1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Update 1.182.0 - Major Optimizations, Reduced Loading Times & More!

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Thrak

Thrak Junior Engineer

2. Hyomoto

Hyomoto Apprentice Engineer

@kingkrieg - I think it can be argued pretty strongly that 'food' or 'hungry' or so on would not be a beneficial mechanic. We already have to babysit hydrogen, oxygen and electricity and honestly, that's enough. If you consider the inventory another form of babysitting, then that's four reasons to stop whatever you are doing and return to an appropriate station in your ship/base/world/whatever. Oh, I forgot about health. I mean, think it through, just how would you implement it? Would another bar to manage? Would you just fill it up at the medical station like the rest? Then it doesn't matter. If it's a whole different section of gameplay, well you start bumping into the real rub in SE: lack of non-building activities. So really, until Space Engineers evolves to the point where we have enough gameplay that eating would be a welcome distraction to it, I think it's safe to say we don't need another meter to fill up.

As someone who only plays survival, has only played survival, and only wants to play survival, that's my opinion on the subject.

3. JasonG

JasonG Trainee Engineer

Renderer Keeps crashing for me still, as soon as I generate any particles on planet surfaces it seems. was driving my rover on the ice lake but if I even hit land at 1ms my renderer crashes. getting 60 ups and 25fps though :) Im running a hp 250 g4 CoreI5 5th gen 2.2 ghz duel core with 3.2 ghz turbo. with intel 5500 graphics 2gb shared ram on a 4gb total. Thank you very much very happy with the game, apreaciate you putting up with my rants and harsh comments in the community keen

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

When did Gold become so twinkly?

And also..... are Pirate bases no longer in the game? is there anything in the game that is not a drifting ship? I feel like I am not finding anything anymore other than drifting ships, and this is in deep space.... The game feels so empty :<

5. Neza

Neza Trainee Engineer

Concerning the problem with rotors:

From my testing it looks like the combination of normal as well as advanced rotors (Large Grid) with a small rotor head (Small Grid) causes the problem (rotor permanently taking damage until destroyed).
    Large grid rotors with small grid heads is one of the best things you guys ever gave us (imo), because it allows to combine small grids and large grids.

Best regards,
    Neza

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kingkrieg

kingkrieg Apprentice Engineer

@Hyomoto and @Malware:

Thank you for your well thought replies, its true that having food mechanics would just be another bar to fill currently as the game stands, and being someone who have been in SE since ladders, i can say i have been pleasanty been surprised every week during the development of the game (except when the fireflies graphic effect was implemented, but im sure many others had the same complaints back then).

I guess ill just have to wait, a couple more months or years, give or take, for me, SE has been as fun as it has been since day one, however, many community ideas and workshop items do deserve to be in vanilla SE, i was surprised on how fast the parachutes mod would be adapted into the game, yet i still dont know why main battleship cannons arent part of such, despite them being the ones who released the concept first :(

best wishes!

7. Stardriver907

Stardriver907 Master Engineer

It should go without mentioning that this sort of thing would most likely come with a toggle (not unlike oxygen) so that those of us that understand how the mechanic would actually work (which is not as how you portray it) would have the option to have it, and those that would not prefer it would not have to contend with it.

It doesn't affect the game, only how you play it ;)

8. JuStX2

JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

Portray this: I'm crashing on Windows 8.1 when Trying to load a new game world in SE; *THAT* should come with a Checkbox - which is set to false automatically.
    --- Automerge ---
    Also not long ago there was mod for eating/drinking that someone restored - I haven't been able to use it because of the patch but...it's there if you can play. It's "Advanced Life Support"
    --- Automerge ---
    It's definitely the patch - i can go back one beta stage and it works fine - and i can play the same stage and everything on the current release and have NO MODs Enabled - and i'll CTD after it gets to the loading screen before the world is viewed :/
    --- Automerge ---
    Ironically I've been trying to play one of the scenerios featured on the patch notes: Easy Start Earth...SMFH
    --- Automerge ---
    It's definitely
    nope only worsens them - especially when they're gamebreaking :p

9. Thrak

Thrak Junior Engineer

I haven't felt the need to roll back in a few updates, so a question: Do rollbacks still revert to the "base" update, e.g., 181.0 instead of 181.6? If so, I wonder if it might be better for each rollback point to be set at the completely fixed (and hotfixed) version of the major update cycle ....

10. JuStX2

It's definitely
    Forgive me but I kinda am having the problem that I'm doing the opposite - starting fresh entirely and it still crashes....

11. Stardriver907

Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Um, ok. I was just pointing out that hunger and thirst as vanilla did not have to be forced on everyone. If it goes in the game it will likely have a toggle just as oxygen does, for the exact same reasons. That's all.

The Advanced Life Support mod by SEModder4 is actually the resurrection of the Elite Dangerous mod, which went belly-up after the switch to DX11. Modder "rekcah" made the Hunger and Thirst patch for the ALS mod. I'm not sure it is the "model" the community would like to see as vanilla. Consensus within the community suggests that hunger/thirst should be a thing, but it shouldn't be something that will kill you every 15 minutes if you don't do something fast. Most likely it will mean you will move slower if don't eat something every few hours, but it would take days to die from hunger.

I was having a terrible time getting the game to load after the update, even a fresh vanilla world. It turns out that something happened to one of the files when the update downloaded.

In the Steam browser, go to Library and right click Space Engineers, then select Properties. In the Properties dialog box click the LOCAL FILES tab. There is a button marked "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES..." When you click that button steam will check your local file against the file it has and if there's a difference Steam will automatically fix it. I didn't think this would help me but it turned out to be just what I needed to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

What are your full system specs, everything, motherboard, memory, cpu, gpu... everything... including Windows version and video card driver version... and for the sake of it sound card or chip and driver version for the sound card/chip.

13. CrazyEd

CrazyEd Trainee Engineer

I for one LOVE the inclusion of hotfix notes ! Well done Keen :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ondřej Nahálka

Ondřej Nahálka QA Lead Staff

What we are currently working on
    • Game crash in Campaign (edge case)
    • Blocker in Campaign (edge case)
    • Desync issues in MP [investigating]
    • Door issues [investigating]
    • Cannot place gatling gun block in Survival
    • Rotors are disappearing while blueprint is pasted
    • Clang with adv. rotor large and small adv. rotor head
    • Some sounds are missing after reloading
    • Spotlights blinking
    • Items in slots are not displayed when the scene is loaded (due optimizations)
    • Corner LCD panels are not emissive
    Thanks for your great reports! :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. SCP 106 [SPS]

SCP 106 [SPS] Trainee Engineer

Awesome. nice to see good quality communication :) I like this

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Darian Stephens

Darian Stephens Trainee Engineer

Sorry, I guess you didn't see my followup comment. The particles only disappear sometimes, but most of the time they stick around as long as they should. The grinder has a weird cloud of particles that don't move and disappear really quickly, but those are the only issues I've seen recently. Well, the fireflies are still missing, but that's less obvious.
    Particles also don't respond to light levels or respect glass, but I suspect that would be very difficult to fix without using the CPU for them, which would limit the amount you can have and defeat the purpose of using GPU particles. The light levels could maybe be somewhat fixed if you can detect the conditions beforehand and alter the particles before spawning... but I digress.

As for the spin, I think it might have been related to the Zombie mod's NPC ragdolls, since the effects appear to manifest themselves when one is killed and we haven't experience them since removing that mod.

On an unrelated note, do you know if anyone's working on fixing the inability to interact with things on the opposite side of a projection, or errors when the game tries to use a projection that has been deleted by a script? That last one causes issues with block behaviour, like rotor heads not spawning or multiplayer clients being unable to place blocks on the grid.

17. Rikerwota

Rikerwota Trainee Engineer

Not sure if this is normal or not, but a merge block on a piston totally sheers off and goes flying when it attaches to another merge block on a ship.

18. Hyomoto

Hyomoto Apprentice Engineer

I think you may have some lofty goals here, but the only question I asked was how do you think it would work? If I were to examine space engineers and follow that logic, I'd say it would most likely be a block, or two, that would need to be exposed to sunlight to produce a resource. Then, as the player, you would be required to refill this resource periodically. Which is how energy works. And how oxygen works. And how hydrogen works. So, when you say that those of you who understand how it would actually work would have the option, I'm just wondering: how did you think it would work that is so very different than this?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. JuStX2

I see how it is - you don't care about custom games crashing on World Creation - only your precious campaign mode...and I thought there was some hope for this game :/
    --- Automerge ---
    Technically there's nothing stopping them from creating a "real" food system (ie. Portable Food Packs which can be carried in inventory to restore hunger (which indeed would be a bar but not quite like O2 or Hydrogen) which you could make from (yet again) a new microwave block - by heating biomatter (probably treebark seeing as NPCs are toggleable) Anyway it seems like a good idea on paper. Solar Farms already produce oxygen they could be crosswired to produce biomatter as well in the manner you described - but that seems a bit difficult to rely on. I think the idea is good the implementation is poor in this case. Again all of the food/water needs systems have already been prototyped by a mod on the workshop.

20. jemccro

jemccro Apprentice Engineer

I have been playing 180.6 (last update before next major) since 181.1 came out. It states the version that you are playing on the main screen when you launch the game in the lower-right-hand portion of the screen. All I selected was "1.180-" in the betas tab.

21. JuStX2

I wouldn't hold out too much hope at this point; They can and will alienate the populace that plays their game for the sake of "progress" - which is in of itself a problem. Plus they did technically go all bullheaded on the Dirty Glass for ages. Looking at their history it's going to take more than one or two "major" bug fixes to regain my trust - at this point all i see is a bunch of lying, low down, good for nothing pack rats. When you get to the point that you can't play the game and they don't give a care in the world - then you can say you've seen the "true" SE.

To Quote Despicable Me - "I love everything about your plan - except you".

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. FlakMagnet

FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Well..it's good to know which of hte nbew crop of buglets are being worked on. Information is ALWAYS good...even when it's bad.

Personally...I am finding pistons weaker than before and ALL my deep drilling machines seem to snap the drill cluster off the end piston now, and they sway a lot more than they used to. The game loads messily...with low detail LODSstaying around when they shouldn't as the game loads in. I can't place small grid gatlings and I get engine particle effects when I land on a planet even after I turn off the engines. I also blow up when I lock the landing gear.

Apart from that ...what have the romans ever done for us!

23. JuStX2

even though I find the question offensive I will answer

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz (3192.61 MHz)
    Memory: 8132 MB
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit (Build 9600)
    Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit)/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.2635
    OpenGL Version: 4.3.0

I don't think OPenGL is the driver I use for SE - but it was a part of the readout on the program to identify hardware.

Anyway unless the was a major change in system specs for required items my PC Meets the requirements to play - I can play the previous patch for just fine on the Beta's Tab so it had to be that first "major" patch that took everything out.

Also i've already tried verifying my cache (was one of the first things I tried tbh - only after that failed did I roll back the version of the game). I want to see the patch, but the fact is it's not letting me do anything with the game at all.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  24. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

I'm not quite sure what driver version that is for your video card... from what I can figure out it's a driver from 2014?

If that is true I would highly recommend updating your video card driver, this is for your system, 378.49 WHQL https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/114346/en-us

Or select it manually here https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Ondřej Nahálka

Ondřej Nahálka QA Lead Staff

Do not worry, we are working on it as well

Game crashes are much more important than anything else.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  26. Zhiila

Zhiila Tester Staff

Hi,

I tried to reproduce it for some time now and I am still unable to do it. I noticed I´m missing some mods and blueprint is not fully working (I wasn´t able to make rotor part working properly) so maybe it´s the reason. Does it still happen to you and does it happen only with this specific blueprint? If you could provide us steps to reproduce it for 100% that would be great or also save game with pasted ship and all mods active would be very helpful. This is the video with my attempt:

But as I said bug didn´t occur to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2017
  27. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin

Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

The amount of information on what's being worked on that the devs are giving in this thread is making me positively giddy! :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  28. ViroMan

ViroMan Senior Engineer

Indeed this is exactly what we have been bemoaning that has been missing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. DeathOnAStick

DeathOnAStick Trainee Engineer

I've been having much trouble targeting small grid blocks that I've placed either welding or grinding them. I found I have had luck getting it while facing "south". is this the previously mentioned block targeting bug?

I've been using the drill to destroy blocks cuz I couldn't complete them or building a welder next to my work just to finish the blocks lol

30. Zhiila

Zhiila Tester Staff

YES! :tu: It was mentioned as "displaced selection of blocks with welder and grinder" and it´s fixed in 1.182.000. It´s not happening to me anymore, is that same for you?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.