1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

I just saw a limited edition box for SE. With bad info.

Discussion in 'General' started by a hired gun, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. a hired gun

a hired gun Trainee Engineer

At my local Wal-Mart I saw a limited edition box for Space Engineers. Interested I looked at the minimum requirements on the back. I was surprised , System Requirements: Supported OS: [Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP] Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 2.0 GHz (or AMD equivalent) RAM: 2 GB RAM Hard Disk: 2 GB free HDD space Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT / ATI Radeon HD 3870 / Intel HD Graphics 4000 - (minimum of 512 MB video memory) . Now according to this I can play it on even a potato computer. Knowing info I know the new requirements (ALOT and it needs a mid high end gaming pc to even play) so if this info is so incorrect why is it still on the shelves?

2. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

minimum requirements means it can run on that machine just barely at minimum settings.

you should look for the recommended requirements.

I have a desktop at home which is almost exactly that spec. I should try it.

3. LFCavalcanti

LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

I think the problem is actually selling retail boxes for a game in Early Access, the game isn't finished, subjected to change, I just think is not a consumer friendly idea.

I would buy a "collectors" edition with a 3d model of ships, the "suit" etc, when the game is out of EA.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. Nacon

Nacon Junior Engineer

It's old. Ignore it, they're still developing the game and PC specs are subjected to change over time.

5. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Selling a box edition for a game that's still in the broken phase. Derp.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Master Engineer

Like most pointed out already, that information is pretty old.

These specs have been released when SE was mostly about space with a few asteroids in it. Such worlds back then could easily load even on a weak PC. Performance still was poor but it loaded.

However the current specs and actual requirements got pushed up with the release of planets. They are a huge memory hog and you will have a tough time with low specs. Even the empty worlds seem to load planet assets now which is noticeable by the increased load times.

7. entspeak

entspeak Senior Engineer

Yeah, you could probably turn off automatic updates, load that on a lower end computer and have it play fine. I think what's on that disc is likely even pre-DX11, IIRC.

8. jonnytaco

jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

"But we told you not to buy it!"

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Master Engineer

That afaik doesnt work. As SE is a steam game, it requires steam to be played. Registering the game on a steam account of course requires an internet connection.

Also from what i read online, steam can be very annoying and often refuse to install games in offline mode. Thus you probably have to be online again to actually install the game. Though as soon as you install the game online, it will flag the games content to be obsolete and force-schedule an update. If a game is scheduled for an update, it is very likely to not be able to run it anymore, even in offline mode.

So chances are pretty slim that it would work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. REDSHEILD

REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

IIRC, the box edition was originally released for the benefit of people who wanted to buy the game without having the ability to get steam cards and didn't want to use a credit/debit card with steam.

11. fourthquantum

fourthquantum Senior Engineer

Whoever buys it and the game doesn't work or the game breaks their computer (because it doesn't meet the new minimum requirements) would be fully entitled to a refund and compensation to have their computer fixed.

12. RayvenQ

RayvenQ Moderator

The likelyhood of it not running if you're under spec, very high, the likelyhood of it actually damaging your computer because you're underspec is extremely low, almost nil realy.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. a hired gun

a hired gun Trainee Engineer

The weird part is this limited edition box actually has a disk in it. I was under the impression it was just a nice box with some steam keys in it. It actually has a download disk.
    I can see this having a negative effect on this game. (It already started on Amazon where people are complaining that the product did not work on thare computer even though they were slightly above min requirements. )
    Although it would be nice if the optimizations will bring the min requirements down to this. (Impossible but would solve everything)

14. Devon_v

Devon_v Senior Engineer

DX9, 10KM box, no planets, it will run on old systems. It just won't be much fun.

15. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Master Engineer

fify

I also dont see how you need planets at all to have fun in SE.
    I had the most fun playing space stuff and planets themself offer quite little.

The best features for me clearly are rotors, pistons and programmable blocks. The later may be what is missing from the boxed version but thats it. It still has great potential for anyones expression of creativity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

Starting out on a planet and then working towards getting to space is quite the fun challenge itself...

I kind of wish I had a copy of the retail box.....

17. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Not so much... really... I built a hydrogen powered small ship rocket with a hydrogen powered miner and enough supplies on board for the basics. That didn't require much in terms of resources. As soon as I hit some platinum, I set up camp and started mining away. That can be done in just a few hours of game play. So not much of a challenge really. If you're trying to take everything you own into space... well... that might be challenging.

18. zDeveloper10

zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

I didn't know they even sold a box. that said,they probably should stop because if they make a major change, the information may be considered misleading, and players will end up buying the game and then finding out that it doesn't work for them anymore-which could tarnish an otherwise good game's reputation and retention. in fact, Early Access IMO is not the time to be providing physical packages for retail stores

19. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

The box came out a little over a year ago so I'm pretty sure there have been a few major changes in that time.

I understand their want to reach out to a few more people but I do agree that it probably wasn't the best idea to launch a ea game as a box (and it does state early access on the box). When you make enough changes to require a new set of requirements, that should require new information. You see this with food product all the time saying things like now with more sugar or whatever.
    So I guess the question here would be, are there new boxes with updated info and this box just happens to be a relic? Or is there still so much surplus out there that keen hasn't bothered to payout for a new box yet? Or is it that they just don't care about the box information at this point.

Personally I still think part of this falls on the customer as well. I mean if you are trying to buy games that you just barely meet the min specs on, you outta just assume that you may still have issues.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.