1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Youtube Revenue (overlay advertisement) allowed?

Discussion in 'General' started by iamXnl, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. iamXnl

iamXnl Trainee Engineer

I'm just wondering, as I see a lot of Youtubers posting video's of Space Engineers; what's Keen's standpoint regarding Tubers that enable the revenue option (pre-video advertisement and/or overlay advertisements) on their video's.

I've read the Terms & Use, Affiliate program and FAQ and couldn't really extract if Keen allows it or not.
    (probably due to my terrible English legal interpretation or desire to interpret legal stuff correctly).

I can imaging that the video's are advertisements/marketing for the game itself and any sale based on those video's (regardless of using the affiliate link) are income for continuing development. (in similar form as stated with the affiliate program).

My opinion would be; If Youtubers are encouraged to allow monetizing their video's with youtube's revenue system, using Space Engineers content (thus allowing displaying graphics, sounds, music, etc. as long as it is recognizable as the game Space Engineers and with credits towards Keen Software House in the extended description) could potentially generate more leads for sales as more players and youtubers can profit on multiple systems (affiliate and youtube revenue) thus stimulated to create more video's.

If my opinion is either shared or discouraged by Keen, perhaps it's advisable to provide a statement on their Terms of Use or FAQ to clarify this topic before youtubers get the google police on their .... you know.... :)

Any thoughts about this with the community? (e.g. not legal wise but demand wise?).

2. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  3. Commander Rotal

Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I don't think SE would be as big as it is without Youtube; they'd probably be delighted to see another channel promote it.

4. Mike55520

Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

It's paid advertising that keen doesn't have to pay for so I'd imagine its ok

Butnim no lawyer

5. Stardriver907

Stardriver907 Master Engineer

My YouTube channel is monetized and neither Keen nor Google has said anything. Google is usually pretty prompt about such things.

6. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

anyways, there is no big money doing videos, unless you have millions subs and views. they also cut the payment even more now, like half of what it was at the beginning. If it wasnt because I enjoy doing videos, I would have quit a long time ago

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mix-martes86

Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

Yeah, I never activated it on my account either, I have no audience that'd justify bothering the user like that. In fact, I have no audience at all. the video that reported me the most visits was one with source planets, and it was like 10,000 visits, the rest of them, are lucky to get 20. :D Maybe if the source didn't get obsolete, I may have kept doing videos and getting an (small) audience from the hype.

Cheers

8. iamXnl

iamXnl Trainee Engineer

Spets pointed in the right direction with : https://www.keenswh.com/press.html

To clarify; I'm not intending to create a "massive" video channel as I'm to darn lazy to put in the time to edit stuff but I was just wondering as it would be a great marketing tool if it is allowed and would encourage less lazy players to start channels. Sometimes it's more fun to watch others play and fumble about than doing it myself :p (also good for inspiration when having an " engineering block " )

9. Kira

Kira Apprentice Engineer

Who cares? Fair use.

10. Bumber

Bumber Senior Engineer

It's not fair use when you're making money.

11. Dreokor

Dreokor Senior Engineer

Keen gets their advertising regardless of people making revenue of it or not....whoever wants revenue gets it and who doesnt want it can still make all the videos they want just for fun.

This is the way it is and It's probably what works best for everyone.

12. Kira

Kira Apprentice Engineer

.... Yes it is.

13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Engineer

I don't need to worry about monetizing my videos. They're that bad, no one watches them. In-fact thinking about it, they may pay me to take them down. :cool:

I do however, enjoy everyone else's videos about SE.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hesterry

Hesterry Apprentice Engineer

Unfortunately, big corporations still sue the shit out of people and win - despite fair use law. These days, "Fair Use" only applies to YouTube/Twitch if you're using a small amount of material for a review or some type of news reel. "Lets Play"s and other gameplay videos do not fall under this term, and are now considered to be copyright infringement. If you don't believe me, ask any popular YouTuber or Twitch streamer, or watch one of the many videos on the topic - every single one of them will tell you how dangerous and absurdly unforgiving copyright laws are in this regard. Hell, just look at the Nintendo fiasco that started just this year. They've made it illegal for people to use their games to create content unless you agree to give them 30% of ALL revenue on your channel - not just Nintendo-related content. These laws may become even more stringent with the Trans-Pacific Partnership on the verge of being ratified.

Fortunately, every single sensible game company (I'm looking at you, Rockstar -_- ) allows their content to be shown and monetized on YouTube, Twitch, and other similar services for the reason others have mentioned here: it's free advertising, and literally nothing builds a playerbase like having prolific streamers and YouTubers playing your game.

15. Kira

Kira Apprentice Engineer

Nintendo can suck a big one. They're a terrible company.

And sure. Companies ignore American law because they are dicks, but I'm sure not going to step on egg shells for them. Granted Justice (or in this case injustice) is only served to the rich, but that doesn't mean we should toss away our rights of the press.

16. Dreokor

Dreokor Senior Engineer

And companies wonder why pirates exist....they have pretty much made copyright an issue more than a set of rules.

17. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm no lawyer and not giving legal advice.

But generally, a company will write you a "nastygram" aka a cease and desist letter. Lawyers are expensive. So pursuing a guy who is making $100 a month from Youtube videos generally isn't worth going after in a lawsuit if the person willfully terminates their behavior.

To get money from you, first and foremost you have to have money or making a ton of it. You don't get rich suing poor people... as a lawyer. So you get a "please stop" letter. What you choose to do after that is of your legal concern. I've been threatened with lawsuits a couple of times in unrelated matters. One I quit what I was doing and the other I just laughed in the lawyer's face (I knew the law)... plus I really wasn't worth suing.

From what I have observed, Keen encourages people to post content. They've even commented on peoples' Youtube channels. Youtube is a strong source of tutorials for the game. There is a ton of content discussing particular player built assets. Keen would be foolish to sue a popular content provider that features their game. These individuals generate free interest in the game. Look at how much hype comes from Youtube channels that have leaked some of the planets content. The amount of interest is a really positive thing for Keen to get a barometer on whether their efforts are going to pay off or not.

They would be penny wise and pound foolish to start throwing their legal weight around, IMO. You don't put the knife to your fanbase... you encourage them. If someone is popular enough to make a couple of dollars for the hundreds if not thousands of hours of free advertising for Keen's game, then I'd just let them have it. The worst thing that I might do is make them sign an agreement as a content partner that ensures my control of the intellectual property but still allow them to keep the chump-change from the Youtube channel.

18. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

I use so much music in my videos that more than half of my videos are monetized by some scam companies that holds the artist content rights or whatever, like AdRev, ingroove, etc. So, supposedly it was 50/50 if the copyright holder do not take down the video, or complain about it (I got a few strikes :/ one from Take2, I posted the Robbery mission from GTA4, they also deleted several videos of GTA4 without even telling me) but they just take everything, 100% of the 0.0005 pennies I made for video anyways. So, even if I use 5 seconds of some music, all my work, edition, and stuff worth nothing, I dont get a penny. If you see my channel, I started this since 2005, there was no youtubers, vlogers, money, whatever infestation as it is nowadays, and I dont think Im a youtuber either, Im just like to share what I like to do only in video games I enjoy.

19. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You can cheaply invest in royalty-free music for your projects. You can purchase royalty-free production music for as little as $10 a track. You can use the track as many times as you like on different videos. So a small library of 4-10 songs will go a long way.

If you're really in a pinch, there are people who even license their music for free under creative commons.

Just Google royalty free production music creative commons.

https://audionautix.com/

https://www.bensound.com/

20. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

meh, most of those free royalty music just sux or does not met what Im looking for. I use music from indie artist too, and of course I always contact them first for permission and everything. But sometimes I have to use copyrighted music, just coz I like it, is a little risky because the strikes, but.. well :/ and yeah I purchased a few track licenses, but Im not a professional youtuber or whatever they call themselves :p

21. DarkGhost

DarkGhost Junior Engineer

Question answered here. Locking this as you derail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.