1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

[1.120] Abnormal GPU Usage

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by w4stedspace, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kurazarrh

Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

Okay, so I've come back with some more measurements. First, I played single-player to get my CPU involved in making some heat. Did that both in space and on planets. Then I realized my CPU was pegged at 100% (old i5 2500K which I still haven't overclocked... just ordered the heat sink I'll need for that), and it was bottlenecking my graphics card because the GPU Core Load was hovering around 80% again. To get around this issue and alleviate strain on my CPU, I logged onto our server. CPU usage dropped to 40%, and with the CPU free to hand frames to the GPU, I was able to get my graphics card to hit 100% usage the whole time.

You'll notice I don't have any screenshots. I was an idiot last night because I was up late and groggy. Ended up closing GPUTemp before getting a shot.

Regardless, my results are as follows:
    Single-Player Space: CPU 100%, GPU Core Load 80%, 40-50 fps, Temperature: 58-65C (oscillated about every 30 seconds)
    Single-Player Planet: CPU 100%, GPU Core Load 80%, 20-35 fps, Temperature: 58-65C (same oscillation)
    DS Space: CPU 40%, GPU Core Load 99%, 50-60 fps, Temperature: 58-65C (same oscillation)
    DS Planet: CPU 40%, GPU Core Load 99%, 25-45 fps, Temperature: 58-65C (same oscillation)

Graphics settings:
    All at max except:
    Voxel Detail: Medium
    Foliage Detail: Medium
    FXAA On
    Shadows: Low
    Vsync On
    Fullscreen

PC Specifications:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3
    Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K (stock speed, 3.7Ghz turbo, stock cooler)
    RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600, CL11
    GPU: ASUS Strix Nvidia GTX 970
    SSD: 256GB Crucial M100
    Case: Antec Eleven Hundred (stock fan setup with 3 exhaust 120mm fans: 1 rear, 2 top)

Ambient temperature: 67F, or 19.4C. It's cold it my house, but electric heat is expensive. =/

I was a little surprised that the GPU temps stayed the same when the load jumped from 80 to 99%. I had expected at least a couple degrees increase, but the temp chart kept up the same pattern the whole time. I also had RealTemp up to watch the sensors on my CPU, which were all across the board, ranging from 56C to 72C, and some cores reliably hotter than the others.

Anyway, W4sted, sorry I couldn't replicate and confirm your heat issue, but maybe the info and specs I've provided might shed light on any differences in our setups that could be causing your heat problems. Let me know if there are any other metrics you'd like me to provide, or any new testing conditions. When my new heatsink comes in, I should be able to crank my CPU up to the 4.2-4.5Ghz range, which ought to raise my case temps enough to see some kind of difference, but I doubt it'll cause temps to soar into the 80s.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. StrikerBAY

StrikerBAY Trainee Engineer

Yes, the GPU usage is to match (I'm really happy that I have a water cooling system :D)

But, I play not more than 30 minutes, than I leave the game to cool down my whole system.

3. w4stedspace

w4stedspace Trainee Engineer

Nice info. The point with the heat issue is that that were the results on systems running default fan profiles, something that people less clued up with tech than we are will likely doing, with also some extra fun of bad cooling setups and dust etc etc.. Am pretty sure if I go back to stock fan setups I can see those temps again and it worries me that SE is doing this to cards atm, it really shouldn't be. Another question is, this appears to be purely an NVidia thing, the AMD users I've spoken to don't see anything like the core load. I wonder why that is tbh

4. w4stedspace

Just following up...

Still seeing this behaviour, but I guess the important part is that only my main machine is still capable of running SE smoothly and now struggles to use Shadowplay at the same time. It used to barely touch the card (30% gpu load), while running shadowplay fine and still get 90 fps if I wanted.. now I can barely break 30 with the above running.. I mean, 2 weeks ago I was recording 4k footage at 90fps on this machine. Now it struggles with just running 1080 smoothly.

The second machine, with the 770, can't even run the game properly even when not recording (30fps or below) and has become totally useless if you try using Shadowplay.

The only part above I haven't mentioned is I'm running Win 7 on both machines.

Would include a pastebin but there's so much spam of 2016-02-14 17:37:41.113 - Thread: 1 -> No physical item for hand item 'MyObjectBuilder_SmallGatlingGun/(null)' in the logs that even a 2min game exceeds the upload limit for non-pro users.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tyriael_soban

tyriael_soban Apprentice Engineer

I'm running 10 on this laptop and still seeing this pegged 100% gpu core load, i'll usually hold 40 fps with most of it set to medium (i always turn foliage off because it causes huge fps drops for me), I have to admit that i have not even touched shadowplay, but i wonder if this is a driver specific issue, or perhaps the way SE interacts with the drivers has changed?
    Edit; i just slapped v-sync on it, i didn't realize it had been disabled but the core usage dropped to 83%, it has resulted in a temp drop to a less toasty 73C

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. w4stedspace

Indeed, with a powerful enough GPU (e.g. one that can handle 60fps stable at ur chosen settings without hitting 100% load with this current wierdness) then ur ok, but I'm finding it doesn't take much where planets is involved to get beyond that even on pretty strong cards. What are you using card wise out of interest?

7. Kurazarrh

I'm running with default cooling profiles, but my case has a TON of airflow. I haven't tried using Shadowplay for a couple versions. I'll give that a whirl hopefully tonight.

Here's an odd thought: I'm assuming you aren't using the stock cooler that may or may not come with your CPU, right? This might sound crazy, but I've seen setups using vertical coolers with sideways airflow (such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 series) where people have aimed the exhaust side of the CPU cooler down at the graphics card. It might not be a huge difference, but if changing that can net you a few FPS for your AWESOME MP survival series, then maybe it's worth it. ;)

<derail> But seriously, though, kudos on your YT series with Morph and Shack. The latest couple episodes have been positively epic. </derail>

8. tyriael_soban

tyriael_soban Apprentice Engineer

GeForce GTX870M, Subvendor: Asus.

9. w4stedspace

lol, cheers dude :) Half the reason I'm getting wound up about SE performance tbh, the 2nd machine I use for spectator recording (the 770 equipped 2600k) can't handle it any more, which is pretty ridiculous!

The 5820k I'm using didn't even come with a stock cooler, Intel getting cheap.. although I'd never use the hunk of junk so maybe it's just smart! Either way, using a custom EK water loop atm, shouldn't be any issues with heat from other components fouling the GFX.

I've noticed that the core load is no longer pegged at 100%, however the price paid for this is the game running like junk, especially when moving quickly. Pretty normal atm for me to get 30-45fps on this machine.. the 2nd machine, sub 30 permanently. Both these machines were capable of 90fps + the week before I started this thread.

Just did a random test, with all settings on lowest, everything turned off it's possible to turn off, and a fresh world created with foliage disabled.. can't maintain 60fps, still get stuttering

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  10. Trenten Degreth

Trenten Degreth Trainee Engineer

yea I've had to back off of SE completely because of this. and i went budget Radeon R9, with a amd 6100 cpu... bouth are running stock cooling. its not a high end machine by any means but it was running fine until this issue. i have no choice but to wait it out.
    wish i knew what was doing it.

11. Bibber

Bibber Trainee Engineer

12. shmafoozius

shmafoozius Trainee Engineer

Hi there,

just want to vent for a bit as well. My computer is usually pretty silent. Not even when playing Fallout 4 on ultra settings on 1440p I'm hearing anything from it. But with space engineers, I often get a 99% GPU utilization on planets. The workload is getting so huge that the FPS drops to 14 and sometimes even lower and the fans of the card are running at full speeds to be able to cool the card. With SE, it's the first time I even hear the fans.

Btw, this happens mostly if planetary terrain is in plain view. If I look up into the skye, the utilization instantly drops to around 50%. Same when looking down to the surface from "orbit".

System specs:
    nVidia GTX980
    Intel i7 5930K
    16GB RAM
    Win 10

Kind of sad that even a GTX980 isn't enough for this.

13. Kurazarrh

Understandable that you're going to want/need smooth performance for recording. I haven't been in the game as much these past couple weeks due to real life rearing its ugly head. I did manage to get my 2500K overclocked to 4.5Ghz with the new heat sink and watched performance drastically increase... and temperatures decreased. I'm assuming you were way ahead of me on overclocking that 2600K. On days when I have been online, I've been busy standing the server back up every time it crashes, which seems to be happening every time someone else queues up assembler jobs or when any of us undocks ships or gets out of a cockpit. =/

One thing I have noticed, and this is from before you even started this thread--there are certain locations which, if I look at them, my framerate drops like a rock. I can be running at 60+ fps. I turn toward a certain asteroid or planetary feature, and BAM, framerate hits 25. It took me a while to realize that it's happening when I look in directions where I have dug tunnels or where there are otherwise a lot of rendered-but-not-displayed voxel triangles, but as I understand, SE hasn't implemented any form of occlusion culling; please correct me if I'm wrong!

Out of curiosity, when you're recording episodes for the survival series, are you running the game from a dedicated server, or are you using the regular multiplayer option? Also, if you're using a DS, is one of you hosting it on a local box, or do you rent a server? I don't want to cry, "Alpha," but that might just be the situation. They're making so many changes to the game and engine that stable performance isn't something we can rely on. :(

14. Neotician

Neotician Apprentice Engineer

From some of the previous posts, i'm thinking that this is an Nvidia issue?

I'm running at 61-95 FPS at medium graphics, on Earth while recording at 1080p, my R9 390 isn't going above 65 degrees C.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.