1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

1.183.3 - Corrupted .exe and the neverending verify on steam.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by tyriael_soban, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. tyriael_soban

tyriael_soban Apprentice Engineer

While i was playing this morning i received a click box notification that a new version of SE was available on steam for download, i logged out of my game and let the system update my client.
    When this was done, i loaded up the client and the splash appeared for a moment, game pushed itself to fullscreen and then crashed to desktop, i tried this one further time and the steam client returned an error warning me that the application was unable to launch due to a corrupted file, namely the .exe.

I got steam started on verifying the files in the SE folder and when it finished, it simply started again and has been doing that for the last 45 mins, over and over again, telling the system to launch when finished simply returns the corrupted .exe error on steam and the verifying continues again, over and over again.

2. Tylus

Tylus Apprentice Engineer

I had that too a few times. after verifying and downloading the new files. Steam checks the files again. Detects an issue and repeats the process in an never ending loop. This has most likely nothing to do with the game but with the way Steam updates its files.

Surprisingly it happened more often on Space Engineers then on all other games where this Issue occurred to me, but still I got some solution to share.
    1. Try relogging to steam. (log of, completely exit the programm, start it again and log back in). This may help clearing some caches that Steam still has which has a corrupted File in it.
    2. Try Rebooting your computer. There could also be some corruption. Its actually helped me once just doing so.
    3. Check File-Permissions. When Steam downloads Files it may fail to overwrite the existing ones. When a Reboot is not able to fix it. It may be caused by wrong Permissions. Such thing may happen when there is more then 1 user account on your computer using the same files. Also there are people who claim that windows updates may have caused it. But I kinda doubt that. In case of permission errors I expect steam to display a Message so this is probably not it, but it wont hurt to double check it.
    4. Reinstall the game. I remember having the Issue 5 times. The last time was over a year ago. In 4 of these occurrences I just reinstalled the game. In case there are any data like savegames or blueprints you wanna keep. You find them in your Application Data (Press win+r and insert %appdata%\SpaceEngineers). These files should not be deleted when you uninstall the game, but to be save you should copy them elsewhere.
    5. If you are unable to reinstall the game you probably got an hardware problem with your hard drive. This is unlikely. I think with step 4 it should be fixed. Otherwise there are tools in the net and even on your computer that can analyze for disk problems. But I remember them at the moment. I am sure google would help you with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Hey,

To clean install the game:

• Uninstall the game through steam

• Find the folder location %appdata%, you can type this into any explorer window

• There you will see a SpaceEngineers folder. You might want to rename this to keep your saves and blueprints. If not then you can just delete the folder

• Find the steamapps folder (default: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps

• Delete the SpaceEngineers folder

• Install the game again through Steam

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tyriael_soban

tyriael_soban Apprentice Engineer

the reboot method actually seems to of worked, thanks for the advice though guys - i just havnt had enough time to test it till today.
    ill have to keep that in mind for possible problems with any of my other steam games.

5. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

No problem thats what the forums are for.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.