1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Mod to make atmospheric thrusters LESS efficient

Discussion in 'Modding' started by beelzerob, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. beelzerob

beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

I want, nay, NEED a reason to make wheeled vehicles. "Because I can" just doesn't work for me, ok?

Right now, I'd be mad to make a roll prone, slow, near-sighted wheeled vehicle when a simple flying craft with 5 thrusters can fly forever on a partial battery charge.

Does anyone know a mod on the workshop that doubles power consumption for the stock atmospheric thrusters? Or is this something easy I can do? (I've done some script modding, but not blocks).

Thanks!

2. beelzerob

Looking at the modding tutorial, looks like it might be easy to do this myself. Looks like it's just 1 value in a file.

3. beelzerob

Success! Now those engines really use the juice. I had always been disappointed before when, upon landing the lander, I would shut off engines to save power...and there was no difference. Now there's a serious reason to land instead of hover, and to shut off engines after landing instead of just leaving them on the whole time. I like the idea that when I get into the cockpit, I have to turn systems on before flying away.

And NOW, there's a real reason to make a rover.

4. beelzerob

Here's the only question I have left...Because I'm modifying the default thrusters (and not creating new ones), so my changes are in the CubeBlocks.sbc file...Does that mean that after every space engineers update, I have to take their (presumably updated) CubeBlocks file, make my changes again, and update my mod? Or is there a way to describe my changes as just the differences with the default file, so it doesn't have to be updated every week?

5. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

I believe you only need to edit the particular blocks in your mods SBC file and remove the rest of the blocks that you are not changing out of your mods SBC file

6. beelzerob

That would be very handy. I'll try that tonight.

But that does raise another question...How do you mod OUT a block? I was considering removing small ship small reactors, but if removing it from my modded cubeblocks file just means the standard one still exists.... I'll have to check, maybe there is an "enable" field per block I can just set to false.

7. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

going off the top of my head so I may be wrong

I know this method will disable spawn ships you don't want, I think it should work for block definitions:
    Code:
    <definition Enabled="false">
    For spawn ship disabling its

Code:
    	<Ship Enabled="false">
    	  <Id>
    		<TypeId>RespawnShipDefinition</TypeId>
    		<SubtypeId>RespawnShip</SubtypeId>
    	  </Id>
    	  <DisplayName>DisplayName_RespawnShip_Yellow</DisplayName>
    	  <Icon>Textures\GUI\Icons\Fake.dds</Icon>
    	  <CooldownSeconds>120</CooldownSeconds>
    	  <Prefab>RespawnShip</Prefab>
    	</Ship>

8. beelzerob

I checked the CubeBlocks file for anything like that, and didn't see it. I'll try adding it to the definition and see if it affects anything.

edit: No dice (Loading error on script)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.