1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Keen is totally invading my privacy and preparing to make ME into p2w game with micropayments

Discussion in 'General' started by waterlimon, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. waterlimon

waterlimon Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

What evil things they might be doing with this data? Why do all the forum smilies have happy face so I cant put them here for emphasis? Oh there it is :mad: BUT why is there no the feature so I can cross out that sentence I wrote before realizing its there in another tab?????

Dont try tell me theyre just trying to improve the gameplay with sophisticated middleware and fix even minor potential issues faster, its all a government conspiracy!11

Discuss.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  2. Ash87

Ash87 Senior Engineer

Fourth button from the right, on the posting window is called 'Insert..." click that, and on it's drop down you can select strike through.

p2w would be wildly out of left field, given we have don't really have the games set up around that, so... your random title doesn't make sense.

Data analytics is fine... is it in SE's files too by chance?

3. waterlimon

waterlimon Senior Engineer

Yeah I posted on SE forum too.

Didnt bother to look what *exactly* they do because it would take a lot of time to browse through everything, they probably havent started even using it yet, and I dont even care...

Title is sarcasm, its obvious enough what theyll be using it for. (Its just that I saw "freemium" when I googled the name)

4. mexmer

mexmer Senior Engineer

hmm interesting, don'ta have such thing on my installation

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  5. Ash87

Ash87 Senior Engineer

Guess they are spying exclusively on waterlimon :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. mexmer

mexmer Senior Engineer

i suspect, he has something else loaded, that uses afforementioned extension and came to wrong conclusion.
    i tested both SE and ME prior and after planet update and didn't have this extension. also i don't have such assembly even registered in my .NET.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PsicoPato

PsicoPato Senior Engineer

VIRUS!!! RUN TO THE HILLSS!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. mexmer

mexmer Senior Engineer

ok, after today update it poped up in SE and in ME too

although i would not go as far as "invading privacy", i suspect it's used to record what action players do most (like which blocks you build, which items you offten make in assembler, or if you are more flying around exploring, or building). although might be just to measure, how much players really play on planets, or if it was just "too loud" minority.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Carrion

Carrion Senior Engineer

im pretty sure what you have there is a virus that has just tucked itself into a folder. get better AV

10. mexmer

mexmer Senior Engineer

no really in current version it's linked into sandbox.game.dll

also it's present in DS binaries folder.

but like i said, i don't believe it's more than player action metrics. although some oficial statement will be welcome.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Pharap

Pharap Apprentice Engineer

To end the argument as to whether this is actually present or not, it is.
    It's right there in the source code:

https://github.com/KeenSoftwareHouse/SpaceEngineers/search?utf8=✓&q=infinario

They just don't always have it enabled for some reason.
    Next Q&A they have someone should ask them about it.

Personally I'm against analytics but I doubt I'd be able to change their minds and I'm not going to scrap spengies just because it uses analytics. If someone discovers a legit reason for distrusting Infinario then I'll create a spoof library to circumvent the Infinario requirement, lock away the original and use read-only flags to stop the spoof from being replaced during updates.

12. DizzyDave

DizzyDave Trainee Engineer

This is all very interesting, but where is the evidence that Keen is going to make ME pay to win?

13. zDeveloper10

zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

how do you win a sandbox?

though,they could make it nightmarish by locking off blocks to be paid extra despite still being in early developement.

14. DizzyDave

DizzyDave Trainee Engineer

yeah, but there is still zero evidence that they are going to do that. tracking ingame analytics is not that uncommon and does not imply anything other then Keen wanting to know how the game runs on a wide variety of rigs.

15. zDeveloper10

zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

now that you mention it, I should have read closer. it does indeed say it's intended for freemium games, but not that it provides freemium features per se.
    :)

16. wuubb

wuubb Apprentice Engineer

Do you know of a place where I could read-up on how to do this?

17. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

It could also be something they are using internally and for testing, that they disable for the release builds. But that's just a guess.

18. Wazbat

Wazbat Apprentice Engineer

I guess the software is designed for freemium games, but it can be used for any other type.

They've been looking for data analysts for a while. I guess they want to know how people are playing the game

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.