is as nice as it is huge. This game is gonna be so cool when finished.
    (It's already super enjoyable)
    Thanks for the hard work.

14. Cheetah97

Welcome the brand new Friday Update!

Will there be a Saturday Hotfix?

P.S. Gu-uys, you have brought so much stuff when you delayed the update. Did you thought about abandoning the extra-strict "roll update every Thursday" rule in favor of allowing yourselves to delay the update for up to 1 day to polish everything?

15. Ed Frost

16. Sarekh

happy Sarekh is happy! Thanks for the editor, have been waiting for that one a LONG time :carlton::carlton:

17. DS_Marine

Yeahh Aziz keep these explosions coming!! .D
    hm would it be good if also damage to just the adjacent blocks is implemented? You could risk it cramming it all or be at the safe side and leave a space...

18. ChosunOne

I'm getting a "System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyEntities threw an exception" as well when I try to use the editor.

19. Wayne Barraclough

Ambient lighting still ruins the game for me. Sorry. =(

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 666Savior

good update Keen. However, I'm getting same error as @ChosunOne and @Phoenix84. Bug report has been filed.

ps. REAL.REACTORS.DO.NOT.EXPLODE. Otherwise I am pleased with the update ;)

21. DMATH

EEEEXXXXXPPPPLLLOOOOSSSSIIIOOOONNNNNNNSSS!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Captain Broadstairs

noticed this wording "Please note, that this is currently only a visual effect and these explosions do not cause damage to surrounding blocks" Should I be excited about this? Are there plans to make them actually cause damage on explosion in future?

• Like Like x 1
  23. beelzerob

Hmmm...not to start a pointless argument, but the two worst nuclear accidents in the world certainly had explosions involved with them, however tangentially.
    --- Automerge ---
    Kind of buried under all of the other exciting stuff, but the default camera for remote control is pretty cool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. 666Savior

Yes, they were the result of explosions, however it was not the reactor itself that exploded.

gonna quote another thread that went into discussion on this:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Krypt

Explodable programmable blocks? Is this Samsung throlling?
    Anyway, this is bullshit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Devon_v

Actually the Chernobyl detonation was pretty damn impressive, followed by a pillar of fire from the superheated graphite. Do not dis the power of steam. :)

Basically letting immense heat out can combust a number of substances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. beelzerob

Right. But I think that the association between a failing reactor and an explosion is enough justification for the particle effect. Not an exploding reactor, but an explosion resulting from a damaged reactor.

It's funny the things that get me to come out of lurking and start posting.....

LOVE the update. First new substantial content in a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. 666Savior

I kind of agree with that. But for me, just having it be damaged then explode kinda feels more unrealistic. I know you have to ditch some realism for gameplay. But for me, i feel like im not seeing how these reactors work compared to real life reactors. There is no visible cooling system and we cant tell if it's fusion or fission. And im aware that can be taken either way. If there was clarification on how the reactors functioned, i feel that i might then agree on the explosion, but as it stands right now im more against it.

29. Potter

I've been known to take control of a remote grid, go get a snack, forget I took control of it and smash it into something while holding W because my ADHD made me want to go fly somewhere completely unrelated to my previous endeavor. So this...

This is nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. mric

Have a good weekend guys, seems some of you worked late.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1