1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Undocumented missile change?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dwarf-Lord Pangolin, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin

Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

A tank I'm working on is blowing itself up now when it wasn't before, and as far as I can tell it's because missiles got changed somehow. It uses a reloadable rocket launcher, and has blocks placed to the sides of the missile ports. It used to be safe to fire with 11 blocks projecting out in front of the ports, but now if there's anything beyond 6 blocks, the missiles hit them while turning the turret.

I can't exactly complain, because that's more realistic, but I'd love to know what got changed. It also further highlights the frustration of having only two real kinds of weapons in the game, neither of which are ideal for armored vehicles, and none of which can actually be engineered. :?

It's also wacky, because sometimes the missiles don't seem to spawn until they're beyond the 11 block distance anyway. Very inconsistent.

The pic below shows it firing; all the rockets used to spawn at that distance, and I think the change is that some of them are spawning closer now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sinbad

Sinbad Senior Engineer

no feedback on rockets, but thats a great looking tank! very sleek and powerful style. kinda looks like its begging for a rail gun... keen?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. FlakMagnet

FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Try moving hte launcher down the barrel until it stops blowing up. That should give yoiu an idea if it's a clearance issue.

I suspect the missile is spawning too close and registering an impact on those corner lights.

• Late Late x 1
  4. The Churrosaur

The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Oh keen... I love them, but they seriously need to do something about the .sbc version file mixups that happen every single week. I wouldn't be surprised if it see-saws back and forth between usable and not until the next major update...
    @FlakMagnet don't take the disagree personally, but OP established the issue that keen changed the missile spawn distance from 11 to 6 blocks. So yes, that's the problem.

5. GrindyGears

GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Keen also made some undocumented changes to blast door blocks collision on the narrow sides, they now behave more like a full block, given how you have the missiles inset like that it's ALSO possible this is the cause not missile changes.

Edit: I looked closer at the tank, my complaint isn't likely to cause this issue...

But it still fucks me over....

6. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Senior Engineer

do missiles launcher still fire missiles that don't carry the speed of the ship they were fired from?

like if im flying 100 m/s and fire a missile the missiles spawn speed is 0 m/s which means you have to aim miles in front of your target.

has that been changed yet?
    i know we can place blocks are they'll keep the same speed as us.

7. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Someone inserted an old copy of the .sbc files on the new build. That's why welders are set to suck-ass again, advanced handtools were nerfed, and a bunch of other problems. I would give it a week for them to get their shit together again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FlakMagnet

FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

@The Churrosaur ..I never take disagrees personally when they are accompanied by the reason someone disagrees :) That's just having a discussion. It's the ones who drop a disagree without taking the time to post that I don't understand.

Overall...I have to say, Keen make a lot of undocumented changes, and errors with detail changes really don't help. It would be easier to post bug reports if we knew what was being changed! And releasing wrong code/data is just bad management. Have they actually got someone policing version control?

9. odizzido

odizzido Junior Engineer

I doubt they have anyone making sure all of the changes are merges correctly. This is a constant problem for them. They should seriously hire someone to merge files. I can't imagine it would be hard to find someone as even I have successfully merged dozens of mods in different games and my programming experience is minimal.

10. Robotnik V

Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Looks like the delay between when the missile is fired and when it is armed has been decreased, which I can't seem to find the arm time in the sbc. files, which means that it may be an error in the source code. Either way, I recommend avoiding missiles right at the moment, they inherit the ships movement, but then keep accelerating even when they hit max speed, which causes them to lose the ships momentum. If you fly at 100m/s, and fire a missile sideways, you will see what I'm talking about. Ultimately it makes all missile turret tracking at any speed above 0 m/s useless, and makes it incredibly hard to hit your target when using static rocket launchers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Phoera

Phoera Senior Engineer

never saw arm time in source.

12. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm really hoping this change was the result of an accident. I'm going to do some more tests; if missiles explode against large ship hulls while maneuvering, which they haven't done for a while because of the changes Keen made, then I think we can conclude this was unintentional. Then I'll report it as a bug.

Why thank you! :)

13. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin

I can't get rockets to explode against large ships, so between that and several updates having passed, I'm going to have to assume this is an intentional change. RIP, Cool Barrel. :(

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.