1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Server Latency Problems with GameLogic and IntegrityChangedMsg

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by Chuu, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Chuu

Chuu Trainee Engineer

Hey Engineers,

I've been running a server with a moderate amount of activity and i'm constantly battling the problem of latency and sim speed.

I've set build limits for certain blocks, enforced a world border and trimmed troublesome mods with extreme predjudice.

My problem lately is a wide range of ping fluctuation for my players. The ping spikes are irregular, and don't appear to be caused by the server itself. on the Extender "statistics" tab, i'm seeing a bottleneck at the Game Logic level.

The Network is fine, usually between 1-12ms, but the gamelogic is up around 150-250ms delay. Occasionally, this goes up to around 1500ms, and it appears client-side as vastly increased pings, usually 3-4000ms ping spikes for the players.

The messages that are being sent and received are usually pretty low levels, but the IntegrityChanged Msg is always the largest one, and I'm thinking it's the culprit. Usually it has several hundred messages, with around 10,000b.

Does anyone have any advice on how i can get that number down any? I assume integrity being changed means blocks are getting damaged somewhere, but several hundred a second seems like a large number, and if it's continually causing the gamelogic to back up, I need to figure out how to stop it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. joemorin73

joemorin73 Junior Engineer

IntegrityChangedMsg most often appears when someone is welding. If you're seeing a lot of those, someone might have a large welder running.

3. Chuu

Chuu Trainee Engineer

Initially I thought it was all welders also, but with only a few of us on the server after a restart, the game logic bottlenecks almost immediately up to around 120ms+ with hundreds of msg's queued. A week or so ago, we found one station that had been somehow converted to a ship and was slowly beating itself to death on an asteroid, but I haven't been able to find a way to easily determine if there's another ship out there that's causing the lag constantly.

On restarts, my server used to start with 60+ UPS, and now it restarts at 30.

4. joemorin73

joemorin73 Junior Engineer

What's your maintenance like? Do you remove old ships and/or roids?

5. Chuu

Chuu Trainee Engineer

I recently ran a manual clean of all ships of users inactive for over 15 days. I've been cleaning asteroids via SEMU every 3 days or so, but Tyrsis' streaming asteroid feature finally got fixed so it's eliminated the need for refreshing. I have a production disable script running every 6 hours, a scheduled server restart every 12, and a beacon clean every 24.

Block limits are also in place, I have max 4 refineries per grid, 2 assemblers, 2 arc furnace, 25 grinder/welders and 9 drills.

Scripts are disabled, as well as exploration mode, and i've reduced the spawn rates of cargo ships to once every 20-40 minutes.

I think possibly the biggest problem is the 0_0_0 file. I opened it up and it's over 1.6 million lines now. The server has been running for almost a month, and it's crumbling under the weight of 10-15 people a day.

6. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

I am getting this issue in a super small environment. 16 asteroid map barely anyone on it, happens when a particular ship is going in a particular direction till the server is restarted.

Gamelogic goes to 40ms, server updates drop to 20 per second instead of 60. Lag all around.

7. GeekWere

GeekWere Trainee Engineer

I'm not sure on the exact cause but I had to remove some random mods due to this on my home server. Definitely go through your list in SP and see if it breaks your PC's UPC/Serverupdate speed.

8. Das_Hag

Das_Hag Trainee Engineer

Been searching all around, im having the exact same problem it seems.

I start my server its 60 UPS but then after a few minutes it suddenly drops to 20 UPS and GameLogic: 40-44ms.

Sorry to revive an old thread but im hoping you may have found out what was causing this.

9. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

In that instance it was floating objects still being in an object that was being unloaded from the physics calculations, then reloaded constantly as it needed collision calculations or somesuch.

Purge floating objects.

10. Das_Hag

Das_Hag Trainee Engineer

Thanks for that, though i purge floating objects every couple of minutes its of no help, so im guessing its a different object type, which is quite a pain since planets have gravity any ship that is abandoned mid air now breaks up into smaller pieces and rolls around the surface.

11. GeekWere

GeekWere Trainee Engineer

I'm not hugely sure what mine was, but I ended up resetting those instances to no mods installed. I did re-add some but, gonna be more careful from now on. Some of this might be fixed since this was quite a few updates ago now.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.