1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Programming is coming to Space Engineers! First Stage this Thursday.

Discussion in 'General' started by Xocliw, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Xocliw

Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Just thought I would link this up for everyone on the forums :).

https://blog.marekrosa.org/2014/09/programming-is-coming-to-space-engineers_15.html

It's Marek on his blog talking about how they will be introducing programming over the next month or so.

What do we all think :D?

2. waterlimon

waterlimon Senior Engineer

3. TodesRitter

TodesRitter Moderator

waterlimon said everything

4. waterlimon

I expect to have a mod with lazorz, sheilds, wrap drivers, teleprotons and space whales by saturday.

5. TodesRitter

TodesRitter Moderator

Dont forget the Robots

6. Wombats

Wombats Junior Engineer

I'm gonna make one of these

[​IMG]

Complete with rolling around on the sidewalk behavior

7. 3trip

3trip Apprentice Engineer

I wonder how much could we program and change things like the sensor block in game? could we program one sensor to control an entire missile with just one computer block, gyroscope and engine?

8. Tristavius

Tristavius Senior Engineer

I will address my response to this topic to both side in the Scottish Independence Vote...

I was born Scottish and lived a good chunk of my life in Scotland. My mum lives there, as do many of that branch of the tree. As do many of my friends. I work in the oil industry, often in the north sea and the company I work for is based in Scotland. As my career matures, chances are I'll be tied to Scotland for my future to some degree.

But because I married and moved to England 2 years ago, I don't get a vote.

&$%$ You.

Seriously.

So, instead of standing in a bloody long line to scribble on a piece of paper on Thursday, I'm going to have a beer and await the next space engineers patch.

(Which unfortunately will probably come out when I'm in Abu Dhabi airport awaiting my Heathrow flight... but screw you anyway; I'm not even going to look at the news when I land... just going to fire up steam and see what people have made) :p

9. merak

merak Apprentice Engineer

what does API mean?

10. Jikanta

Jikanta Apprentice Engineer

application programming interface

11. waterlimon

You will probably be able to make any kind of fancy manoeuvres (hate trying to type that word) like spirals or random fly-like movement with smooth thrust control.

Initially the major obstacle will probably be limited sensors. But even with proximity sensors it should be possible to make pretty smart missiles since you can properly process the sensor data.

I would like to have a laser distance sensor of some kind, that would be pretty flexible. Or a camera that produces a low res depth image (so the code can check which pixel is closest and fly in that direction).

Those are possibly performance heavy though so I dont know how itll work.

12. Zephram

Zephram Apprentice Engineer

And I was making fun of "hard-permadeath" mode. (If you die in game, then the game will punish you by uninstalling, erase all your files and format your HDD.) :crazy:
    Now it seems theoretically possible.

Edit: It would even be possible to craft Bitcoin miner or implement economics :p. Oh... the possibilities.

13. Kuu Lightwing

Kuu Lightwing Senior Engineer

So, they want to add more blocks like Timer. TBH, I don't think like these fit the game. Really, we have a computer like on every single component except for armor and thrusters. Why do we need to use down huge blocks like that to have simlpe functions like queuing some actions together and adding a time delay?

14. Jikanta

Jikanta Apprentice Engineer

Just putting this here..

"These scripts will be shared through Steam Workshop and the game will insure they will run in a safe sandboxed environment (scripts won’t be able to access your local files, send packets over your network, launch applications, etc.)."

15. mhalpern

mhalpern Senior Engineer

gameplay reasons, timer block is for those who don't program but want similar results

16. gFleka

gFleka Junior Engineer

Oh, the AI is coming after us! Laws of robotics!

17. waterlimon

Theyll totally release rails together with the programming update and nobody will care...

18. mhalpern

mhalpern Senior Engineer

We don't need no stinking laws of robotics in SE... just to start recording when things go wrong and put it on YouTube

19. waterlimon

Hmmm...

Robo-ticks

We'll definitely see a mod for those.

20. 3trip

3trip Apprentice Engineer

You'll need a Pyro-XL if you want to get anywhere close!

21. Zourin

Zourin Apprentice Engineer

Not that I likely will do much with the API, since i'm a bit of a purist, but it's always fun and interesting to poke at the code. Side effects of a programming major. ^.^

I'm still trying to play with Timer blocks to see what I can get away with for sequencing. I feel like I'm on the cusp of programming my own train with timer blocks and sensors, but my sheer laziness is getting in the way, along with petty design considerations.

Hopefully this will finally be the can opener for all the UI and niggling problems the game has, such as a messy control panel interface, universal console access, a lack of item filtering, non-aggregating cargo space, and bad battery power management.

Of course, I don't think it'll fix problems like the broken core physics. I found it hilarious after making a simple gravity pendulum that not only did it deviate (despite no collisions), but *gained* energy in each pass, moving past the point of release.

22. Thedevistator

Thedevistator Senior Engineer

ya like auto building drones if done right or self navigation robots this is gonna be huge.

23. WereBottle

WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

I think this will be like the modding update, were the fun will just snowball.

24. waterlimon

No, this IS the modding update.

Being able to change the mesh and parameters of existing blocks is nothing compared to being able to reprogram the entire gameplay.

25. Wazoo117

Wazoo117 Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]

26. galacticon

galacticon Apprentice Engineer

ME AM SO HAPPY!

27. Kuu Lightwing

Kuu Lightwing Senior Engineer

I have no issues with its function. I just don't like that it is a separate block, and not a feature of main station/ship computer.

28. Roguebantha

Roguebantha Trainee Engineer

So wait, this upcoming Thursday; will they release programmable blocks or just more modding API stuff?

29. Crewman87

Crewman87 Apprentice Engineer

API should be coming first. After the API I believe the programming block will come next.

30. Thedevistator

Thedevistator Senior Engineer

I can't wait I want to see new guns and missions and AI robots this update is gonna be one of the best one yet it's finally happening.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.