1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Atmospheric Drag

Discussion in 'Released and WIP Mods' started by Draygo, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=571920453
    Adds drag to ships as they fly through the atmosphere.

Based on total velocity, atmosphere density, and the total area of your ship that is facing the direction of travel to compute the drag per tick. Uses real world drag formula to calculate drag. Aerodynamic ships will have higher top speeds in atmosphere.

Configurable with the following command (not useable on servers)
    /drag-mult [#]
    /drag-save (saves configuration)
    /drag-load (manually loads config, does load automatically)

Reddit Thread:
    https://redd.it/3wgwgh

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

I put out an update that drastically increases the drag, it should now be noticeable at a speed cap of 104.4

• Like Like x 1
  3. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

All the likes and no replies!

:D

Oh I put up a major revision (code wise) mod will now calculate the exposed surface area of your ship and use that to calculate the drag during flight. This is way more accurate than the estimation I was using previously.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

I added in some chat commands so you can adjust the drag settings on the fly, 500 is realistic

• Like Like x 1
  5. balink

balink Trainee Engineer

How does you new Advanced Drag option work? I'm not really able to test my ships (5-10 fps on planets) until new parts come in, but I'm extremely curious.
    Does it actually create lift which can keep ships in the air, or does it simply destabilize it?

6. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

Depends how you make yer ship.

7. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

Long answer the mod calculates the surface area of your ship and uses that to calculate a 'center of lift' based on how much of that area is in front of or behind your center of mass. So it will have a reference where to apply forces. If you make your plane right your center of lift will be on or behind your center of mass affording you more control.

8. DragonShadow

DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

This mod is very helpful to those who use speed mods to break the limit. I "crashed" my survival ship into a planet and was able to slow my descent quite effectively (and intuitively) by turning the broad side of the ship into the angle of descent. I was even able to glide it for a very short time at the right speed. Where previously my speed of 500ish m/s in orbit would usually be about 800+ m/s on impact, this crash got down to about 180 m/s. Well done. :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.