1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Nerf antennas/Drone control

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Vdragon, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Vdragon

Vdragon Apprentice Engineer

As stated by this thread: https://forums.keenswh.com/post/the-guilty-pleasures-of-drone-piloting-7079272?pid=1284301470
    Drones could make the game very easy and boring, if ever they were to get a way to place blocks (i want to especially make clear that i don't consider the option of not putting a block that do that as a valid way to nerf the drones).
    My suggestion is to limit the antenna control range, to like 0.3-1 km, so the player need to have a solid antenna network to efficiently use his drones.
    It is also possible to introduce a signal strength system, that would make drone control harder at longer range (parasites, temporary disconnection, packet losses/key press misses), which power/capacity of reception would be tied to the antenna range by a function in the style of (numberrelatedtodistance)^(-x) < 0.001 (exemple: antenna range at 1 m, 1/5 of power at 0.9m, antenna range at 1000m, 1/5 of power at 600m, antenna range at 30 km, 1/5 of power at 10 km...)

2. Doctor 0000

Doctor 0000 Trainee Engineer

I think a counter would be a bit more fun, an e-war antenna that cancels out signals, maybe a warhead that shuts down blocks in its radius for a time or until they are manually restarted. Just a few terrible ideas off the top of my head.

3. waterlimon

waterlimon Senior Engineer

IMO drone control is necessary.

Without drones, youll be dying twice a day because of some critical flaw in your miner prototype or because another player came within a 10 km radius of your base. This leads to unrealistic gameplay where death doesnt matter.

With drones, you can hide in a safe bunker hidden in an asteroid and do the dangerous mining, defence and attack operations remotely. Permadeath becomes an actually feasible game mode.

4. Wombats

Wombats Junior Engineer

Current system is self-nerfing: your broadcast antennae is always visible by any enemy you can hope to engage with your drone.

5. Vdragon

Vdragon Apprentice Engineer

Yea, a scrambler would work perfectly with the signal strength stuff.
    I'm not saying drones should be useless, i'm saying they are/will be too powerful, because as soon as there'll be a way to not be forced to go outside of a cockpit and do stuffs, some won't be doing it anymore.

And i personally think the functioning of this is shitty, i'd prefer having to manually tune a frequency than seeing ennemy stuffs as soon as i get close to them...

Also, remember this thread is mostly based on the assumption we'll got a block placer block.

6. RTM

RTM Apprentice Engineer

Death does matter in SE?

Seems to me it doesn't every time I manage to kill myself with welding next thing I know I'm stepping out of a medical room.

7. DanDuncombe

DanDuncombe Apprentice Engineer

He/she did say permadeath. If I remember right it creates you as a new player who can't access anything they owned before death that isn't publicly accessible.

8. darth_biomech

darth_biomech Senior Engineer

A jamming antenna, which disable all incoming and outcoming (including YOURS) signals from antennas and beacons is actually a cool idea.

9. Martinineter

Martinineter Senior Engineer

Electronical warfare, here we come! It might be a little OP vs drones, maybe if you would need one antenna to actively block one signal by scrambling it. You would have to have some kind or dedicated scrambling ship to defend against a drone army, instead of just putting one of those antenna's on every ship.

10. SaturaxCZ

SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

I do not think that reduce the distance of signal will help, it will just request more of antennas in space around your ship so drones will be beter hiden :D ( +1 dron cary many antenas to drop them around your ship ( antena + mini-batery/reactor=GG ) I was planing us it this way from start + decoys and never directly control them from my ship anyway :D ( so my ship stay hiden :D )

11. darth_biomech

darth_biomech Senior Engineer

don't forget that it scrambles EVERYTHING around it. so you too will be unable to use drones or even SEE other ships. It is like never ending smoke bomb.

12. Martinineter

Martinineter Senior Engineer

But you do have the ability to make the enemy drone fleet useless. I think that that would outweigh the scrambling of beacons or communications.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.