1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Parachutes, Cables & Sensor Enhancements: We Need Them

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Geland, Mar 3, 2016.

?

Do you want to see these items in-game?

1. yes

80.6%
  2. No

3.2%
  3. Maybe

16.1%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

Recently I've noticed the growing need for power-lines, steel cables with winches and parachutes. I'd like to share my ideas and applications for these ideas.

1.) If you're building something in a difficult place, like a satellite, up-link, antenna tower on top of a dangerous mountain then it's hard to get power to that tower unless you build a battery and solar panel onto the tower. The upside to this is that you don't have to waste steel plates building a long line of blocks leading up to your tower in order to power it. The down side is that you cannot automate battery recharge and discharge based on the time of day.
    I've tried using timer blocks and sensors to detect or predict the time of day so that my batteries will charge during the day and discharge during the night but sensors do not have the option to aid in this and timer blocks are really cumbersome to do this with as you need MANY of them. (I have 8 hour day cycles in survival).

2.) Using power-lines also eliminates waste because of batteries being used on lower priority projects that might get taken apart later. I personally think battery cells turning into scrap after being taken apart is a HUGE waste and I grumble every time I have to use a battery. I'd rather not have to or, use an alternative that isn't uranium or, change this back to battery cells not turning into scrap in the first place. The latter is preferable.

3.) Power-lines, in Space Engineers, could be like the ropes in Medieval Engineers. The ropes in ME are malleable and can be stretched and pulled in any direction. If you're building a power system leading up a steep mountain you can hook up multiple power-lines from tower to tower with no worry of terrain or constraining yourself to a restrictive grid system that only allows vertical or horizontal block placing. This would allow for long angles to be used more effectively.
    Steel cables are not so dissimilar. While steel cables used for moving cargo, grappling hooks, towing vehicles and other things can not power buildings they are one of the fundamental things that we as humans use and need when we create major mining industries. There are many other examples but for the sake of being concise I'll stop here.

4.) Finally, Parachutes are used extensively by aerospace corporations when it comes to recovering space-flight vehicles after they've re-entered our atmosphere. I would greatly appreciate it if we could use re-usable parachutes when it comes to landing our hydrogen based space vehicles because they use up a LOT of water and it's much more convenient to simply have them ride those parachutes to the ground, to a soft landing. This would be a huge boon.
    this also applies to our space engineers. Imagine if they had run out of fuel for their rocket-pack and then they were falling toward the ground. Wouldn't it be a great thing if they could just deploy a safety chute and make it safely to the ground?

I have other ideas for our space engineers and developers to consider like glider suits that could be used in conjunction with our rocket-packs for long distance flying in atmosphere but those are minor and these are my major concerns that I would like to see addressed.

Care to share your ideas and feedback? Post them bellow and let me know what you think. :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Echillion

Echillion Senior Engineer

Maybe? depends on how the devs can implement it?

3. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

parachutes are coming soon as a mod. Stay tuned!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

Do tell. I'd like to know when they'd be coming out and who's making them.

5. Samulus

Samulus Trainee Engineer

I'd love cables, really.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

I was going to suggest satellite dishes for longer distance communication and microwave transmission of power, to power space craft but I thought it was a bit much. We don't really need satellite dishes except for the obvious reason that they look cool.

7. sioxernic

sioxernic Senior Engineer

The ideas are good but the argument where you say wasting a lot of steel plates building a connection to a tower is kind of false since you can just place scaffolding, it does not have to be complete.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

I am doing the block logic which is mostly done. Harag has contributed a door model. Still need the chute model. I have a proof of concept video on my YouTube channel

9. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

Let's see the video link.

10. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

Yes and impact your performance with the amount of polygons used in constructing that scaffolding, right? It all adds up and not everyone has the best gaming computer on the market. I'd like to see more efficiency and my statement is not false, you simply didn't think of the consequences of using too many materials rather then using the appropriate ones. Think a little harder about this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. sioxernic

I am aware, just saying that the argument you made is wrong, not saying it is a bad idea. Game mechanically that is an option right now and that is all I mentioned.

I do find this option interesting.

The only one I would disagree with "kind of" and that depends more on the focus that Keen wants is the parachute. I am not sure whether or not I would find it a good addition to the core gameplay experience (despite I would use it a fuck ton). It may skewer and make it to easy to transport materials from space to the ground (compared to what Keen may or may not have in mind) although this is pure speculation although I can say it does give an easy and possibly cheap option to get lots of cargo to the ground. Then there is the issue of how the parachute would work. Will it clip through blocks like KSP's parachutes for example? Is that the graphical fidelity that Keen would like into the game? And the same actually goes for Ropes and Powerlines as well.

So in the end I will say I am neither for nor against the suggestions laid out here but I am just voicing my potential concerns.

12. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

I think a hit box would help to avoid parachutes colliding with each other. Turrets have large and spacious hit boxes.

13. Stardriver907

Stardriver907 Master Engineer

While you are waiting for Keen to respond, you might consider the Power Lines mod, or the more interesting Power Transmitters. You might also want to search "cable" in the workshop for additional power lines (no mods yet for steel cable).

I'm not sure what the deal is with cable since ME has rope, but I'm sure it will get resolved.

Don't wait for parachutes from Keen. If they show up anywhere it'll be the Workshop.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

Love the power transmitter idea.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. sioxernic

The problem is also if the parachute is at the bottom (considering the vehicle relative to natural gravity) and whether or not the parachute would then flail through the blocks and so on, either way I was just voicing concerns and massive block space use might be a decent way of doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

"Simplicity is the highest form of sophistication." ~Leonardo Davinci

A hit box is the simple way of getting around this problem and there's no need to make things complicated if you can make them work, simply.

17. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

That's a video I took weeks back, using placeholder models. Physics wasn't done at that point now it is.

Sorry for not posting it earlier, I was posting from my phone.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

I actually found your video long before you posted the link here. I just used your forum name and 'parachute' as search terms. It's great that your working on this and doing such a great job, though. Do you have a estimated date for when it would be done? I can't wait to use this mod.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  19. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee

Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

could this mean... escape pods that are no fully functional ships?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Grit Breather

Grit Breather Junior Engineer

Only if they escape into an atmosphere...

21. SenorZorros

SenorZorros Master Engineer

fully functional is a bit of a difficult matter since a cockpit, a small reactor, a single gyro and a single thruster can already be considered a fully functional ship. and is neccesary on any escape pod to make sure you escape to the right place...

22. Grit Breather

Grit Breather Junior Engineer

Well...
    Can I replace that with a PB, battery, single gyro (until Keen give us RCS), and a single thruster. If we even get proper RCS, it would need a small Hydrogen tank and that thruster could be replaced with RCS too.

23. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

this is what I need for my lunar probes

24. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

I still have a bit of work to do here.

Need to implement repacking code.
    Implement chute component part.
    Implement chute removal for on block when it deploys.

On the model side the parachute door chute and component models need to be finished.

25. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

I'm not too savvy in coding but I know a thing or two about modeling and I don't think it takes that long. You said you were close to completing it so I can't imagine it would take you too long. My mind is floating around the estimate of a month or two but, I'm probably wrong.

26. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

If you know a thing or two perhaps you can make the item model I need.

The item model should look like a folded chute maybe twice as big as the gravel bag.

27. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

Keep in mind that I said I knew "a thing or two", I never said I've actually completed any modelling projects. Heck I haven't touched Blender in months and all I did was watch tutorials and build a few simple models that were displayed in the tutorials. i lost the motivation to do any modelling because I was just having fun and being distracted by Youtube and playing Space Engineers... I think I was just too lazy and put-off because I had to get my hands dirty and learn a new program. You know how it is. You see a new program that you have to get to know in order to make something you like but it takes a week or two to memorize all the things about it and get past the hard parts in the learning curve.

I really wish I could help you but I just don't work that way. I have to really be into something in order to do it and right now I'm obsessed with Space Engineers and making better and better bases and vehicles.

Listen to me making excuses to get out of this. I'm such a dork. Now I feel bad that I've turned you down. Hahaha!

28. Stardriver907

Stardriver907 Master Engineer

You're addicted. We get it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Geland

Geland Trainee Engineer

The problem is that he asked for my help and it's within my power to help him. Don't you get it?! It's a major dilemma! (Joking).

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

I would like to see parachute.

Also make sensor that can detect it's height from the planets surface.

Then you could make drop drones that would land themselves : D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.