1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

No Survival Test discussion? Can't find any!

Discussion in 'General' started by Leadfootslim, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Leadfootslim

Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

The SE subreddit is lit up like a Christmas tree, but its crickets here. What gives?

2. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Nope they are too busy playing away to post about it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sarekh

Sarekh Senior Engineer

Because the subreddit actually is curated by active people, the KSH representatives tend to answer questions there as opposed to here and in general all the oldfolks have moved off the forum?

And that reminds me that I gotta sign up for Reddit for the SE section ^^

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mojomann71

Reddit just seems cheesy to me..never been a fan. :)

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. zachusaman

zachusaman Trainee Engineer

Lot of people aren't interested in making ANOTHER account on ANOTHER forum just for a single game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

Lot of people aren't interested in posting bug reports for the same bugs that have been present for ****ing years either...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. zDeveloper10

zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

I feel like I've been out of the loop for a while in terms of posts about upcoming updates here. it's like they just suddenly withdrew one day and never returned, leaving it cold and quiet- somehow even more so than when they were regularly releasing updates. and now there's a string of "teaser" posts on Steam. which kind of feels like a "oh yeah,we've got to pretend to keep a community. but we'll do it in a very detached way"

edit: Xocliw is streaming something atm though so there's that.

8. WraithLeader1

WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

I've already uploaded my first design.... He he....

Progression is really slow, but I don't mind the grind. Ores are scarce, Haven't found Iron or Ice yet...
    I know, I know, you get iron from stone... But I like to build Massive ships and that would be too much mining of stone.

My small grid ore detector wasn't picking up the cobalt I was mining... Hummmm...

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You must tell yourself, "Do not try and find the loop; that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no loop. Then you will see it is not the loop you find, it is only yourself."

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

I'll just leave this here.

Apparently it's the front page of the internet which I always thought was funny because I thought Google.com is in most cases.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Burstar

Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Angry Joe reviews Space Engineers?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

No he did not, the following is what's actually in the video.

madden 19
    monster energy motocross
    immortals unchained
    extinction
    agony
    dynasty warriors 9
    metal gear survival
    the culling 2
    crying is not enough
    fallout 76
    the quiet man

13. Burstar

Aye, but honestly how long after you click play does it take for you to be sure he isn't talking about SE?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Harlequin Otterdog

Harlequin Otterdog Trainee Engineer

I'll have to catch the next test, but it seems that I've finally fixed the error with my rx 570 that was making SE crash the drivers upon world load. Think I flashed the wrong factory default bios to it when I got the card from ebay. :carlton:

15. mojomann71

• Like Like x 1
  16. Burstar

2015 hahah. Of particular note is the 'Updates every Thursday' and 'coming to Xbox One' in the description. Ah the good old days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

Finally getting around to watch the livestream and this new scenario where you have to defend against drones sounds really cool.

[​IMG]

18. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

I guess no one sees the point in discussing it as it was very short term, non "cannon" features/setups, and nothing done in the beta test can be repeated, nor is repeatable, as the next test, and finalized update will have very different things. It was a test run only.

Ultimately, any discussions of this test would amount to "and this one time, at Band Camp..." -that really has nothing to do with anything.. in the past, near future, or even update/release. It simply wont apply.

But this one Time- in Beta testing- I found a way to get around the "no spawnship farming anymore" mechanic to spawn in another pod nearby the first one, to pool their free resources into a viable ship:

Now, see: being able to do it in this test- or even talking about it... has no meaning or point. Its not like that anymore, and it will probably get identified and corrected by the very next test release- so will never be relevant again.

Its like listening to grandpa tell his old stories... only he is delusional, and is telling stories that never happened. Thats all that we would look like.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If Keen can build a few of their own "games" that are interesting, satisfying, and enjoyable to "play with friends" then that would be a nice milestone. The caveat would be that they'd have to do it with the same tools as the users have. Even Marek said it's like Lego In Space. Well the Lego set often would come with instructions on how to build two or three cool things then you were on your own. If the game engine has that same style of functionality, I think the community would probably start building with it. The easier the basic toolbox is to use then the more content that will be built.

20. odizzido

odizzido Junior Engineer

The hydrogen engine is cool. I am looking forward to modding hydrogen to require and produce realistic power.

21. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

Soooo... It was a test test?

22. odizzido

odizzido Junior Engineer

So I finally got a couple hours to play and I will post my thoughts before I head to bed. The game is pretty much exactly the same as it was. There is now a minor new engineering challenge at the start where you try to find out the best way to get started but that is over extremely quickly and you're left with no new challenges minus the scenario(s) which do look fun and I look forward to trying them when I have some time.

I do like the changes, I think they're good. I disable the tech tree since I feel it just puts barriers on creativity, but I do think it's good for new players and a lot of people wanted one so I am happy it's in even if it's not something I personally would use(thank you for making it optional). I also like that they made power something to consider in your designs, at least at the start.

One thing that kinda sucks is that the survival kit's refining and production speed is your limiting factor but you cannot build more because you cannot make the parts required. If there were a non-medical version available that would allow us to get started much more quickly.

Anyways I hope at some point there are some good engineering challenges introduced. Either through scenarios or through making mining for certain resources more difficult(too cold so batteries don't work, or deadly radiation, or heat issues for ships, or really high gravity, whatever). Or making pressurised areas useful and oxygen rare so that you have to consider air management. There are a lot of options which have been talked about already so I won't go on anymore than this.

23. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

@odizzido The entire point of the SKIT is that you're supposed to use that to build better factory systems. It's restricted on purpose, especially since it's a spawning point as well. You're not supposed to have many of them. It's an emergency system, not a full-on factory device. It doesn't take long to create a basic assembler and refinery, with which your production will increase a lot.

The "progress" system, I've already stated my opinion of that. I don't get it, even for a new user it's more in the way than anything, there's no teaching and there's definitely no gameplay - although I will admit that the new method will at the very least help with the too common block overload syndrome. But that's it.

24. Hyomoto

Hyomoto Apprentice Engineer

I've been happy to enjoy the new content, but I think it's largely because from a content perspective the game has been in a drought for two years. Having a large number of new blocks filling in a few of the gaps, new power generation sources, and some overhaul to how you acquire things adds quite a bit for me. As far as the new stuff, I think the progression tree is fine. I chose the planetary system moon spawn. I found the tree to work in a reasonably logical order: when I didn't really have the materials to build the more advanced stuff, I have to deal with certain power issues, etc... so the progression is reasonably tied to what I've ended up having to do anyways. There are some nodes that should be moved around: why do I have to build a hydrogen tank before I can build a hydrogen engine, for example, but I think with some more refinement it will help newer players, and add a tinge of progression for players who need some. Even the stone starting point is a bit interesting. Most of my iron at this point came from a drone that crashed nearby I was able to salvage, and I hooked up a drilling rig to the front of the starting rover to dig straight into the wall of a crater to give me protection from meteor storms and enemies alike. It was nice feeling like my excavation was tied to my progression: I needed the stone. Digging out a tunnel is something I normally wouldn't pursue, but all things considered it felt like a safe way to get started. The survival kit is kind of a strange block, it fits in well enough, and as a small, low-tech convenience it's quite nice.

Some complaints, the new hydrogen engine burns at idle a bit faster than it should, in my opinion, I'd assume a full tank should be able to idle for a hour at least. And for the love of everything wonderful, we got small batteries that start with a charge (thank you, thank you, thank you), can we PLEASE finally get some other oxygen and hydrogen tank sizes? Also, there is a bug(?) that is absolutely murderous: if you turn off a small grid, you know, to save power, it gets cleaned up(?) if you travel too far away. I'm fairly sure that's intentional but seriously: what the hell? I makes the Y key somewhat dangerous considering if you actually turn something off it might get thrown away. It really shouldn't need to be said, but that's not a good thing, ever.

Still, it's nice to see CONTENT for SE. Even without the gameplay changes, though I appreciate them as well, at it's core SE is about blocks that do things. Adding blocks that do things is a part of the game that has been egregiously neglected.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. Thrak

Thrak Junior Engineer

Finally got a chance to look at the new update. I did not mess around with the progression system, since I have no doubt it will continue to evolve. Firsthand impression, just scrolling through the tree (and there actually is a tree now, so progress!) is... okay.

There seem to have been some adjustments in PCU.

I like the idea of the new blocks. Beyond a start, I see the survival kit as a handy backup to have in the part of a big ship least likely to blow up. Looks like they're adjusting component make-up for some blocks... solars now take 32 solar cells, instead of 64.

The most striking thing, for me, is that the game looks even better. The new asteroid textures are nice up close and at a distance. Ore deposits are no longer "cartoonish" in color. Well done, there.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.