1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

1.108 Low memory when trying to load a planet?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Napoleocool, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. CCCP_Punk 2

CCCP_Punk 2 Trainee Engineer

Set pagefile.sys more then 20 gb - and crashes go out. Seems like the game uses 12-16 gb ram and 10-16 gb pagefile.sys.
    intel 5930k
    16 gb ddr4
    GTX970
    Game is loading successfully with ultra graphics, scenario "Star System".

2. infiltr8

infiltr8 Trainee Engineer

I can run the game with 6GB RAM without Problems...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. DrFallen25

DrFallen25 Trainee Engineer

and this is why it should of had DX9 support. Unless you're running 980s you not going to see that 60fps that we'd all like. Shame really I've checked out this update with my whole 12fps it's really nice but please keen give it DX9.

4. Prime

Prime Trainee Engineer

SE is using about 4.6 gigs of my 8 so far, the FPS on a fullscale planet suffers hard though. I feel like the original creators 50-60km fullsize planets and 8-16km sized moons was likely nearer the mark performance wise. But whoever is leading put their foot down at some point, resulting in the current scale of doom.

Have you guys all tried updating your drivers? One would think they're developing on newer systems. If I recall correctly, they even dev on respectable, but not ultimate machines. I don't see any reason why planets shouldn't be smooth as butter for you all. They seem ok to me, though I can't lie about E:GS running smoother.

5. Syncaidius

Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Seems like the ninja-patch last night fixed the out of memory problem (temporarily?).

Game is running stable at 80 - 85% ram usage on 8GB while approaching a planet now.

EDIT:
    Game crashed before i could crash my battleship. Unrelated to RAM this time. :(

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  6. Muyu

Muyu Trainee Engineer

7. francogp

francogp Apprentice Engineer

You can't compare a game with a STATIC, non persistent, "Tiny country", that have loading screens every time you enter a house or a cave... with a game with deformable, construction enable, destructible and persistent ENTIRE WORLDS, (SPACE included, with a solar systems).. WITHOUT loading screens. The computational power needed on both games are incomparable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Phand

Phand Master Engineer

Hi,

please provide me with world file and log form the session. We are investigating. Thank you! ;) And sorry for any inconveniences.

• Like Like x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  9. Muyu

Muyu Trainee Engineer

You're not wrong... but you're not right either. It doesn't come down to the content of the game but rather the structuring of the engines and code running said games. Memory consumption, as I've stated in the thread I've started in regards to this issue, is an optimization issue. For all we know, Keen may have hit a dead-end and may not be able to fix this problem because the voxels being rendered are so memory expensive. Though that said, we had this very same issue almost a year ago with standard-sized large ships (roughly 150meters long, 50meters wide, for example) consuming endless amounts of RAM until the game would just become unresponsive and crash.

TL;DR

Skyrim is a finished game, and is very well ( as much as I hesitate to say so ) designed, for what it is.
    Space Engineers is still a very early stages Early Access alpha test game and is constantly being rewritten/tweaked to work better, with things constantly being added that break or rebreak specific features and functionality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Napoleocool

Napoleocool Trainee Engineer

Thank you for your response. However, the issue was fixed by enabling the pagefile in windows. But could you please fix the ridiculous fall damage on planets? I wasn't killed by falling three centimeters in the real life.

11. CCCP_Punk 2

CCCP_Punk 2 Trainee Engineer

Issue NOT fixed. Yes, the game doesn't crush with pagefile. But it uses up to 20 gb physical and virtual memory! <---This is the issue!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.