Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.159 DEV - Render Optimizations, Bugfixes

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy KeenSWH Developer

Summary
    This week’s update comes with our first part of render optimisations. These are smaller optimisations which are mainly being released as preparation for the upcoming redesigned blocks but you may see some improvements in FPS even with the current models and textures. An important note for modders is that large parts of the renderer was completely rewritten so this will require some mods to be updated. We realise that changes like this can be very frustrating for modders but we want to assure you that these changes are needed for long term optimisation plans.
    The render team has written a guide with what needs to be updated and you can find this guide on steam/our forums. Regarding visual scripting, campaigns, missions and scenarios using the tool can now all be published on the Steam Workshop. Lastly, we added an ambient occlusion setting in the graphics options. Bugs fixed this week include stations becoming dynamic when copying and pasting them, connectors not being locked on server restart and many block mirroring issues. We also reduced the amount of memory leaks, especially ones that would occur on the reload of worlds.

Features
    - Render Optimizations (First Part)
    - Added ambient occlusion setting in the Graphics Options
    - Added Workshop tag "Campaign"
    - Vrage Render restriction guide for modders: http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/7388735

Fixes
    - fixed thruster flame animation freezing
    - fixed issue with copy/pasting station turning into ships
    - fixed issue when welding solar panels
    - fixed issue with ore spawns in rock
    - fixed issue with voxel tearing and the wrong texture appearing
    - fixed a part of the issue where only pressing C activates thrusters
    - fixed the no clip part of the laser antenae
    - fixed issue where the output angle for PBs did not show on LCD
    - Reduced the amount of memory leaks and fixed issue with reloading save file increased the memory consumption
    - fixed mirroring issue with oxygen farm
    - fixed mirroring issue with 3x3 wheels
    - fixed mirroring issue with 5x5 wheels
    - fixed mirroring issue with large antenna
    - fixed mirroring issue with small conveyor frame
    - fixed mirroring issue with small/large atmospheric thruster
    - fixed mirroring issue oxygen generator
    - fixed issue with dead bodies cluttering the server (improved sim speed)
    - fixed crash at System.Array.Clear(Array array, Int32 index, Int32 length)
    - fixed crash at System.Console.ReadKey(Boolean intercept)
    - fixed crash at System.Text.StringBuilder.get_Chars
    - fixed issues with loading the star system scenario
    - fixed bug that was occurring when using welder on projection
    - fixed issue with connectors not being locked on server restart
    - ship drills are now working slightly faster

Hotfixes:
    -
    fixed crash at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyCubeGrid.MultiplyBlockSkeleton
    - fixed crash at Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyRefinery (Again)
    - fixed crash during timerblock preview while trying to paste it

Space Engineers: 3 Year Anniversary
    In other news, as part of our 3rd anniversary celebrations, we will be streaming tomorrow at 7PM CEST on the Keen Community Network over on Twitch. There will be a number of special guests including Marek himself and we will taking a look at where the game’s been, where it is now and where it’s going. After this main livestream, Xocliw will be doing a 24 hour Space Engineers stream where he will be joined by more KSH developers and people from the community. Throughout both streams, we’ll be doing some giveaways and answering your questions so we hope to see you all there!​

- Space Engineers 3rd Anniversary Blog Post: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2016/10/space-engineers-3rd-anniversary_23.html
    - Keen Community Network Stream: www.twitch.tv/keencommunitynetwork
    - Xocliw's Stream: www.twitch.tv/xocliw

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 22
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. rexxar KeenSWH Developer

first!

I'd like to point out that this note:
    - fixed issue with dead bodies cluttering the server (improved sim speed)

isn't just dead bodies. All characters were running some code that they shouldn't have, which caused dedicated servers to start lagging when too many characters were in the world at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. eviltek2099

Ha, Second

• Late Late x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I23I7 Tester KeenSWH Developer

If anyone can find the atmo. thruster mirroring issue (comparing dev and stable) that was fixed will get a virtual cookie from me :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Xellon

Anybody knows what the first teasered Block was? I actually have no idea.. A smaller Landing Gear maybe?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. posthy

Early update! Will check out render optimizations.

7. Livo

erm, multiplayer fixed ?

Server-Client synchronization fixed?

No?

Surprised after more than a year you won't fix gamebreaker bugs like these. Perhaps you should take a look at ever declining steam rating from
    players that simply turned their upvote to a downvote for this simple reason: You don't know hot to fix your net-code and exploding stuff in
    MP. Prove me wrong > for benefit of everyone. It is clear that you do not plan to fix MP as this does not generate any new income. But adding features
    looks better in eyes of new potential buyers. Same is now being said about your main project Medieval engineers. Both are becoming abandonware.

• Disagree Disagree x 35
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  8. Seth.ps

Its the suspension for wheels :)

Can anyone check if it fixed the issues with mining, if we're able to mine with ships again without meeting an invisible barrier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Drui Keen Update Guy KeenSWH Developer

Fixing multiplayer still in progress. Thanks for your patience!

• Like x 14
    • Friendly x 6
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Late x 1
  10. Omegaton

[DEV 01.159] I can't even play my save now, because the memory usage goes through the roof when I load my save.

https://gyazo.com/7e7881d29b61657e1528c9db1a945b23

I was playing this save yesterday on 01.158 and it was running fine, with about 3 GB of memory usage.

11. gothosan

was there a fix for the mining on planet problem when using drills on pistons?

12. Ed Frost

Epic

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. RobertmxD

Damn, that Missile turret. nice!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Bad Humour

that's a lot of rewriting if entails 1.2gb of information... bloody hell.

Anyways glad to see the improvements.

I still don't see a fix for an extremely debilitating bug I'm having with pistons and rotors. Ive had this happen to two ships of mine which worked fine in the past but since piston and rotor improvements, causes violent and unpredictable explosions.
    I can recreate it by placing 2 pistons end on end it doesn't matter if there is a block between the pistons or not and by putting the two pistons on a rotor. You then safety lock the rotor or the pistons, could be both. It has something to do with the safety locking anyways. Finally you remove the safety lock off of either pistons or rotors and you start trying to do things with them (extend, retract, rotate) either the pistons rip everything apart and explode or the rotors snap the pistons back destroying anything that's in its path (sometimes it tears off the rotors entirely when it does).

I think its something to do with hitboxes moving out of line with the model when safety locking but I'm not entirely sure.

I can send you bp/world files of these ships if you want.

EDIT: Also a request from the steam forums which I quite like:
    [quote=Karmaterrorᵁᴷ Hey devs any chance with that new turret model you could make it so the base can be sunk into armour blocks, having them stuck up looks awfull no matter how good the model hehe ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. tetryon

@Livo
    I think sometimes it is easy to lose sight of the fact that this game is in Alpha - meaning working, but with bugs and still in development. There should be no expectation of stability or completion of any aspect of the game, including multiplayer. If you want completion and stability, don't buy an Alpha game.

The source code is also open. There are AMAs, blog entries, etc. I feel this company deserves far more support than criticism. Weekly dev updates show a good commitment and the complete opposite of abandonware.

To say that fixing netcode doesn't generate new income is wrong - once this game launches, with working netcode, it will generate an increased amount of interest. And if MP isn't working well? Well, we've seen what happened with NMS.
    The CEO has announced a financial reward for netcode source: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2016/08/opening-search-for-ceo-senior-producer_29.html and are seeking MP programmers, and have brought on a new producer for ME.

Yes MP is frustrating right now. As a long-time factorio player, it was frustrating there too, but the devs eventually figured it out and it's now one of the most successful games ever.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. PsicoPato

Awesome update. ^^

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. macgeifer

significant more fps confirmed :eek: thank you keen!

18. spamenigma

Same issue here, Have a ship on our station that keeps moving position into the base/ground spewing stone everywhere.. Yet another player can log in and all is fine on our server like everything is out of sync. My memory is up to nearly 6GB for just spaceengineers. MP is screwed for us.

Only came back after 2 years break to find pistons and rotors killing us and still not working. Disappointing! I hope they can get MP working one day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Echillion

Getting there and the blocks in the teaser are looking sweet!

20. Bad Humour

Also another bug that has been mentioned on the steam forums and I have tried out.
    Rotor lower limits can go no further than -1 now.

EDIT actually all limits can currently go no lower than -1

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. rexxar KeenSWH Developer

The huge patch size is because all the voxel textures were updated with higher resolution versions in a newer compression scheme. These aren't new textures, just better versions of what we already had.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  22. I23I7 Tester KeenSWH Developer

Hey

I have already asked the previous user to send the save file so you may do the same and i will have a look at it.

Thanks!

23. Mix-martes86

We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. PhoenixTheSage

@Drui @I23I7
    Regarding
    - Added Workshop tag "Campaign"

I'd like to mention, it's not -quite- a bug report, more of an oversight, but I'm doing VS work in VRage Editor and I can set custom loading screen images...however they don't seem to be whitelisted for workshop yet. So whether it is set in sandbox.sbc or via script, the DDS has to be within the relative local content directory and will not work in relative mod directories.

25. I23I7 Tester KeenSWH Developer

Thank you for your feedback and passed it on to the guys working on this feature they appreciate it and are going to work on improving this.
    :)

• Like Like x 2
  26. Devon_v

Memory usage is definitely up. I'm back where I was last Thursday with modded worlds that won't load. The only specific issues thrown to the log were Sektan's round conveyor pipes and the Maglev rails, but I'm also getting
    Code:
    Exception occured: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      at SEDrag.CoreDrag.unload()
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.UnloadDataComponents(Boolean beforeLoadWorld)
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.Unload()
      at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.UnloadData_UpdateThread()
      at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.Run(Boolean customRenderLoop, Action disposeSplashScreen)
      at SpaceEngineers.MyProgram.Main(String[] args)
    I figured this would be Deadly Reentry, but it wasn't even loaded at the time. Removed Digi's wings just in case, but that wasn't it either. Anyone recognize that function?

Edit: Scratch that, I don't appear to be able to load anything. The exact error the game gives is "Renderer error - The graphics device encountered a problem. See the log for more details." This is a brand new RX480 with latest drivers as of yesterday.

27. PhoenixTheSage

SEDrag.CoreDrag is most definitely Draygo's Deadly Reentry and Atmospherics, double check to make sure it is truly not in the save or config.
    Also, send him the crash :p

28. Asylumdown

Have we been watching the same software studio? ME was just completely re-released with a giant package of new features. SE is updated every week with accompanying release videos demonstrating that:

a) that there are dozens of real humans whose full time monday-friday jobs are developing these games
    b) That they are trying to find and fix bugs at least weekly, sometimes more than weekly with hot-fixes
    c) That there are major game changing improvements to pretty much everything about Space Engineers being worked on right now, from the way it's rendered & optimized, to the re-design of pretty much every block in the vanilla build menu, to multiplayer netcode.

Considering that the entire Windows operating system gets fewer updates than SE, I fear you've set your bar for 'abadonware' a touch high.

Keen - you're developing an actual universe. Considering that the real one took 13 billion years to get to a 'playable' state for us humans.... what you've done in three years is no less than a miracle.

Thank you for the awesome update, as usual.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 5
    • Disagree x 5
    • Friendly x 4
    • Funny x 1
  29. dominoscraft

^^ + 1 from me also

30. Commander Rotal

Oh, such sweet words.... <3

Edit: is that first teaser a Hinge-block? @Xocliw you really need to start labelling these... Of the top of my head i can't think of a single block that looks like this.
    Also... while i knew it was comming i am very unhappy* with the Missile Turret. The turrets desperately need to be smaller, especially for the size you guys want us to build. They stick out like sore thumbs on ships the size of a Galaxy; on the Red Ship they look like spires...

* i guess it's not worse than before so that's at least something.

• Agree Agree x 7