1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Features you'd pay again to see.

Discussion in 'General' started by Ronin1973, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

If they needed more money why'd they blow 10 mill of their profits on an AI company competing directly with a Tesla backed open source group?

Good business call...

#Shouldvestucktoprogramming

2. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

I think you meant to say 10 mil of mareks own money

#itisstillprogramming

3. halipatsui

halipatsui Senior Engineer

Isnt lord clang meaningful PvE?

4. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

What I would pay again to see?

Simple VR support. I don't need anything more complex than what Subnautica supports, meaning a simple seated experience... let me look around, otherwise control the character like I do today. I don't need controller support.

I would pay for that, easily. And given what they showed on that demo stream of theirs, this shouldn't be too hard for them to do... Just slap on a huge nausia and performance warning on it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. AceNepets

AceNepets Apprentice Engineer

Radar,

Radar, radar, radar!

Playing on any Multiplayer server, I get to post-scarcity in about 20 to 30 hours of play time. I build whatever ship I want, can visit any planet with it..... and then what? There is no way to find others. More specifically, there is no passive and/or active sensing mechanic that makes detection, avoidance and evasion possible, which for a space game is absolutely required. Without any kind of radar, I have three options at present: 1) Beg for someone to post their GPS coordinates to their base on global chat. 2) Exploit bugs such as the current beacon bug wherein I can see players broadcasting up to about 400 km out. 3) Using the Raycast function on the Camera block, build a massive/huge array (10000+ camera blocks) to try to accomplish only a fraction of what the Remote Control Block GFD call could do months ago.

I'm at the point where I'm just going to write a white-paper or other technical primer on how this mechanic should work and still be both fun and scientifically accurate. Has Keen even started/considered extending the sensing mechanics in the game? Would I just be wasting my time trying to articulate something that they already have in the pipeline?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. tankmayvin

tankmayvin Senior Engineer

While I'd also pay for radar I'm firmly in the camp that this should come in the base game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

I would not pay for blocks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tankmayvin

tankmayvin Senior Engineer

DLC blocks basically cannot work for the very simple reason that it would completely segregate what is already a small multiplayer community. How do you add DLC blocks and still allow DLC owners and non-DLC owners to play together? The block can only be built from the G menu by DLC owners whereas non-dlc owners can capture/merge it onto their ships etc?

Having some people with something as powerful as radar wheras others were blind would totally break MP and either kill the game or make the DLC mandatory.

For other stuff like more armored slopes that aren't really functional or feature blocks, well I don't want that enough to pay for it nor does it really justify the DLC price tag. Lets not have FO4 style DLCs please.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  9. AceNepets

AceNepets Apprentice Engineer

Totally agree, forgot that we were talking about paid DLC, just defaulted to rant mode :) .

10. Akimitsu18

Akimitsu18 Apprentice Engineer

I would pay for some kind of AI that can be implemented into both mobs (dogs, spiders) as well as block-built drones. I'll probably just buy it anyway, 1200 hours in SE for a cost of $20 is a great value.

11. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

Lol...

"Put features that are standard in any other game into Space Engineers and I'll pay you MOAR!" kind of demonstrates everything that's wrong with the game industry today.

12. Dax23333

Dax23333 Junior Engineer

A lot of things on this thread I am surprised at.

For a start, a list of features I would not pay for. I expect these to get done at some point as the game progresses to being finished.
    • Better PvE. The AI of the animals in paticular need to be improved.
    • Blocks in any form. If mods can make a thing, having it as paid dlc is pointless and silly. This includes rails, hinges etc.
    • Fixes for buggy behavoir and trickyness of rotors and pistons.
    • Any other bugfix.
    However some things I do think could work for paying again to see.
    • Basic VR support as Malware said. Maybe we could get some Keen Software House sick bags to go with it.
    • Maybe a campaign pack? Not entirely sure this would be good as a 2nd purchase but a bunch of well made, immersive campaign stories to play would be great.

13. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Senior Engineer

• derelict ship/base spawns on planets
    • pirate station/ship spawns on planets

• a reason to go to a planet other than
      enjoying the environment
      breathing in the low levels or no levels of oxygen
      getting mauled by the local wildlife who don't seem to fear a flying metal giant full of light and noise

• a way to start from scratch without needing assemblers/refineries.
    • even though changes are i'll never buy into it....VR would be pretty sick in SE

14. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

Wildlife?

You mean the 2 creatures there are across all the planets and moons?

There is literally no reason to ever land on a planet if you started in space and if you started on a planet the game basically ends when you leave the planet (you reach the asteroids, hit abundance, kill some pirates and then realise there's nothing left to do).

It's less of a game, more of an advanced game engine for Modders.

Please Keen, prove me wrong because my PC runs the game at 75fps with only rare bugs. On my old computer I kept thinking "this game will be so cool once I can play it well" and then it's just empty.

I stopped playing about a year ago and literally nothing has been added except a defective new multiplayer and new blocks (visual, not a feature).

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. PiettroBeretta

PiettroBeretta Trainee Engineer

I know this can be easely add by mods but i deffinitely would like to pay for specializations.. like planetary engineer set, Bio engineer or combat engineer set.. if these sets adds new options,blocks and pendants so We Will see what we spend our money for.. classic space engineers could profit from these bonuses As well but they Wont create it.. If only one specialization can be active at the time it help on MP to coop....

16. Forcedminer

more wildlife would be nice but even when 6 wolfs spawn the sim speed murders itself.

hopefully these changes to survival they hinted at adds something some reason to kind of....keep playing.

because you're right in a sense I got this game easily 6-8 months ago and apart from the fancy new blocks skins and numinous bug fixes tweaks and optimizations...........it doesn't feel all that different.....if anything mods are pretty much the only thing that has added a bit of livelyment to my worlds.

17. Hemp Plan[e]t

Hemp Plan[e]t Apprentice Engineer

it is'nt a "feature" but if they focus on MP (i know they already do since months) and get it working with 100 clients on one server the game would be in top 5 on steam i think :3

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Forcedminer

Yeah MP can really make a game....hell i mean look at other examples..... Rust is awesome for vicious MP action, minecraft gets pretty dull without* MP, arc survival with the dinosaurs

SE could easily be added to that list but each and every server i ever join....sim speed 0.5....sim speed 0.25....sim speed 0.33.....
    a sim speed that makes flying in space even more unbelievably boring, slow and depressing.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hemp Plan[e]t

Hemp Plan[e]t Apprentice Engineer

yeh rust is cool but they use unity so it's much easier for them i guess. I know thats not the point you want to tell but i just want to tell :D

20. mecra

mecra Apprentice Engineer

The ability to push a Group's setup to any new block that joins that group. (Looking at you Gats and Missile turrets)

21. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

Never believed that was ever an option. Game's too demanding by nature, there's a limit to optimization, computers can do only so much. 20-30, maybe, depending on server hardware and bandwidth - and only with good hardware and bandwidth.

Call me a pessimist if you will.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Acolyte

Acolyte Apprentice Engineer

Well I bought the game in a sale, have nearly 600 hours that is an unholy mixture of fun, grief and playtest crapology, and have two big starts dead-ended, one by simspeed, one by bugs in the hydrogen fuel system. Overall a reasonable alpha (now beta !) experience so my reservations tend to be of the facepalm variety than the angry-I-feel-cheated variety. So I'm chilling waiting for the game to catch up and make my saves playable - or not.

If I were to buy more SE then logically it would have to be new content rather than stuff that should be, or should have been, in the base game ( I play single player PvE), so things like new environments spring to mind for DLC.

Nebulas and other space anomalies that impact ships (and personnel) systems in funky new ways that present new challenges to survive and exploit. Not that I want new ores or anything like some folks, but there's lots of variety in space, so maybe ;

a nebula that requires me to stay underground to minimise radiation while i send out remote ships to do my work.

a windy world that adds challenges to flight, making wheels moire important (and making it more important that Keen fixes wheels !)

a monster world where big creatures roam and we need vehicles to prevent teradactyls carrying us off,
    and fast vehicles to flee from the dino's that could carry off our vehicle too. You can add a couple of blocks that generates a electric field to
    protect bases but I would like to see it NOT be added to vehicles - a bit hard in your model at the moment, given that large grids can move,
    unless you resurrect "Fixed Grid" model type.

I'd also like to see a better automation system than the C# based crud we have so far, but thats something that should be in the base game anyway imho.

23. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

Maybe we'll get a game in Space Engineers 2...

It's funny how Marek mentioned that in an interview and then content stopped coming.

24. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

It's funny how the discussion of se2 keeps getting taken completely out of context.

The best part is the article in question was posted 2 years ago and content certainly in no way stopped coming.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  25. RIPerKilla

RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

Hmmm.. Just one for me.

Damn ME-style "Multiple blocks in one box" block placing.
    [​IMG]

Every time I try to place interior lights I feel pain.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

We got planets which is of benefit to their engine overall and not Space Engineers specifically, for an example: see "Medieval Engineers".

Do you ever stop white knighting?

27. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

We also got cameras, projectors, timer bkocks, GPS saves and autopilot, ui transparancy, warp drive, rotating sun, jihad dogs, later tured into regular dogs with a iron diet, scripting, scenarios, campaign......

And that's just a handful of what I grabbed at a glance.

And I don't know. Do you ever stop posting misinformation? I wouldn't have to continue doing this if you just got facts right for once.

28. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

Lol, "features".

Timers, cameras and projectors have been in for years, the rest is related to planets or QOL.

Scripting and scenarios are because they can't be bothered to put in a campaign.

It's not a game, it's an engine demo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

They've already started the campaign and it's good so far.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  30. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

See, misinformation again. I know the article that he's referencing and I have it on my browser. It's dated as published 2 years ago. Now in Harrekin own words:

Marek mentioned se2 in an interview that is marked 2 years ago and then content stopped coming.
    Except it hasnt.
    The article itself had a click bait title of space engineers 2. Marek only used that title as an example of what they would do in certain situations. The author made it sound like Keen were going to create a new game. That's the information a person would receive had they read past the title.

And how does he not know about the campaign? It's only been the talk of the forums for a while now.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.