1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

A good introduction to Lasers

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Democreeper, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Democreeper

Democreeper Trainee Engineer

Many times after a dogfight and a win, your ship will be totaled or just scratched up beyond recognition. And sometimes you cant fit that welder ship/drone into your small ships.
    Perhaps a welder laser would be a good addition.
    The laser job should be only to do the repair part of a welder. Not adding materials to the block. To make armor blocks mold to the original shape. A welder beam would only be needed to be around 5m to 10m.
    Main problem with current techniques of repairing ships is slow and prone to leaving minor damage to both ships (welder and small fighter.)
    Sure you could also make a whole 3x3 of laser but the power drain should be considerable due to the energy needed to fix a block.

Lasers as a weapon would prove more fatal during a dogfight due to the speed of the beam compared to a projectile based weapon.
    That is why I don't think lasers should be a weapon.

Plus more weapons would increase the adversity of gameplay during fights.

2. Levits

Levits Senior Engineer

I would like to second this suggestion. Having to rebuild your ship through the welding torch can end up taking more time than simply starting from scratch. I'm not suggesting that it be a complete repair job as certain parts will likely be completely destroyed, but having a location to dock your ship and then allowing the laser-repair device to patch up minor structural damage would be nice. Connected to them would likely be a conveyor system to provide the raw materials needed to perform the repair work. It would be similar to a long-range welder that simply skims over the ships surface to repair the blocks that it combs over. I can see such a block or device being attached to pistons to move back and forth to ensure complete coverage.

Again I wouldn't say that it would be as efficient at actually constructing a ship when compared to a torch as something of this nature would be unable to push out the raw materials without a whole lot of power, but it would be a way for players to keep from having to scrap their ships after one attempt against an enemy cargo ship. ... Actually... Just thinking about it, if you can somehow later develop this laser system into a manufacturing process for printing ships... I'm thinking this may be a way to mass produce ships later on in development.

Secondly and it goes without saying, Lasers should be implemented at some point in time. Kinetic weapons are great and efficient but everyone knows that lasers are the de' facto weapons of space warfare. Not that they would have the same destructive force as a missile or (hopefully) a cannon, but it would be a very good weapon against fighters and missiles. Again, the energy requirements for such a thing would be relatively high when compared to other weapon systems and therefore would balance itself out between the reactors weight and fuel requirements.

3. Wombats

Wombats Junior Engineer

1. I'm not sure how a laser makes repairing faster

2. Once programming is implemented it should be relatively simple to set up a repair bay sort of thing to fix your ship

3. Possibly there is a type of shipyard / 3D printer system coming which would easily repair ships

4. Democreeper

Democreeper Trainee Engineer

1. What I mean was for the laser to just fix the ship at the same rate, rather than use materials. It's just an energy beam just welding the non-broken parts of a block. Such as a 1 small ship armor block that has 1/1 plates but is bent out of shape.

2. Yeah, once programming is a thing the only part of a ship that might need help is the inside (I like to build large small ships.)

3. You have the thread?

5. Wombats

Wombats Junior Engineer

Yeah the welder already does that. If all the materials are still present the block is just damaged you can repair it without sucking more materials.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.