1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

How to cure the "now what" 's

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Calaban, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

We've all been there. Landed on Earth, got to space, flew to the moon, built a moon base, flew to mars, built a monolith on olympus mons for lols, Stacked up 2 raiding stations to make it look like an old tv Battlestar Galactica Base Star, blew it all to a billion pieces in the Great Merge Block Disaster, flew to alien world, hunted waskilly Wabbits.. er.. spiders, built a Sabiroid Park zoo there. Flew back to space, made a buggy to powerslide off the ice dunes of the alien moons Ice, then, after all of that, found yourself saying

"Ok, well NOW what?!"

I have a solution!

Its simple. Place all the tools from your backpack into a container, turn off all the lights and antennas, then kill yourself.

No seriously! Respawn. Actually respawn in a Lander. Start over. Same world though.

Your next playthrough can be treated simply as a new world, only now there are interesting things to find out there. Rinse and repeat every time you reach burnout- or, if practicing multiplayer world start up routines, re lander every time you die in a crash.

You'll be surprised how big of a smile you will get when you find the wreckage that ice buggy, that refinery stack full of plat ingots, That embarrassing failed hydro rocket launch debris. Those familiar canyons, and nuke crater mining pits visible from orbit.

Best part is- you can always respawn in your previous stuff, if you like.

It may be a little schizophrenic, but you could also restart as a solar only tree hugger one time, a raving pirate another dozen times, A madman placing LCDs displaying Dr Who quotes in garish colors saying such things as as
    another time, and then set their ownerships accordingly before Moving On-

-ever upward.. Headward-free to rise-Headward, Free to rise- so that a great head may eat you and sneeze out a better baby. [dangit I need season 4 R&M already]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I’ve done all of that...exactly!!! Everything you’ve said!!! And I’ve also said, “Now what several times...?”

That’s why I’ve been trying to come up with new and interesting survival scenarios. But I’m also dabbling with some new ship builds. I can’t ever seem to say, “I’m done,” and walk away from SE.

• Like Like x 1
  3. May Rears

May Rears Apprentice Engineer

I manage to avoid the "what nows" by not falling into the trap of building a ship that can do everything or trying to stay away from the tradional configurations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

And sometimes just taking a break from the game for a few days to a week then coming back to it can breath new life into the game for you. :)

5. Spaceman Spiff

IRL I’m a mechanical engineer, so my builds tend to look at the engineering requirements first and foremost, i.e., designed to meet the functional requirements (e.g., is it a dual-purpose build (planet and space)?, is it a cargo ship?, is it a battle ship?, is it a mining ship?...that sort of thing). I place aesthetics behind functional requirements, so my ships don’t win any beauty contests. Lately, however, I’ve been trying to tap into the “form” side of my brain and create builds that have some level of aesthetic appeal. I know there’s a balance, but I have yet to find it. Also, I tend toward “vanilla” builds, and that tends to limit the level of beauty that can be applied. I’ll kick out my latest vanilla build, Talisker by the Sea, pretty soon and see how it fares.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mojomann71

Last few days on the forums is really got me wanting to play again like I did in the old days. I can honestly say at this point I haven't launched SE at all this year....lol (only 8 days into the new year, but still there was a time I would not go 1 day without logging in.)

• Like Like x 1
  7. starmindfr

starmindfr Apprentice Engineer

What i am missing in the game in order to "retry" is some sort of narrative storyline, few goals and surprises from time to time ... by now reloading more or less same world and same basic goals will not be enought to push me to play again (and i have done 100% vanilla trip on 3-1-1 from earth to moon and mars - alien few times. Last tried i done is on a server online :

3-1-1 survival, build a base on moon fully airtight will all needed stuffs (factory...) then fly on mars to place new home > Alien planet. Only change to world was the range between each moon / planet, like 1500 then 15.000 kms in order to push to build a real new ship with jumpdrive.

8. mojomann71

@starmindfr with the new survival update, you may enjoy it a bit better, well until you get up to the level of getting your assembler and real refinery going, then it is just back to the old days. But first starting out once the survival update hits will have you working towards the goal with a bit more of a challenge. :)

9. FatsackTony

FatsackTony Trainee Engineer

Yeah, they need to add end game, and increase the content. Whether they do that in Survival or in Space Engineers 2 is to be seen. I'm looking forward to Dual Universe. I just wish this game had some interesting AI factions with voiced characters, a bit of plot, and most importantly uncraftable components for unique blocks/technologies, that you have to trade for/loot. And possibly an economy system built around that.

10. Spaceman Spiff

“'Cause baby there ain't no mountain high enough,
    Ain't no valley low enough,
    Ain't no river wide enough,
    To keep me from getting to you, SE...”

11. Brennan Booth

Brennan Booth Trainee Engineer

I feel what the game really needs is an optional progression story. Like minecraft. Maybe each planet only has a resource that spawns there and you need it to explore further in space. For example.
    So youd start with atmospheric thrusters to get around the planet and then youd build hydrogen ones to get to space then youd need to land on mars to build ion thrusters to travel long distances and then you could fight the pirates for resources in the alien planet to get matterials to build a jump drive.
    And then idk youd get coords to a deep space station that was sort of an end game location with cool stuff you couldnt find elsewhere?

12. Spaceman Spiff

There isn't anything stopping someone from creating that kind of scenario right now, except maybe some scripting talent.

13. WraithLeader1

WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

I've been capturing the exploration ships and updating them...

14. DragonShadow

DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

I want to look forward to Dual Universe, but the sheer percentage of potential players that declare their sole ambition to be piracy/wanton destruction is alarmingly high for a builder like me, lol.

15. Spaceman Spiff

A couple days ago I uploaded a revision to a revised SPRT Raiding Station that optimizes interval and external space and fixes a problem I introduced in the first revision: thruster-induced damage. I, too, enjoy revising existing designs for fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mojomann71

I agree, seems to be way to many that want PvP / Destruction, and the funny thing is some of them that want that also think SE is not realistic enough. If you guys want realism, then you gotta face the facts none of our real life spacecraft have weapons. Well other than being a self contained bomb... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mollymawk

Mollymawk Apprentice Engineer

My 'now what' is hitting the program block. And making scripts... or long timer block chains. Bases and ships can look very static.. i like moving parts. there is always something that needs animating. And often times this can cause the occasional industrial disaster that needs cleaning up and made good.

18. SwissGreek

SwissGreek Trainee Engineer

Yeah, that's my experience on the testserver.
    Landed on earth. Got out of the pod to grab some ice and look around - and got shot down from a ship with some nasty rockets. Yeah, must be the real fun, to shoot new players on the field.
    Second try, same result...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.