1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Update 01.066 – GPS, Text panel, Mod sorting

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Gwindalmir

Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

You're post seemed to be a lot of QQ, but I'll respond.

I've said this before: the biggest mistake IMO was not so much releasing a dedicated server as early as they did, but allowing (and partnering with?) hosting companies to run it.
    The game is NOT in a state that that should have even been considered.

I do agree that the DS should have been in a 'testing only' state, not a full on "put in production" mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Ulfsark

Ulfsark Master Engineer

Um, save the server your favorites, then right-click on your steam tray icon, goto servers, and click favorites.
    Problem solved.

3. Ulfsark

Ulfsark Master Engineer

What this update the previous update tells me, is that Keen will soon be bringing this game into beta stage. Most of the major features are in, these are "convenience" features.
    As for the rotors/pistons/landing gear whiners, BETA STAGE. No, its not game breaking. You can still play the game WITHOUT THOSE ITEMS. There are work arounds. Is it a PITA? Sure. But it most certainly is NOT game breaking. The bug a few months ago where you couldn't weld or grind anything, now THAT was, obviously, game breaking.

4. zDeveloper10

zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

people shouldn't have to depend on mods for core features. mods are good for adding what's missing when there's no official alternative, or to tweak the existing features to your taste. there's nothing wrong with them taking popular mods as a hint to add it as a feature.

5. Stardriver907

Stardriver907 Master Engineer

The most disappointing thing about this update is the response.

I'm guessing that all the detractors out there understand what alpha means, so I won't go there for now.

Drui had the most valid point ever: Don't whine - Report. Reporting does not mean the solution will be available fifteen minutes later. I seriously doubt that anyone here gives a rat's butt that you can't run a game on your server because of a bug. Seriously. I have close to 500 hours in this game and I'm happier than a baby in a barrel full of titties. Alpha game not performing flawlessly on your server? How is that even possible?

This is update 1.066. We're not even at 1.07, let alone 2.0. I guess that means a) they're still working on it and b) there's lot's to do between now and 1.1.

As always, I suggest that those that are so upset that the year-old bugs aren't fixed yet would just explain how they handled it in the game they made so I can go out and buy that game. Seriously, just post a link.

God, you paid ten bucks or less for this game. What did you expect?

Game is unplayable? BULLSHIT! I've been watching a guy on Steam Broadcast playing for the last four hours, and I haven't heard a single negative comment, but a bunch of people in his chat want in. What your problem?

If you want to go on about not being able to play god to a bunch of people on your server, please don't clog up this forum with your tears. Use your own website. I'm sure KSH would like to sell this game at $60 just like the big guys, and they understand that ain't gonna happen until all this stuff you're crying about gets addressed. That might possibly be why they are not even trying to fake saying this game is even in beta.

I'm 60 years old and I have never, ever in my life, spent a dime on anything that gets better every week, even if it's just a little better. It's an odd concept that I still can't get my head around, and I truly feel sorry for anyone that can't appreciate that. I mean that sincerely. If you came in here and bitched about pistons and rotors, I'm talking to you. Grow up.

As for the rest of you, the mature, patient ones that understand that Rome was not built in a day (or a year) please examine your feelings before falling into the easy trap of negative criticism, at least in this particular forum. In this post they want your feedback on this update. They are not looking here for your problems with something else. You can, for example, express your disappointment that the text doesn't appear on the screen, but don't act like they don't know that, or that they don't care that it doesn't. This helps no one, and the game is out in alpha because they need our help. Let's give them what they need so that we can get what we want.

But you guys knew that already ;)

6. MainTango

MainTango Apprentice Engineer

But... but they wants it nao!

7. dark3mpir3

dark3mpir3 Trainee Engineer

Great, I can confirm death loops still haven't been fixed. Dieing repeatedly in server, all my friends die too for no reason. Just keeps killing us after every respawn, but hey, at least the guy on "Steam Broadcast" can play for 4 hours.
    Can also confirm the bug that causes whole parts of the map to vanish isn't fixed yet. Whole stations/ships just disappear without a trace.
    You would think stuff like this would be at the very top of the bug list instead of GPS, and in-game notepad. Friends and I can't even play the game until these are fixed.

8. mnjiman

mnjiman Trainee Engineer

I was about to go on a slight rant but someone brought up a good point, the game is still considered alpha. A lot of the content being added is being added so its in the game. This content isnt perfect. This content is screwed up and not balanced and not pretty... but that isnt the point right now.

9. Ramsey86

Ramsey86 Trainee Engineer

Another bull**** update while KSH spends their time working on the Xbox port and ME...

FINISH THIS GAME that has made you millions before you do other garbage. If they said ME was cancelled today and they would do nothing else but work on SE until it was done, I would be happy as heck.

Bugs have been in this game longer than I care to remember.

And what happened to bug fixing patches? These are braking more than they fix...

And Rails?

And Netcode?

And Survival Content?

And a GPS system that isn't a total joke?

10. Ramsey86

AND IF I HEAR ONE MORE PERSON MENTION "ALPHA }" I'M GONNA FLIP. THIS GAME IS BEING SOLD IN WALMART, IN A BOXED CASE, WITHOUT A SINGLE WORD ABOUT EARLY ACCESS OR ALPHA TO BE FOUND.

11. RayvenQ

RayvenQ Moderator

Except every picture of retail SE I've seen has a box with EARLY ACCESS on the back of the packaging.

12. galacticon

galacticon Apprentice Engineer

Wow, a lot of bad attitudes on here. Where does your sense of entitlement come from? Check yourself and listen to the developers words: they are developing the game. It has not been abandoned.

13. galacticon

galacticon Apprentice Engineer

Well said.

14. gimmilfactory

gimmilfactory Junior Engineer

I agree with this. At least let us re-bind the key. I have, over a week's period, managed to exported 300 blueprints without wanting to.

And I tried using "c" as my down/crouch both before and after using ctrl; it doesn't suit my play style at all.

15. Ramsey86

Prove it...

Just got back from Wal Mart, while I was there I double checked. No where to be found...

16. RayvenQ

RayvenQ Moderator

UK and (I think) australian boxes have it, so if they changed the packaging just for the US version, which there's no real reason to do....Unless they have different packaging for two english speaking countries, which again. Was it a thin case, a grey box, a thicker box or a DVD Case box?

17. DaveUnder

DaveUnder Apprentice Engineer

Thank you for the update.

GPS/Waypoint - I personally think this game does not need this feature/module. The concept, that you might get lost is much more valuable in my mind. And you were already able to build your own beakons for mapping the area you have visited etc.
    But most players seem to like the idea of having solid coordinates. So seems nice addition in overall.

TextPanel - Maybe improvement would be to make it display the Title on it's surface. Then it can be used as actual Sign as well, to name your areas in station and ships. In future, add different size displays for different use cases ingame.

Mod sorting - well done.

Hoping for new update in 7 days :)

Dave Under

18. Pontiac

Pontiac Apprentice Engineer

I'm 100% for weekly updates.

Good work by ALL your teams.

I do have a question about the text panel. Is it on the drawing board to have text PUT on the screen while not looking at a GUI? A few mods go and change beacons and antennae and I hate it, but I understand why they do it. (I understand that the actual functionality of text on the screen may not be in the NEXT update, but, is it at least on the road map for this particular block?)

If text rendering does go out, it would be nice to have the option to set a font size, and display distance. For display distance, only render text to a player when within a certain distance of the block. If I want text to be displayed only when I'm a few meters away, it'd save rendering time when I'm 500 meters away and barely able to see the text block anyways. For font size, if I'm 50 meters out, larger text would be more useful, however, if I'm sitting in a chair, smaller text would be useful to see more information.

Status reports that revolve around power production, consumption and reactor inventory status at a glance, populated via the programmable block, all to be viewable while standing a few feet away would be AWESOME.

While standing near assemblers, having a programmable block update a screen to report what inventory is in all cargo containers and showing what I'm short on would be invaluable. I'd throw a sensor block that'd turn on and off a timer to show me that update, so if I'm not around, I'm not pounding the hell out of a thread to look through hundreds of blocks capable of storing inventory.

While standing near refineries, having a programmable block update a screen to report what ores I'm short on and need to go mine ALSO would be invaluable.

While out mining, I could have a screen show me what ores I have on my ship and whether I need to start dumping stone. I don't have to go through each inventory item manually and do a mental rough count on the total amount of silicon versus stone.

For future, it'd also be nice to have a text screen that is the size of the 3x3 window, or, allow to be merged and treated as one block, so I could have a 6hx12w block of text. Changing the color would be nice as well, so I could make general base status screen.

Also, @script_developers, even though at this point the text panel may not be that useful for displaying text, it probably CAN get around the lack of the programmable block not retaining its variables between runs. ;) That is, assuming that the ModAPI allows modification and/or reading of the text.

19. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

But that's just the thing, we can't. Yet.

20. Devlah

Devlah Trainee Engineer

Well, unfortunately Wal-Mart will "release the hounds" on you if they catch you trying to take pictures in the store. We wouldn't want anyone to ACTUALLY be able to call them on that price comparison now would we? Looking at the box art via Amazon.com shows that no mention of "Alpha" is on the packaging (U.S. Version).

That said, it makes more sense to have some sort of sticker on the outer plastic wrap mentioning alpha rather than on the box itself. It costs a considerable amount of capitol to design and produce those boxes, and the game is in a constant state of flux. It would be impractical to release new boxes with each development stage. A simple printed sticker on the other hand would provide a far more economical (and easily modified) indicator of product status.

On the one hand, I would be hesitant to release a boxed version of a game still in development, but on the other, doing so provides resources that help fund development and maintain production.

Personally, I bought-in before the hand-tools even had a function, and I have no regrets. I can think of no other game in existence right now that has such a rapid development cycle that there is a new version number change (sometimes 2) every single week without fail. Not only do they implement popular suggestions from the community, but when they see a MOD that has a significant amount of use in the workshop, they made it part of the vanilla game. The only other game I have seen do that was Minecraft (pistons were a MOD before it became soo popular that they made it part of the game proper).

At the time of this writing, Space Engineers is #37 in the top 100 games played on steam and has an Overwhelmingly Positive rating (95% of the 31,369 user reviews for this game are positive). Clearly, they are doing something right. I'd hate to see this game ruined by a vocal minority like soo many other games before it.

21. Pontiac

If its on the road map, great, I'm so looking forward to it, and I'm sure there are a LOT of other people, both in terms of script and mod developers as well as the laymen who are neither but want to put up basic signs to say "This way to the space can".

22. Pontiac

Sadly, the negative comments hindering a games value happens way too often, and often are not a true reflection of the game in itself, and in its current situation. :( The thing is, the happy people are busy playing the game, and may not even know a forum exists. The bad thing is that people who are thinking about getting the game see all the negative criticism and walk away.

Personally, I decide if I'm going to buy a game based on people doing reviews or "Lets Play"s on YouTube, and if videos are scarce, I'll read very long winded, and well constructed comments. I'll take in a long winded, thoughtful comment more so than a "It just frick'n sucks" to heart. Some people don't have the patience to do the walking to find where to put their money.

I bought SE back in April 2014 and I've gotten my $20 worth.

23. Lord_Anubis

Lord_Anubis Trainee Engineer

And what about the framerate??? I cant walk or fly, without that it's look like Bullettime???:confused:

24. MainTango

MainTango Apprentice Engineer

That's your simulation speed running below 1.0. You can check by pressing shift-F11. There are several possible reasons why your sim speed might be below acceptable levels.

25. Lord_Anubis

Lord_Anubis Trainee Engineer

okay, thats what i checked first, but this is all happend after that update last week. Before that it was all in a really good speed.

26. WarHaber

WarHaber Trainee Engineer

I have the same problem :(

27. LetTheWookieeWin

LetTheWookieeWin Apprentice Engineer

Where is your server? I want to check it out and see how well it runs.

Ya pal...lot's of QQ... Get over it...sometimes adults need to say what needs be said..

Had to put your two cent's in though and be an ass while agreeing with me. Now go to bed and don't come out of your room until you can play well with others.

28. LetTheWookieeWin

LetTheWookieeWin Apprentice Engineer

[SIZE= 10pt]My sense of entitlement comes from paying for a neglected part of the game. It's called a DS server, which sometimes is rendered unplayable due to halfass testing.[/SIZE] Something as easy as making sure a check box works seems to be a challenge when it comes to the DS side of things. Meantime they keep adding things that modders have done, while ignoring the same bugs in the game for months.
    [SIZE= 10pt]Again fanboys…Alpha or Beta is a little different when you hit 1 million copies and selling in retail stores no matter what pretty stickers they put on it about being early access. If you guys don’t want to hold KEEN accountable that’s fine, but I am.[/SIZE]

29. DiFnus

DiFnus Trainee Engineer

-not really happy with that gps ... i think it must be an option... build in gps- block something like that (at least)
    that allows to see waypoints,only if you're in that 1 specific ship (with build-in gps) ...Before that i loved the way of placing antenna's/beacons powered by solarpanels
    that broadcast his location, making sort of a waypoint. makes it a little engineering feel-right.

gps system now makes it to easy.
    but its a gr8 feature... and why not ;)

-idem for the screen: loved to see text on it without interacting with... OR...
    An idea: Make it possible to interact with an display where a camera is linked-on.
    should looking gr8 in my control-room. (for everyone interactable .. no acces denied crap... because its an display ;) )

-mod sorting thing was also needed;) gr8 work on that!! looks nice and clean... it was getting very messy over here ;)

30. tommygunner70

tommygunner70 Trainee Engineer

Thought of that possibility before starting this post, but that isn't the case. Else I would have had notepad++ show a spontaneous 'ENO' somewhere

Before the update I was using a mod that kind of gave the same functionality. I've certainly noticed that the position you respawn in are somewhat random. and on the multiplayers I host I move a long ass way away from the spawn point. so far even that if I do end up dying from wandering into me welders while they are on, I wouldn't be able to see the beacon much less figure out what heading I need to turn too to capture the signal eventually. beacons and antenna's don't have unlimited range after all. at least not anymore.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.