1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

[Resolved] Laser Antennas not connecting on Survival play

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Timuroslav, Sep 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Timuroslav

Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

So I have two laser Antennas built on grids made by me by hand within 50km of each other on grids I've made, and they still won't connect or establish a link. I'm pretty sure the ranges for both large grid Laser Antennas are 50km at max. I can get Laser Antennas to connect in Creative but not in Survival. My satelite isn't moving I've stopped both my satelites using the Space Master Admin command.

So Idk where to put this it has been in the game since March. Because this is my second Large Grid Satelite to Ground large grid system I've made. Power and ownership aren't the issues. So Idk what the problem is.

*False Alarm*
    Laser Antenna ranges for Large Grids are 40km

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  2. XkyDiver

XkyDiver Apprentice Engineer

Laser Antennae seem to have a field of view, much like turrets. They need to be able to turn their dishes to point at the other antenna. You may have to re-build the Laser Antenna such that it can rotate to face the far-off grid properly. :)

Edit for anecdote: I tried putting a Laser Antenna on a Small Grid ship once, and experimented with piloting it around the base. It lost connection whenever the Laser Antenna was unable to point at the base, much like a turret. I'm guessing the Large Grid version works the same way.

3. NoThanks

NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

There is or was also and issue with Laser antenna* unable to connect past the render distance. I am not sure if this is still the case. Also If I remember correctly the range for laser antennae was 40 km, one would think they would have a greater range but no. I'd envisioned Laser antenna as being only able to communicate with one source at a time, but carrying the advantage of being both silent and having a much greater range. Sadly only one of those things was true (the reason I stopped playing with laser antenna actually, combined with an extremely high power drain just being silent isn't enough of a pay-off... Now if it could connect over several hundred km... that's a different story!)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. XkyDiver

XkyDiver Apprentice Engineer

We've actually had some great discussion of that here. :) I agree with you, NoThanks!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Timuroslav

Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for responding. This was kind of what I was afraid of. Kind of annoying you have to figure out the Antenna ranges by trial and error. This really puts a dampeners on my Satelite wifi network on Mars.

6. NoThanks

NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

Yeah lol, that's why I stopped messing with them. They weren't worth the hassle for being a slightly less effective, more restrictive version of the antenna. If silence is the only upside... then it can't be worth the headaches it takes.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.