1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

[released] AdvancedFlyModule, Block with maneuver support

Discussion in 'Released and WIP Mods' started by Takeshi, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Takeshi

Takeshi Apprentice Engineer

Hi at all,

First this was a request for a mod, bacause i thought i cant realize it by my self.

Now i have created the mod for my self. Core behavior is working. Upload is coming soon ;-)

Goal:
    make flying a ship different to the flying today, maybe it makes flying also easier or gives them a nice dynamic
    make sideway thrusters obsolete
    works with and without natural gravity
    [special in natural gravity: the new behavior aligned the ship tho the gravity automaticly (if its work)]
    its possible to change the power (like at gyroscope)
    only by using a block on a grid (ship)​

Behavior:
    current: i am flying arround by using my mouse. If i turn to right (without rolling) my left thruster starts dampening
    new: i am flying arround by using my mouse. If i turn to right my new Block registrade that i am moving sideways and starts rooling my ship (turn right -> move to left -> roll to right, turn left -> move to right -> roll to left)​

Block:
    nothing special, for me is a copy from the gyroscope good enough
    Maybe it needs more computers to build ;-)
    Name: AdvancedFlyModule (first idea)​

Now online:
    AdvancedFlyModule

And, yes i know i can roll a ship by my self, but its not easy for all of us and i am looking for something new.

Thanks and regards,
    Takeshi

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  2. Shabazza

Shabazza Junior Engineer

I really can't imagine how this should work.
    You want the ship to roll automaticly when you issue a "yaw" command with your mouse, or what?

3. Takeshi

Yes and No,
    imagine a ship has no sideways thrusters, only up/down/forward/backward. It can move free to left or right. If it moves sideways, the system should roll them so the upside thrusters start stopping the move.
    The trigger for roll is the move to left/right.
    Regards.

4. Tristavius

Tristavius Senior Engineer

Never looked at the keybindings before, but might it be possible just to switch the mouse from Pitch/Yaw to Pitch/Roll? If not, making a suggestion to do so may be a good idea, I can see some people preferring 'aircraft style' controls if they've come from certain space sims (or flight sims).

Anyway, don't think the request is possible from a modding point of view anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Takeshi

:)
    i got it to work, just the main function but its great to fly thrue the canions like Cpt. Steven Hiller ;-)

I used this mod and changed behavior: Aerodynamics - Wing blocks for planet atmosphere
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=473571246
    Thanks to Digi for sharing this mod.

I hope i can finish the whole thing, use own models and remove unneded things from script.
    Regards,
    Takeshi

6. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Apprentice Engineer

a thread of germans that write in english :D
    Ein thread voller deutscher die englisch schreiben :woot:

i dont like your described behavior - though its more realistic, but its a game! - i want my ship to turn left/right when my mouse move into that direction!
    but i agree that a legacy option for people who want a more realistic behavior should be added! :)

7. Aracus

Aracus Senior Engineer

So you want war thunder arcade mode mouse behavior?

8. Takeshi

(made changes to the first thread, request to move the thread to Released/WIP Mods)

@BlackRedDead: "a thread of germans that write in english": wie hab ich mich verraten?

@Aracus : So you want war thunder arcade mode mouse behavior?
    I checked youtube for war thunder, i think: yes, i think i can call it arcade mode

I am not in search for more realistic fly behavior, if it does, its ok for me. My intension is, to have a better feeling while flying.
    At the current state of my mod, flying is more funny than before (in gravity). Today i will check a fly in space.
    Regards

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  9. BlackRedDead

Durch ein gewisses schwarz-rot-goldenes Zeichen ;-)

10. Takeshi

The MOD is now available on Steam workshop, see first post. Please give feedback and maybe advice for improvement.

11. BlackRedDead

du kannst links auch benennen ;-)
    Code:
    [url=https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631769080]AdvancedFlyModule[/url]
    result:
    AdvancedFlyModule

btw.
    auch die Steamcommunity unterstützt einige BB-Codes - diese findest du nach dem "Formatting help / Formatierungshife" Button/Knopf, der sich neben den meisten "post / senden" Knöpfen finden lässt! ;-)
    (Weitere Informationen über BB-Code bei Wikipedia)

12. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

13. Takeshi

@BlackRedDead, Thx. Is changed.

@Draygo, maybe there is a problem. But please check it out and give feedback.
    in my tests: using Up thrusters to prevent crash or just to increase the high leads to a problem. In case you use full UpThrusters, you move Up, if you start to roll to one side in this situation, the Up Move changed to a side move and the AFM starts with rolling. So i think, a mod how creates a Up Force (Aerodynamics) can make Problems. Please check it with this in mind.​

So many Subscribers, looks good ;-)

To the issues:
    - any idea for the problem with the blockdirection? In Tests the direction moved with the blockdirection. But on other ships the behavier is different

14. BlackRedDead

Edit:
    but the link in your workshop description is still broken! :D

yep - maybe its because of the x/y/z axis of the grid (just my first idea when you have such strange behavior - but normaly the control directions are set by the cockpit!)

15. Takeshi

at the moment i cant login to the workshop, will fix it later.

To the direction, for me chockpit is also front, but not at every ship. Needs more investigation.

16. Takeshi

I have removed the [WIP]. My solution for the rotationproblem of the block was to switch to the grid rotation. This was easier. Its no longer important where and in wich direction the block is placed, i think this make it easy to use the MOD.
    Regards, Takeshi

• Like Like x 1
  17. Takeshi

Hi, i need help.
    After keen announced changes to the ModAPI, i have changed some things to prevent from problems.

But now i have a special use and i cant find something to get the subtypeID from a Gyro Block.

At the Moment this works:
    Code:
    private IMyGyro block;
    block = Entity as IMyGyro; 
    block.BlockDefinition.SubtypeId

but if i switch to this:
    Code:
    private MyGyro block;
    block = Entity as MyGyro; 
    block.BlockDefinition.SubtypeId

then Sandbox.ModAPI is unused but SubtypeId is not available.

Maybe i understand something wrong. If you can, please help.
    Regards, Takeshi

18. Takeshi

i need help, again.
    I will improve the MOD.
    At the moment the reaction is based on the sidemovement of the ship. Because that there is a short lag of reaction if you turn the ship. The idea is to use the mouse input for a fast reaction by using GetMouseXForGamePlay(). After that fast reaction the "old" behavior should override the mouseinput. With a first test i got the sidemovement of my mouse, but i got them also if i am not in the ship. I can check if the ship is controlled. But how can i select wich mouse is moving?
    Or gives "GetMouseXForGamePlay()" only from client and the script is running on the client, so i have only to prove if someone controlling the ship?
    Thanks, Takeshi

Edit:
    i am not able the check if the grid is controlled. I am not good enough to use the force of the internet and i cant find this.
    I have my moded block an the grid, but i cant find "iscontrolled" in that context.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  19. SpecFrigateBLK3

SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

Could you add a setting to autohover the ship in gravity? Damp both side to side and forward/backward velocity?

20. Phoera

Phoera Senior Engineer

1)you don't need to change something there.
    2)you even not allowed to use MyGyro class(even if it whitelisted, better use only interfaces)

21. Takeshi

Dont touch a running system ;-)
    Please use a rotor. Left/right is defined by the red mirror (in build). Set a rotor with head (activate red mirror on head), rotate the head until left/right is forward/backward. Safety Lock on and place an AFM on the rotor. This works.

Last post is from May, since there i dont touched it and it works fine. However thanks for reply.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.