1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Update 01.169 DEV - Physics and Voxel Optimizations, Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Cetric

Cetric Junior Engineer

Again rant is starting.
    --
    Nobody forces you and all others wo start complaining to buy that first release. It is no DLC either. It's a way of giving Keen SH a hand via a donation if you want to do so and want to contribute again something for all the fun you had for one...two..three years (!). Not more and no less.
    Everybody else just ignore the opportunity and enjoy your precious actual version as it works without the retro piece.
    --
    I don't see why the negativism again breaks out here, for such insignificant reason.
    --- Automerge ---
    Who forces you? And why you feel being forced? To what are you forced? Your game in current status 1.169 will work without that extra offer.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
  2. LATENT PRECISE-IMPOSER

LATENT PRECISE-IMPOSER Apprentice Engineer

Here's an idea, it's a crappy one but it gets keen a cash flow... if we want a mechanic in Space Engineers we bid for it.

is it rough, yes, but I will happily drop more than $10 into keen's bucket if it means we get ladders and old mechanics back, along with new blocks and mechanics

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Asylumdown

Asylumdown Trainee Engineer

Easy tigers. "Deluxe" versions of games are put out as a way for raving fans to support the game a little more than just buying the base version. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything and you can still play the game.

And for all those "but I already bought the game, why should I pay to play an older version " folks - fine, then don't. No one is forcing you to do anything. A 3 year old version of the game is a novelty they've decided to include because it's cool to see how far it's come. Nothing more.
    If you truly feel the alpha version from 2013 is a superior product to the beta, well lucky you, there's now a way for you to get it for cheap.

I for one passed the 1000 hour mark recently, which works out to about 26 cents an hour based on my purchase price. That is an absurd deal. I'm going to buy the deluxe version so I can stop feeling like I'm stealing something.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Me 10 Jin

Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

You just have to allow for knee-jerk. Give 24 hours for the facts to sink in and I think we'll see everything calm down.

Keen sort of walked into the proverbial spiderweb by putting "DLC" too close to "Early Access".

5. AutoMcD

AutoMcD Senior Engineer

This bears repeating. Yes, the game is frustrating with its slow development, but ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??

If you've logged 500+ hours then maybe it's time to re-think how annoyed you really should be over $20.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. szalkerous

szalkerous Trainee Engineer

I just noticed this new update has broken the ability to pick up ore rocks on the planet. 1 out of 10 seems to be highlighted, the rest just sit there, no highlight, doesn't pick up.

Edit: Clarification... Dedicated server, both client & server on latest dev version. Server has mods, but nothing new or updated since last release. Did not have this behavior on last version.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  7. Gakhon

Gakhon Trainee Engineer

Wow, great news! :) Finally some improvements on physics and wheels, and the 60% increased voxel render performance sounds huge. I'll be sure to try it.

Edit: I hope the physics/wheel improvements translate to dedicated server multiplayer too.

Why the 'Disagree' votes on the OP this time? Is it because of the paid 'deluxe' extras? For a change, I’m happy to say that I can't see any issue in this. A lot of people devote a huge amount of their free time on this game, and that 3 euros for trying out the original version is literally much less than what most people would spend regularly on completely pointless things, like ordering fast food.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  8. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

I've already said. I am not repeating myself.

9. Hemp Plan[e]t

Hemp Plan[e]t Apprentice Engineer

9€ for deluxe if you already own it - don't be so bitchy :p

To the people complaining to extra pay

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

A little EARLY for releasing a deluxe edition in "BETA" isn't it? Concept art is cool... but paying to see it?

Just my opinion... spend your money as you wish.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Barrio575

Barrio575 Apprentice Engineer

They never mentioned whether or not the piston/rotors work better in multiplayer, just that they are better. My guess is that they just work better in single. Jip.

12. Ender

Ender Trainee Engineer

Normally when I log into SE, it auto-updates and the download/install starts automatically. I went in today multiple times, including restarting Steam, and I'm not getting any updates. Yet when I attempt to play my normal server, its showing its the newer version 1.169.001 or whatever. How do I force my update? I don't see the option in Steam Library either.... Thanks!

13. DON78

DON78 Trainee Engineer

just tested some rotor and piston issues ... and nothing is better than before
    1. merging a grid to another with two pistons or rotors still does not work @Drui Bug or Feature? still missing official statement!
    2. Tricking the System: Rotor, Block and Rotorhead. Then move rotor to head with a piston an attach. This works. But if you turn the grid to a ship and move the rotors, the hole grid spins and spins and spins and spins (in space)
    3. pasting a grid, with a hangargate connected with two pistons (build in an older version) and trying to move the pistons make the attached grid loose its position. tested with no block damage, think with block damage on the ship will be gone in no time

So the improvements may be usefull on planets ... you can stand on a subgrid, but in space it is barely impossible to build functional constructions with pistons and rotors.

So ... shutting down, waiting for the next patch or perhaps an official note to this ...

you have to switch to developement-branche to get the update

14. Ender

Ender Trainee Engineer

The server has been the normal 'stable' mp dedicated one I've been playing on. I only play on the stable branch (or whatever SE calls their production server).
    So I'm guessing this means if my regular branch did not update automatically, the Dev did and that means the server switched to dev? But I though all updates now were to a production/dev environment, and there was no longer a separation in servers? (since BETA, production IS development, right?)

15. szalkerous

szalkerous Trainee Engineer

The server probably switched to the "develop" beta branch, since dedicated servers are really hurting since beta dropped and we need every fix we can get.

16. Ender

Ender Trainee Engineer

Nevermind..I see that is the case. The SE site shows Dev/Stable updates up to today (167, 168), now only shows 169 for Dev. But that still goes to say, I assumed they were no longer separating the two. An update to Dev is an update to Stable. Hmm..this means the server did switch branches on us...interesting. Once I changed my branch in Steam just now, it updated automatically (really quick, already done). But I don't play in dev... say la vee

17. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I took down my server after the new blocks. Stable is back to being incompatible for server usage. Maybe in a few weeks.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

@Xocliw When will survival mode have the bots in it!!! the easy start game mode has a HUGE base pre-built and bunch of vehicles provided... I just find that so silly, everything is provided.

I want a survival game mode where there is basically no big things provided, just a tiny ship, some tools and basic resources... and for there to be enemies on planets and in space to survive against, this includes the drifting ships and the ai drones, is it really so much to ask for? could you please mention this to the devs.

19. Pie

Pie Apprentice Engineer

Welded landing gears lock! They actually lock! Thanks to the devs and Praise Clang! Have another £6.28* for the deluxe edition! Shame I'm away for 2 weeks so my friends and I won't be able to continue our new survival DS. Hopefully a few more bugs will be fixed by the time we get back.

*€7 in Jan 2017, probably €5 if you're reading this in March 2017, €0.10 if you're reading this 1 year later.

20. kcjunkbox

kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

The new O2 tank and Blast Furnace models look great! No mention in the update though... Also, now that the models have been updated you need to update the mount points and airtightness, they are very out of date with the new models and don't make sense and are very inconsistent. For example, now the welders, grinders, drills, conveyor juntions and small cargo containers all have very similar and consistent shapes but the welders and grinders have no airtightness around 5 sides of their base block...but the drill does...? The top half of the blast furnace has mount points and airtightness but the block does not fill nearly all the space around 4 sides of the top half. O2 generators now have frames around the top half so all sides should be mountable but there are some air gaps so the top 3 sides should not be airtight but all the rest should. The base of the antenna is airtight...with those huge gaps...really? I'm sure there are others. Place all the blocks on a big flat plane and take a look at all of them and redetermine mountpoints and airtightness please.

Also, the large H2 tank says it has 22 airtight faces but it does not because if it did, in one orientation it would seal and in the other it would not and based on the model, it is obvious which one seals and which one does not. However, it does not seal in any direction.

21. Eric_The_Red

Eric_The_Red Trainee Engineer

Same for me. Hand drilling and picking up rocks is NOT an obscure task. It is a Core game mechanic. Don't the testers run through at least the core game mechanics before a release? I have no doubt this will be fixed via a hotfix but Maybe Keen should switch to bi-weekly releases and give themselves some more time for testing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. lordreaver

lordreaver Trainee Engineer

"Notably, wheels have been given some much needed attention as well as pistons and rotors."

Are you kidding me? I thought: "Well let's see how the wheels work now... what would be the easiest and fastest way to test it ... mhhh yea let's load the mission with the tank."
    So and that is what I've done. My savepoint was on on a small sand dune with an angle of maybe 2 or 3 degree. Now let's engage the handbrakes... oh and STILL the vehicle rolls downwards the dune until it reaches a completely flat surface.
    WHY don't the weels REALLY stop when I engage the handbrake?

I mean pistons have so much power that they will break ships, stations, even voxels and whole worlds down resulting in apocalyptic explosions. Then why isn't the handbrake powerful enough to stop a small vehicle? That is a JOKE, really!
    This forum gets flooded with bug reports the last few weeks and bugs that are claimed to be fixed in updates aren't really fixed. Small landing gears STILL don't work... I mean come on, we know you have absolutely NO Q/A but you should still test what you are doing, don't you think?

You've created a great game that makes a lot of fun and I love your weekly updates but in the same time I HATE your updates because the QUALITY of your updates is near zero! I just don't get it. Make small bugfixes, test them, release them - DONE. I'm a software developer myself and I know that bugs CAN occur but in the last 2 years your patches have ALWAYS made everything worse than it was before and only after a few hotfixes you sorted out "most" of your newly created bugs.
    I encounter bugs that had been gone for almost a year and now they are back again. What are you doing? Do you work on 3 year old branches and fail on merging them with the current dev?

I don't think that anyone of you will be reading this but I needed to write down my anger finally. I just really HOPE for better quality of patches.
    In the end of November 2016 you reworked your "netcode" and I was really amazed how it worked out but now you STILL create new async problems. WHY? Do you develop / fix and test everything in singleplayer and forget about multiplayer? And why does singleplayer and multiplayer code differ in the first place? Thats just pure nonsense...
    I think you have some big problems in your infrastructure that you have to work out. I'd be okay with a patch stop for a month or more. Just "freeze" the code and get your quality problems sorted. It's the only way to reduce newly created bugs with every patch and will raise the quality of the whole project.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  23. ViroMan

ViroMan Senior Engineer

Seriously?! If you guys need more cash just open a PayPal account and ask people to donate when they feel like it or something... even allow people to set up monthly auto payments... what ever people want. But asking us to pay for that... I got no more words on this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Scorpion00021

Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

When do we get that shiny pistol they teased a while back?

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. ViroMan

ViroMan Senior Engineer

It has just occurred to me... with this update... we can now have wonkavators that you won't slip around in. Merge blocks/landing gears + pistons.

26. Whiplash141

Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

It is funny how the armor textures in the first release are better than the "updated" ones. When are y'all going to listen to feedback? This is not an improvement: [​IMG]

Blast doors and catwalks still look like overdesigned crap.

Oh and attempting to sell an old alpha of the game to people who have already supported you for years is insulting.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  27. Bad Humour

Bad Humour Apprentice Engineer

Interesting update and great work on the physics improvements and well the block improvements is a mixed bag.
    Spotlights, arc furnaces look a lot better but Light armor still looks like it has gone through a blender or a paint job done by vengeful moody teenagers.

wasn't it when they first announced that they were going to have an original edition that it will just be an option in the steam betas? Honestly they should have stuck with that not only will ppl find it insulting but I didn't buy the game back then bc I didn't think it was worth my money as it was lacking content.

I will not buy it now either, I was tho looking forward to doing the good ol Space Engineers of the version before I joined. which was when multiplayer was released but It seems like they put a price tag on it for a thing ill only play once just for nostalgia reasons. Not going to happen.
    The Soundtrack and artwork being sold I can live with. Many games do that and its fine, its like an optional extra.

Ill be doing more extensive testing to see if some of the annoying physics problems are fixed you will here more of me. :D

Edited for clarity

28. beringtom

beringtom Trainee Engineer

All I saw in that movie was a player climbing a ladder...
    Compound underwater ladders confirmed?

29. Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher Trainee Engineer

I've done some testing and I'm not seeing a noticeable physics improvement whereas the last update had a noticeable difference.

Has anyone else done any testing?

Also voxel performance is horrible, looking around lags like crazy in both FPS and server simulation rate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Veritas

Veritas Apprentice Engineer

I just did some testing with wheels, holy hell they work! Had to up the friction and power a little bit, but I definitely am able to grip surfaces better, and park on steep hills without sliding away as if on ice.

I hope we see welded blueprints and merge blocks on sub grids for multiple pistons/rotors to be fixed soon.

Also, I agree with Whip and the others about the armor looking too busy. Tone it down just a little bit, please.

[​IMG]

Versus

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.