1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Can we stop with the necros?

Discussion in 'General' started by Forgemasterhd, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Forgemasterhd

Forgemasterhd Junior Engineer

I'm getting quite flustered seeing so many old threads bubbling up to the top of the forums like the refuse of old ships from the depths of a grinding void. Most of the time these necros aren't even relevant to anything happening at present in SE, and are just cluttering General Discussion.

I know it isn't technically against the rules, but it sure is annoying. >:C

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  2. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

Eve used to have the same problem except that people were being more intentional about it and were trying to flood the first page with old posts (until their account was banned because the banhammer swings mighty there). In any case, my point is that they made it so that if a thread didn't have a current response within 60 days it would autolock. I don't know if the forum software here allows for that but I think it would really help because honestly after 60 days the information will probably be old anyways as we have noticed in many of the necro's.

3. Forgemasterhd

That would help, I think. The only somewhat "relevant" necro I've seen, of the many I've seen, was the programming block one. I would probably also shorten the auto-lock time to 30 days or at minimum two weeks. This of course, would be different for the suggestions forum (I'd keep it 60 there or maybe increase it to 90, personally).

4. Wizlawz

Wizlawz Master Engineer

i make a thread on whatever , but other thread(s) of same nature already exist;... get told to

USE SEARCH

searched found the subjects i want to post in

STOP NECROING!

damned if you do, damned if you don't

aye this ^

5. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

It's a matter of when to and when not to necro. Let's look at page one here and the thread title I'm disappointed in what I'm hearing about A.I. That was made a year ago and somebody brought it up to say something about it. Things have changed in a year and some very recent video's show a very different light on the subject, of which it was discussed in that thread until after it was necro'd. That is a bad time to necro.

However, raise your hand if you have seen either the military video regarding their rail gun or their laser in more than 5 threads with a suggestion of putting said items in game because of said video.

o/

That is a good time to necro. Nothing has really changed in either of those 2 fields so it would be better to contribute to a thread that already has much of the stuff you wish to discuss about. To me that's the entire reason why the idea megathread exists right? To link people to ongoing discussions on a topic?

6. Forgemasterhd

Dat ^

7. Wombats

Wombats Junior Engineer

Fighting spam with spam I see

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

I'm going to bookmark this thread... then in a few months when it is dead.. I'm going to write something in it.

Unless it gets locked... hahaha..

9. entspeak

entspeak Senior Engineer

Some threads have polls and finding ways to bump them is the only way to get new votes. In the connector thread, for instance, it went from 80 to almost 100 hundred votes because it was brought back to the top. A necro would really be bringing back a six month old thread simply to discuss it. Of course, some of these may be relevant to a current issue. I agree that it is damned if you do, damned if you don't. We want people to use the search function which will result in a necro'd thread, but we don't want people to necro threads.

10. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

And that's one of those ones that is perfect for the necro. The issue is still current and no major changes have modified it's outcome.

11. Forgemasterhd

Not at all, at the time that this thread was created, I didn't see any other posts within the first 3 pages on this issue.

Plus, I wanted to attempt to draw some awareness from the mods to this issue, as these necro threads just keep appearing.

12. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

help the mods reporting this, then

13. Wombats

Wombats Junior Engineer

No, not at all. What people are supposed to necro are old suggestions that are the same as theirs. The things necroed this week were archaic year-old ramblings which were based on statements made even before that which have since changed. They weren't still applicable. But necroing a 'shields' suggestion before making your own is still advisable.

14. mhalpern

mhalpern Senior Engineer

Yeah I think of it more as a time to live issue, the old programming and AI and programming threads, for instance are FILLED with outdated information, complaints and arguments, now that we have it, ALL that is more or less outdated, as we can make more informed inquiries now that we have in-game programming, and see what it can do. One thing that should NOT be necroed is a suggestion posted in GD, it should be left to die, IMHO, if it has a poll maybe, but those votes were made with outdated information, so I am iffy about it.

15. Geneticus

Geneticus Senior Engineer

Actually I think there is a forum bug hitting right now on some of them. I've seen threads at the top of the list and when I go into them, the last activity was months/years ago. Some people aren't looking at the dates and commenting as if they were new threads, but its because they were at the top when they went into them.

16. Wizlawz

Wizlawz Master Engineer

aye, i hear that.

just recently did that myself yesterday:

https://battlefield.play4free.com/en/forum/showthread.php?tid=116908&pid=1956260#pid1956260

[​IMG]

17. TheQuixote

TheQuixote Apprentice Engineer

Most of the threads I'm seeing have a start date of 09/01 ( this one having 08/01 and 09/01 dates )

No year...

Don't know if that coincides with the start of the spam bot problem but I suspect this may be an artifact of some sort of security breach.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
  18. AutoMcD

AutoMcD Senior Engineer

the date format really bothers me, i never know which is the day or month.

19. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

European calendar - DD/MM/YEAR

20. TheQuixote

TheQuixote Apprentice Engineer

Doh, well then those are just recent posts.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.