1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

[1.118/Hotfix] Antennas not relaying rotation to remote controls

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Levitator, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Levitator

Levitator Apprentice Engineer

Our communication network looks like this:

Station -> Laser Antennas -> Station -> Radio Antennas -> Large Ship -> Radio Antennas -> Remote Control -> Large Ship

We launched the second large ship, and when the handoff occurred from the first radio antenna to the second one, rotational control abruptly disconnected from the second ship and could not be restored. Control bindings for rotation stopped working, although the terminal connection was still active. Thruster control still appeared to work. Strangely, the manual controls on the gyro still allowed turning. However, this would make it exceedingly difficult to mine remotely.

Levitator

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Levitator

This is still not fixed. I want to reiterate that all of my mod work hinges on this feature working correctly, as does my dedicated server, as well as all of the gameplay that I have thus far invested in it. I did go to the trouble of testing this in creative mode before I foolishly embarked in this enterprise, and I cannot, for the life of me, remember how I could have missed this problem. I don't know if it was introduced afterwards, or if I simply did not notice that gyros do not work after more than 1 network hop. Considering that station welders are a more fundamental feature and they have not worked correctly for about a thousand years, I can count on a fix for this issue to be forthcoming shortly after that, which is approximately never. I give up on this game. It is a waste of time.

Levitator

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Levitator

Furthermore, I want to point out that this exact feature is showcased in the background video that plays behind the main menu. It depicts a communication satellite flying above a rover exploring a planet. It turns out that this is a misrepresentation of the game's abilities not only because planets constantly swallow wheeled vehicles, but now, in addition, we see that the infrastructure to relay remote control is not even available. This serves to highlight once again, how Keen misrepresents and oversells their product while underdelivering. Furthermore, this cannot be dismissed as a consequence of transient circumstances. The problem is not the way that Keen is managing the project. I have arrived at the conclusion that Keen itself is the problem, and that they show themselves incapable of managing any software project effectively. This situation is not new. It is the continuation of Keen's inherent nature and character as a company.

Eurogamer

As an additional example, I will cite, once again Marek's planned backpedaling on source code release, which he crafted into the initial announcement so that he could complete his little publicity stunt while evading any obligation to follow through on it. And I will repeat; they have explicitly stated that it is too "costly" to accept code contributions from the public. If they have elected to reject bugfixes delivered to them for free on the basis of integration cost alone, then that, by itself reveals the reason that the game is riddled with bugs. It is not circumstance. It is due to Keens' policy to disregard bugs, and the game is an unusable mess not by happenstance, but as a result of Keen's deliberate and total disregard for quality control. They think that their customers are slobs and idiots and I am done here.

This is totally and consistently unacceptable.

Levitator

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Nesterus

Nesterus Trainee Engineer

cant mine remotely so I guess its time to pack it up and play some other game, oh well I mean the other things are fun and all but

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Levitator

This just happens to be the last straw for me. However, you can pick from any of these if you prefer:
    1. Grids that get deleted for no reason
    2. Planets that get deleted for no reason
    3. Connector attraction that explodes ships like fragmentation bombs and destroys bases
    4. Connectors that separate for no reason
    5. Landing gear that separates for no reason
    6. Pistons that separate for no reason
    7. Rotors that separate for no reason
    8. Planets that randomly eat ships, and especially wheeled vehicles rendering them useless
    9. Grids that eat resources such as ice and uranium for no reason
    10. A recurring battery regression that pops up every few releases
    11. Random mining crashes
    12. Random ship explosions while welding due to inherently flawed client-server "sync" code (I had to repair a ship three times in order to build another ship and I am still not done)
    13. The need to reconnect in order to spawn unsynced welds which were not replicated to the client (and which can explode your ship if you wander near them)
    14. Station welders which do not work at all and exacerbate the myriad other bugs which can destroy your ship by making it even more difficult to replace it
    15. Invisible phantom desynced ships which you cannot see, but which will instantly explode your ship if you should wander near them
    16. Invisible phantom voxels which you cannot mine, but block your movement and can probably destroy your ship

I am sure that I have forgotten some, as the number of bugs is innumerable to the point that you have to scroll back page upon page to find a bug report that you made a week ago in this forum. Here, these are just major bugs. The minor bugs could probably fill another page. The really telling thing about all of these problems is that somehow, they have the resources to render a perfect planetary sunset at thirty frames a second with high fidelity, but somehow they lack the resources to discern when two objects are near each other. Again, the difference is that one of these things shows up in marketing material, but the other is only experienced by people who have already turned over their money. If you define a scam as the acceptance of money in exchange for the misrepresentation of a product, then this fits that description. Not only once, but as I have already outlined, it fits a recurring pattern resulting from deliberate policy. But you're right. Maybe it's actually just a matter of alien astronaut theory.

Levitator

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Levitator

At this juncture, I want to clarify one more thing. In criticizing "Keen" previously, I have been deliberately ambiguous as to who personally deserved responsibility for the development fiascos which I have observed because I did not know to whom they were personally attributable. Obviously, ultimate responsibility belongs to the person at the top, but the question remains as to whether they are making an honest mistake of delegation, or whether they are the ones who are making wrong decisions directly. At this stage, I have finally chanced to read the entirety of Marek's blog entry announcing the release of "full source code access", which is when I discovered this disclaimer at the bottom:

What this means is that he planned from the beginning to revoke source access from the moment that he announced it, which is precisely what he immediately did. This means that source access was a publicity stunt from its inception, intended not to boost the value of the product, but only to create publicity and boost its sales. This is perfectly consistent with the current state of the game: it is superficially (visually) impressive but useless in practice. This is identical to Eurogamer's appraisal of Keen's previous product, Minerwars "Miner Wars 2081 was one of the first games to be greenlit on Steam, and it's easy to see why; it was selling everything that space sim fans were looking for. But every single one of those sales pitches has fallen short, and what we're left with is something that only resembles its initial promise in passing." From here, it is not difficult to draw the conclusion that Keen follows a sustained pattern of posturing and product mischaracterization which is traceable directly to the policies and behavior exhibited by its chief officer, Marek Rosa. I feel sorry for his employees and it is my genuine hope that they will have better luck in the future.

Levitator

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Levitator

Since I am naming names, I thought that I should also call out Keen Developer Jan Nekvapil, who approached me for help regarding a security hole and then began ignoring me as soon as he had what he needed from me. I did not receive so much as a "thank you", and it is not that I am so needy as to insist on praise, it is just that if you ask someone for help but you do not need it anymore, it is a customary common courtesy to acknowledge the other person so that they know to stop wasting their time on you. It is one thing to be a party to someone else's incompetence, and something else to be rude on top of that.

Levitator

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

Wow embed a rant in the middle of a bug report thread.

Good job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pathogen69

pathogen69 Trainee Engineer

Since 1.118, I'm experiencing number 1 now. I keep trying to build remote ore detectors but they keep disappearing when I make supply runs. The game is unplayable when things you build disappear for no reason, just like it was unplayable in survival mode when just trying to mine was crashing the game. I've also given up on wheeled vehicles because they are so incredibly unstable to drive.

I have to agree with you. If they are charging for the game, it should at least be playable. The game has been early access since 2013 and it's still this bad with bugs and instability? Come on. Every update brings new bugs, often even bringing back bugs that were "fixed" before.

I only started playing in between 1.115 and 1.116, but every update has brought game breaking bugs for me.

They should not be charging money for this game.
    Stop trying to work on new "features" (which will just be broken anyway) and bug fix! FFS, it's been over 2 years since the game went early access and it's still got such basic bugs like mining crashing the game, ice disappearing, stuff that is basic to the gameplay, and lacks such basic things as custom keybindings!

10. JTConsortium

JTConsortium Apprentice Engineer

I've only experienced #3 and #16

And #3 is an easy workaround: Leave the mobile (or currently controllable) connector powered off until the "docking" is made, then power it on (I always have a connector on/off key on my hotbar).

It'll immediately connect without the wham bam, thank you ma'am.

I've been doing it that way more or less as a part of my "standard docking/undocking procedure" since this aggressive behavior manifested.

11. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

people shouldn't censor and attack a legit complains. I saw some of this issues from a long time, and they are not getting fixed yet. Like rotors separating, connectors, landing gears, pistons. yes, we all know they exist, from a long long looooooong long long time. Also I heard about remote control problems, and we all know the wheels + planets...
    That is why I dont play Survival that often, I mean, if I play, I will not build some complicated digger using mechanical parts. Even simple piston elevators have been explode/disappeared and destroyed all my base of hours of survival. yea yea, alpha, blah blah, it has been 2 years already...

Edit: danm! just in case, Im not calling them liars or anything, but this bugs are there. I remember waiting for the annoying backwards text bug in pistons, anyone remember that? it took like 7-8 months to get fixed :eek:ops:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Levitator

Keen appears to be objecting to my discussion of their policies, so in keeping with their wishes, I have moved the discussion to my blog. Please address any related responses there.

Levitator

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.