1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Every reason that I am quitting Space Engineers modding and gameplay in one thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Levitator, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Levitator

Levitator Apprentice Engineer

For the third time, their marketing material claims that their game works. You don't get to make all of the false statements you want and then receive a free pass by then disclaiming them all in fine print.

Levitator

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  2. tankmayvin

tankmayvin Senior Engineer

I was using perfectly in the second sense:

"used for emphasis, especially in order to assert something that has been challenged or doubted."

Not in the sense that the game has been perfected and cannot be improved in any way.

3. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin

Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Levitator

Says the dismembered cyborg girl.

Levitator

5. Levitator

I already enumerated in detail everything that does not work as well as the rationale for the expectation that it ought to.

Levitator

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. BlackUmbrellas

BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Not a false claim. Get over yourself, move on. In other words, go away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

I just think its an odd time to go into a rant, Keen is focusing on performance and bugfixing right now.

Its also still alpha, where technically you add new features with reckless abandon. But as its a early access game keen at least tries to keep it in a playable state.

And it is mostly playable, and yes there are a lot of bugs.

You also complained that they might remove or obfuscate the source code, but left out the reasons that they might do it. That line of text was after a list of cons, removing source code access can be seen as a solution to them. Keen above all else needs to protect its product and as long as we don't abuse the access were given they wont take it away.

So far it has been a great relationship, yes the source code is out of date right now but that's primarily because keen doesn't have the bandwidth to keep it up to date.

With that said as a modder we have more than enough access right now and we can fill in the blanks without too much effort.

And yes I vent a little over some design choices that cause me extra grief, we all do. But its in development.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Levitator

If you are satisfied with the game, then why are you reading a thread about dissatisfaction with the game?

Levitator

9. Commander Rotal

Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Damage control? Potential offering of help? Contemplating a different oppinion? A good laugh? Why WOULDN'T you read a potentially interesting thread on a forum?

Commander Rotal

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 5
  10. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin

Presumably the same reason you're posting in the forums for a game you ostensibly left.

Also, were you referring to this list?

Some of which I've never encountered, none of which are constant, and none of which render it "unplayable." Frustrating to play, absolutely; but then again it was frustrating to spend part of a winter in a house with a giant hole in the side covered by a plastic sheet, but my parents elected to do so anyway. I don't recall them complaining about doing so to the builders, though.

11. Ed Frost

Ed Frost Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Commander Rotal

Hi Ed. How's Not-Bob doing?

Commander Rotal

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  13. BlackUmbrellas

Mostly to point and laugh, tbh.

14. Levitator

My complaint about the code is not that the source code is unavailable. The source code is unavailable for most commercial games. My issue is with the motivation and pretense with which the announcement was made. It's not as if something changed dynamically that would cause Marek to reverse his decision in a matter of weeks. The cost of source publication does not suddenly jump for some unforeseen cause, like the price of oil. It was a publicity stunt, and the retraction was built into the original announcement so that he could disclaim responsibility later. Exactly like this nonsense about the contradiction between "working" and "non-working" disclaimers. It was a token action for show, just like Minerwars, and just like Space Engineers.

Levitator

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Levitator

Then if I am entertaining you, don't tell me to go away.

Levitator

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. frannic

frannic Apprentice Engineer

I am wondering what it is exactly, you are trying to accomplish here?
    The people that come to the forums are people that are involved with se.
    They mostly like the game and want all the best for it, otherwise they wouldn't have been here on the forums in the first place.
    Sometimes it is difficult not to get pulled to the dark side and complain and wine about things but hey, we are all human.
    But this kind of posts on the forums just are begging to get negative responses from the people that come here because in the end they love this game.

So again what is the purpose of this post?
    What is it you need help with or want to discuss?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ed Frost

Ed Frost Senior Engineer

hes getting smarter and better every day.... If you wish i could send you a copy so you can test him and suggest features

18. BlackUmbrellas

No, I'm fairly certain I want you to keep good on your word, give up on the game, and go away for good if you're going to have the Jovian balls required to call out Keen as liars and con-men. You're behaviour is disgusting, tbh, and while I enjoy watching you make a fool of yourself I'm also deeply hoping nobody here will have to put up with you any longer if this is what you're going to do.

19. Commander Rotal

Ah, sure, i might take the time one of these days.

20. Levitator

This is a reasonable question raised by someone else here as well. I am attempting to raise industry standards by expressing my dissatisfaction.

Levitator

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

Please stop signing your posts in your post, use the signature feature of the forum, its what its for.

No the modivation and pretense was a good one, at the time you had some mod makers like myself struggling with the obfuscated code, having the code unobfusicated and release was a huge boon to us and it continues to be so today. It wasn't a publicity stunt, a lot of good happened because of it. He put the disclaimer in because he was worried about hackers ruining the game rapidly, which didn't occur.

The game works right now, by no means perfect, and criticism of its flaws is warranted, but it does work, you can start it load a world and play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Ed Frost

Ed Frost Senior Engineer

send you the link

23. Levitator

Make sure to tell Eurogamer and Wikipedia that they are disgusting as well, since they share my opinion about Keen's lack of commitment to their stated promises.

Levitator

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Thedevistator

Thedevistator Senior Engineer

One opinion does not raise standards and you know it. All what you're doing is venting your anger at others. If you want to raise your own standards be my guest, but don't tell others how there expectations should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. BlackUmbrellas

They're not coming to Keen's forums to call them liars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Commander Rotal

Yet!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  27. Einharjar

Einharjar Junior Engineer

You're referencing the term playable and yet not even defining that term yourself. The game is, be definition, playable. I can even play and i have a 6 year old system with only 6 gigs or RAM. That's the nature of playing on PCs. It's extremely difficult to make a single application work for everyone's configuration and 9 times out've 10, it's not even the application, it's the user that's causing the failures. Now I'm not saying that the game's play-ability in your experience is only your fault, but it doesn't excuse the contract you agreed to when you make the purchase.

ALL TRANSACTIONS ARE RISKS.

READ that again please, aloud for the entire class to hear. ALL transactions, no matter how assured, are all risks.
    The risks for this particular purchase was spelled out clearly. The game is playable but it clearly unfinished. It's even implied that it may never be finished. It's not like buying a car here where you can pay for warranty. There was no such guarantee from Keen that the game would play absolutely smoothly, with no bugs and run on every system or else your money back plus a massive recall.
    Even when purchasing a new car, EVEN WITH said warranty options installed, it's still a risk. Perhaps it turns out my car is a lemon and while it's covered - it may be months or nearly a year before an exact package is replicated or replaced with my chosen paint job and trim.

So, read it out loud again, EVERY TRANSACTION IS A RISK. If not, we'd never have Entrepreneurs. This is why you need to think before you spend. Impulse buying not only gets you in debt, it gets you products that don't make you happy. Do your research prior to purchasing what you want and spend your funds wisely. I'll leave our conversation at that.

BTW, I'm still waiting for that Hurt Feelings report - I need complete an RCCA before 16:00 EST.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin

So, when that changes to say something negative, we'll know who to thank. Got it!

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

Marek actually want's to share the code.

The source is no longer updated and all traces of planets removed from it for reasons relating to theft, there are a few people within Keen that do not want their work stolen from competing game developers in the same genre as SE.... and lets face it, quite a few competing games have appeared recently.

That is the reason.

30. Levitator

Since I paid money for their product, I'm not exactly trespassing here.

Levitator

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.