1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

[1.185.016][DS] Grid render reduces server sim speed to 0.07 in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Kevin03YZFR1, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kevin03YZFR1

Kevin03YZFR1 Trainee Engineer

This tends to be more obvious when 3 or more players are logged in but the drop in simulation speed can be observed to points as low as 0.60 with only one person logged in.

When traveling in suit or a by ship, rendering grids reduces sim speed to 0.07 for about 30 seconds to over a minute for all players on the server.

Additionally, regardless of the view distance setting, grids are not visible until about 3.5km on a dedicated server.

Recreation steps:
    1. Create a dedicated server
    2. Set the view distance to 10km
    3. Have 3 or 4 players login to the server
    3. Spawn several grids at one location on the map for each player
    4. Go beyond 10km from where the grids were spawned
    5. Spawn in a ship to fly to the location where the first set of grids were spawned in while the other players are viewing their grids

There should be a major delay in rendering the grids into view and the grids won't render until about 3.5km

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. XkyDiver

XkyDiver Apprentice Engineer

Accessing one of these slowed grids in the Terminal seems to reduce Sim Speed further, from .6~.7 when viewed down to .2~.3 while in the Terminal.

3. UncleCletus

UncleCletus Trainee Engineer

I am getting this on our dedicated server too. Are you using any mods?

4. XkyDiver

No mods. Extremely frustrating, because the slowdown could not be replicated by loading the world in single player.

We ended up just starting a new world. :/

5. Kobayashimaru350

Kobayashimaru350 Trainee Engineer

We've been having the same issue. No mods used but when coming into range of a ship (roughly 4000 blocks) sim speed slows to a crawl for about a minute for everyone on the server. The period of time that the sim speed is slowed seems to be proportional to the size of the grid.

Did starting a new world fix the issue or did it start happening again once a larger grid was built?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  6. XkyDiver

Will let you know when we get there. :) All seems well thus far, but we've been distracted by other games/projects.

7. Kevin03YZFR1

I've started a new dedicated server. The problem is not as bad as it once was on my old server that was upgraded along the way. The grid render lag can still be reproduced once there are more grids in the world. Will provide an update once the game progresses a little further.

8. Zeipet

Zeipet Trainee Engineer

I agree, we also have sim speed drop on private and nitrado server in Multiplayer.
    We have this issue with two grids (500-900 Blocks) .
    Fly with Jetpack 5km away and back => Sim Speed drop
    Come back to base with any ship at 100m/s => Speed drop

Reference: https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/low-sim-speed-space-engineers-lagging.7398899/#post-1287081222

wishes Peter

9. Zhiila

Zhiila Tester Staff

Hi,

can someone upload a world with sim speed drop and shortly describe me where to spawn and where to go to reproduce it?

Thank you!

10. XkyDiver

Hi Zhiila, here is a link to the world we are encountering the bug with:

( edited out link )

I was unable to reproduce the bug when loading the world Single Player; it seems to be a Dedicated Server bug.

Head to GPS {X:1975241 Y:861575 Z:7735987} which should put you very near a small clump of refineries on an asteroid. The SIM Speed on the server should be 1.00 or normal as you fly around the grid. However, once you access the Inventory tab of the grid, the SIM Speed should drop as low as .2, and will remain that way as long as you have the Inventory tab of your Terminal open. Switching to a different tab (i.e. GPS or Comms) will return the SIM Speed to normal. Switching to the Inventory tab will impact the SIM Speed again.

With more than one person in the world, the SIM Speed drops from 1.0 down to ~0.6. Having either player access the Inventory of the grid impacts the SIM Speed even further.

Please let me know when you have downloaded the file, so I can edit the link out of my post. :) Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  11. Zhiila

Zhiila Tester Staff

Hi, thanks for the map.

I already tried it by myself, and I didn't notice any permanent sim speed drop. We will need to test it in the office after holidays with more people to see what's happening there.

Also this doesn't seem to be exactly same case as on the top of the thread:
    so if anyone wants to share his world where are problems with grid rendering and slow sim speed, you can still post it here. :)

Thank you, and happy holidays.

12. phyloym

phyloym Trainee Engineer

Hey guys,
    any news here yet? We have the same problem on our ds but sim speed drops to about 0.02. I tested it in singleplayer and it worked fine.
    Thanks
    Edit: I can invite any tester to test in on the server directly so the behaviour can be seen.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  13. Kevin03YZFR1

I believe it also has something to do with the total block count in the world as the sim speed drop is not noticeable with lower block counts however, the 3.5km grid render distance on DS is always an issue regardless of the view distance setting.

What is your total world block count? Also, is your server a new build from 185.0 or has it been upgraded across major SE updates along the way?

14. phyloym

phyloym Trainee Engineer

The total Block number is about 59.000 but most of them are three large pirate bases with around 11k each.
    The block count of player bases is 3.5k, 3k, 2k, and our nomad with a 690 block ship, I can try deleting pirate bases and see what happens but I don't believe it will be a massive rise in sim speed, since the game runs smoothly either when the station grid is loaded or when everyone is out in space.

Edit: the server is not a week old
    Edit 2: I removed 2 large pirate bases, the problem still occurs, so the total block count is probably not responsible.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  15. Zhiila

Zhiila Tester Staff

We are still looking in into it. There are also some similar issues we are currently working on so if you have some world with a huge sim speed drop, please share it here with some additional instructions how to induce it.

Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.