1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Add remote controllable 'space engineer' robots AKA cheap disposable bodies to do dangerous stuff wi

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by waterlimon, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. waterlimon

waterlimon Senior Engineer

Now with remote control, I though permadeath could become a feasible game mode, since you wont be dying every 30 mins because of something silly (like deciding to go mining or attack someone)

However, to truly be able to spend your entire life in a bunker covered in 5 layers of heavy armor and no exit, we need the ability to be outside like you actually were there, to do the things you normally would.

For this, I think remote controllable robots could be used. Basically cheap space engineer clones. Except we say they are robots for realism.

This would also allow you to be present in multiple locations at once, since you can switch between the robots (assuming antenna network is functional)

They could be obtained similar to the medbay. Build a robot assembler, and you can spawn a new one whenever you feel like it, assuming there are enough components available.

-Robot assembler (similar to medbay) can be remotely ordered to produce a robot
    -You can remotely control the robot, like a ship, using antenna
    -The robot works exactly like your normal 'body' does. You can walk around, fly around, have inventory, use tools etc.
    -This could be used to make more powerful 'bodies' without breaking realism, and also would justify many other things like being able to withstand 1000g of acceleration.
    -Less walking if you produce a dozen robots and scatter them everywhere

This would solve the gameplay problem where you only have a single, weak body, but are expected to participate in dangerous fights and build in space while random space hazard occur.

We need this for MUH REALISM. No more magic human cloning through medbays. Instead, magic robot cloning through robotbays!

Basically switchable disposable characters implemented in a realistic way.

2. BlankWarningsign

BlankWarningsign Apprentice Engineer

No

If you want Drones you have to BUILD them yourself. The only Android here is Tazoo!

3. waterlimon

Show me how do you build a 2 meters high drone that is just as mobile as the real space engineer, can hold tools, can do hand wave animations from the toolbar, sit in chairs, fly using a jetpack, weld, grind, shoot and not destroy everything it touches all while having a negligible performance and memory impact thx

Just consider the suggestion as 'being able to spawn multiple disposable characters and switch control between them' with some stuff to make it realistic.

4. BlankWarningsign

Would you like to find solutions yourself as an ENGINEER or have the Devs gift wrap everything for you.

Just because your "Androids" are "Superior" to a RC Ship doesn't make it better for Gameplay!

P.S.
    As if death in SE wasn't superfluous enough

5. waterlimon

But you cant fit a ship through a door ;_;

6. BlankWarningsign

Very true...

o_o
    O_O
    WAIT!!! maybe you CAN!!!!

Imma see if a 2x2 ship can fit in a door! BRB!

I'm at school so it'll take me a while to test this!

7. waterlimon

It would be funny if we had a 'fake arm' block that you can poke the door button with to open it...

Or a more complicated arm that will allow you to use control panels through a RC ship (point crosshair at button, press k/i and the arm moves there and you get the control panel up)

Would be useful

8. Zephram

Zephram Apprentice Engineer

I do not think that the game should be spent sitting* in a bunker covered in 5 layers of heavy armor controlling outside character.

* - I mean. It is already <irony>"Siting in a dark basement with laggy connection of your neighbor's wi-fi controling character that is controlling a drone." You are safe enough! It is not like Space Engineers game encrypts your entire harddrive and if you die in game, you lost the encryption key.</irony>

9. waterlimon

You wont be sitting in a bunker, youll be remotely having gunfights and doing parkour in your disposable robots, since its not real and you do not need to fear death or pain.

10. Wombats

Wombats Junior Engineer

The dev's video of this update showed a small drone chasing the player through their ship... that's pretty much the substance of this suggestion, no?

11. waterlimon

No the point was that you could actually have a second body, without endangering the actual living body.

Its basically extending on the remote control of ships such that you can remote control an actual person-ish thing, simply because walking and running around feels nice, and you can really build and fix and do other things you normally can with a ship.

12. theodoulos

theodoulos Trainee Engineer

This game is called space engineers. I don't see much engineering in a bunker.

13. Ericius11

Ericius11 Apprentice Engineer

Errm... I don't see anything more realistic about mass-produced robots compared to mass-produced clones. Gosh... now I think I need to go watch Star Wars....

Anyways, I usually like your ideas, but I don't see what this would add to my gaming experience.

14. theetfireboy

theetfireboy Trainee Engineer

Cool idea but I don't want this in the game. You can almost do this now though, all we need is a placer block so that we can build things. you will also have to build your ships to be drone friendly so no doors, but I think having drones should have some limits and right now those limits are that there a little more awkward to control that your normal player, plus the camera is a but sucky to look through ( I hope they change that though).

15. Leonhardt

Leonhardt Senior Engineer

If they were cheap and easily mass producible, no one would ever do anything themselves.

Also, it doesn't cost you anything when you die (Other than what you're carrying, on permadeath mode) and respawning is free.
    Can't really get much cheaper than that.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

If you can't fit a ship through the door... make the door bigger..

YOU ARE AN ENGINEER GADAMIT... THINK!!

17. drmike

drmike Apprentice Engineer

Wasn't this movie called Surrogates... I can't remember how it ended, was it with all of the androids living happily ever after?

18. Dr. Krunch

Dr. Krunch Apprentice Engineer

Adding a tool that can place/rotate blocks and another one that can interact with control panels would work without adding a whole new game mechanic. Plus, then people could customize their own drones instead of having to use a standard model.

19. GotLag

GotLag Senior Engineer

I believe a 3x2 small drone will fit through doors, with some care.

20. wankerstein

wankerstein Apprentice Engineer

Wait, wasn't that a Bruce Willis movie?

21. taccomcontrol

taccomcontrol Apprentice Engineer

Wow. In this thread, a LOT of "Let's all trash an idea without offering any real critique other than WHARRGARBL"
    Here's why I think the idea is a good one.
    Gameplay.
    Seriously. Right now, you have the ability to make drone ships, yes. But once the boarding party is on your ship? Your drone ship doesn't' do you that much good. As it is, a fight like that on a multiplayer server could be won out solidly based on popularity and nothing more. Drone bots would level the playing field, giving the defending player a chance to wittle the numbers down at range without putting his own helmet in the firing line.
    Also, regarding the "UR AN ENGINURRRRR" nonsense? A smart engineer knows that putting himself in harm's way when it can be done easier and with less risk with a machine? Will go with the machine. Even if the machine is clunkier by comparison. As it is, the idea of sending human beings into space is incredibly stupid these days anyway. Seriously, you're paying millions to ship a 200lb bag of water into orbit. A bag of water that craps and pisses and gets moody and has to be trained extensively. Robots don't have to be trained. Only programmed. Robots don't need water, only a power source. Drop in a little bit of isotopic fuel, or a few folding solars, and it'll run on its own for ages. Robots don't demand pay raises. Robots don't get distracted and drop their tool bags into orbit.
    Smart engineers use their tools. Robotics? A good tool. As it is, it'd be a great addition to see robotics as a new grid form anyway, with replaceable parts and such that could be custom built in a constructor specific for each task, i.e. weaponry, muscle packages for faster running, maneuvering systems, and the like. Much like our desired customizeable suits, it would give yet another avenue for customization, allowing each player to effectively make their own stuff Theirs. And with the addition of programming, these drones could be programmed to move x meters in x direction, about-face, move back, with an if statement for spotting an enemy. Which would not only alleviate a lot of the need for AI development on the part of Keenswh(Let the players do it, they'll come up with wacky things), but would open the doors WIDE for adventure maps.

22. KingdomBragg

KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

It's looking like plaYer2k's microblocks are getting attention from the devs. If implemented, you will pretty much be able to build your own robot.

23. Dr. Krunch

Dr. Krunch Apprentice Engineer

That would be fun, engineering not only ships and the like but also seeing the finer work of building robots.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.