1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Style Pack DLC

Discussion in 'General' started by Spaceman Spiff, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Honestly I didn't buy the new DLC for the content. I bought it merely to help out the development of the game.
    If Keen put 0 content in and just asked for a few dollars every few months I would probably chip in also.
    Again the game isn't perfect but somehow it has managed to hold my interest for over 4,000 hours..not sure what spell they coded in the game to do that! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Stardriver907

Stardriver907 Master Engineer

It's those flickering spotlights. GoodAI is programming you to buy DLC.
    It's OK if you know because there's nothing you can do about it.

Although, if you find yourself robbing people to get DLC money you should seek help.

3. captainbladej52

captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

Personally for what we get I think $6 is actually a pretty great deal. I about fell out of my seat after realizing how much we got for the $4 in the decorative DLC. The style pack may not have as much per say as the decorative, but at the same time one could say you technically have 4 sets of blocks to play with. That of course assumes you count each skin as a different set of blocks for cosmetic reasons. So the value really is in the eye of the beholder. I would've liked to see a little more in it, not gonna lie, but I'm not going to complain about $2 extra for what we got. Individually in virtually any other game we would've been paying far far more than what Keen has asked for the DLCs to this point. in SWTOR alone each of the decorative pack blocks would've ran you at least $15 minimum per block, save for possibly the lone toilet block that doesn't include the entire bathroom.

Personally it doesn't bother me to toss a few extra bucks at it because I spend more than that $6 anytime i eat or so on anyways. Not exactly going to make or break me. They get cash, I get some fun trinkets to play with in a game that's already given me well more than my money's worth back in entertainment value. If folks want to buy it they can, if they don't want to buy it they don't have to.

At this point I would love to see this be an excuse for them to introduce an actual Energy Shield block and some sci-fi type blocks. That would be a shut up and take my money moment for me. That's of course a different can of worms entirely but going the DLC route opens the door for some interesting possibilities.

4. zachusaman

zachusaman Trainee Engineer

I remember our debate on mods vs ingame items and I can't help but imagine these style packs being a monkey paw wish situation.
    IMO it would be better in the long run for Space Engineers if they did a DLC and then a free DLC sort of thing, to balance things out and reward players for continued support. I also agree with things such as emotes and skins being delegated to paid DLC status as they require more work to do compared to blocks (apparently) and they aren't as important to the game.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Retractable landing gear, air tight hangar doors in larger sizes. I'd pay $6 for that DLC even if it isn't ground breaking and has been done in the mod world 1000 times over. That doesn't skew any advantage to the DLC player but would be nice to have.

6. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

I don't think that's what they meant. The extra work they spoke of was the block skinning feature, which is more than just simply the replacement of textures, from how I understand it.

7. zachusaman

zachusaman Trainee Engineer

Ok yeah that makes sense, would have to redesign every block to be "skinnable" kind of like painting them. I thought the main effort was getting animations and skins to work compared to a block which is pretty controlled and predictable.

8. mleise

mleise Trainee Engineer

The skinning feature is available without the DLC, so I didn't consider it part of the extra work. But what you say makes sense. It would have been more effort to disable the feature in the UI for non-DLC players than to just put it in the base game together with a giveaway clean texture.

9. DragonShadow

DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Honestly I think the idea of the Style Pack was what drove the development of the texture-swap feature. But if the ENTIRE feature was behind a DLC paywall, rather than say just the specialized textures, imagine the player backlash...

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Netherspark

Netherspark Trainee Engineer

Disappointing that the Style Pack did not get a discount in the Steam sale. I would have bought it if so, but it's just not worth the full price.

11. Commander Rotal

Commander Rotal Master Engineer

As someone who has been quite literally asking for a decorative block DLC i was pretty excited for it. The timing could have been (a lot) better and i take issue(s) with most of the block in the Decorative Block Pack but to quote myself: "You get what you pay for, but you're not paying a lot". It was cheap. I can look past quality issues when i'm not paying an arm and a leg for it and still get something out of it.

The Style Pack is... different. No blocks. No new mechanics (no, i'm not going to count the texture swap-thingy, the MECHANIC for that is vanilla and until the clean armor includes clean GLASS i'm not even considering it a complete feature). I'm not even a fan of paid skins but they don't even include all of the new skins in the pack. The Style Pack does everything wrong the Decorative Block Pack did right, it's incomplete AND it's more expensive. Yes i know. It's less than a decent sized burger. And i did buy it. But i bought it to support the very idea of DLC. I don't LIKE paid DLC. But i'm realist enough to know that Keen isn't going to finish the game for free. When it comes to new blocks (especially useful ones) we're not gonna get any without paying for it. So at least LET me pay for them.
    Skins? Na-ah. I'm strongly Pro-DLC when it comes to Keen but the Style Pack is a day's march's worth of steps in the wrong direction and if the next DLC doesn't actually offer me some juicy content i will join the ranks of the Anti-DLC people. To be perfectly blunt: i consider the Style Pack a rip off of the worst sort. HOPEFULLY just a bad idea on Keen's part but i'm not holding my breath for that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Thrak

Thrak Junior Engineer

I found the fact that they included two new engineer suits in the style pack... curious. It seems contrary to Marek's stated goal, in the debut video for this DLC, of offering different types of DLC to see what people want. It's almost like they didn't think the DLC skins alone would get people to bite, and so they hedged their bets, as it were.

Since Marek and Xoc were actively asking what other kinds of skins people might want, I suspect we'll see more style-esque DLC sooner rather than later.

13. Stardriver907

Might be Keen is trying to find out which type of DLC is more lucrative. Lotta people out there that will pay for skins. It's something they can sell that doesn't affect the game. It'll be interesting to see which did the best.

I'm not surprised they asked for more for the skins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Commander Rotal

Exactly. The Style Pack asks for money but doesn't actually give much of value in return. That's a problem in my opinion.

15. Stardriver907

But, what about the gestures? I dunno, but I might pay if my character could do this: :carlton:

16. Commander Rotal

Oh, don't start me on *those*... Money for animations, really? What's next, 5 bucks for a red dot on the HUD?

17. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I'd pay if my character could do the Curly Shuffle.

18. mojomann71

The following is my own opinion. It is not "calling out" anyone.
    (I know how the forums work and someone out there would feel I am trying to single them out.)

I would pay 4 or 5 bucks for nothing if they just said: "Hey guys if you would like to contribute to further development." The amount of hours I have put into the game makes 4 or 5 bucks into mere pennies in the big scheme of things. To date, I have paid less than what I have for major titles and spent more time in SE than with the major title games who basically didn't offer much depth.

Yes SE is not perfect and has caused me lots of frustration, but I still come back to it.
    No other game I have ever did that.
    They do still have bills and salaries to pay. So if they need more money to make SE into a better product I am for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Stardriver907

No, silly. Of course not.

The dot would have to be animated.

And ...I should get my choice of colors.

(There's no Kappa. Why is there no Kappa?)

20. 4RC

4RC Trainee Engineer

I also pass, I bought first one because of amount of blocks it gives, and they were made well. This one however is not bad, its just less effort from devs for a same price as first dlc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

The Recent economy public test revealed the rather amazing faction stations to really be showcase set pieces of the new blocks of the decoration pack... sure any station built to be amazing would include them, but rather than be all angst and misery, I'm going to find a bright side about it... hmmm...

Oh! may the shiny new decorative contents get into the eyes and mouseclicks of as many new players as possible... by releasing the economy update NOW.

:munch: now who won?

22. Stardriver907

@Calaban you know there's no way the economy update is not coming out, right? I'd just as soon they get it over with so they can concentrate on less thorny things like a hunger mechanic and suit removal.

23. gordon861

gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

Am I the only person that is starting to feel like a frog in a pan and the heat is being ramped up to the boil slowly? All these small cheap DLCs are going to start mounting up soon, it seems like every month another cash grab.

24. mojomann71

They did lower the price of the last 2 skins, if you have a ton of hours invested in the game like I do, total amount of $ invested still averages out to less than a nickel an hour. So it hasn't got to far out of hand......yet.

25. KiTarn

KiTarn Trainee Engineer

Yeah but I bought the Fiber suit in the last week are they going to refund the extra $2 as I got it for $4. Or offer the next gen suit for free as I bought the other one?

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Stardriver907

Yeah. Pretty soon they're going to start charging full price for their game.

Greedy bastards.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  27. chrisb

chrisb Senior Engineer

I'd like more interesting paid content, not just skins.

More blocks perhaps, textures for the blocks, I did like the clean block and the carbon fibre block. I also like the kitchen, bed, lockers etc.
    I don't mind paying for content if the game works correctly, at the mo it seems to be doing that.

Also an engineer in casual ship type uniform (think ST or similar). Sitting in those seats with that pack and helmet on, is getting old. Maybe change at the armoury or med bay into casual evening wear.. You know smoking jacket or whatever, cravat, pipe, slippers..

Another thing that I think would be difficult for them to do, but skybox transition. I know can't be done, but they tried in err.. can't remember the bloody name of the game now (but it worked in a very basic way), block builder, was a free game..
    Anyway, or some way to change skybox in-game.

Nuff said.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.