1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

SE Toolbox dead forever?

Discussion in 'General' started by TenshouYoku, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TenshouYoku

TenshouYoku Apprentice Engineer

Apparently due to the 23/8 economy update, Midspace declared that he couldn't find a way to repair the currently broken SE Toolbox, and thereby declared SE Toolbox is dead forever.

This is both saddening and worrying. For practically every scenario builder or just repairing worlds, SE Toolbox is an invaluable tool in doing things that are impossible or inefficient in-game, and it's apparent permanent death means we will lose such a powerful weapon for eternity. It also means things such as changing armor or in-depth check of items/grids is no longer possible.

Is there a way/plan where we can have an equally useful tool as a replacement so far?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

It just needs somebody with sufficient time, energy and programming skill to take over and update it. There would be a lot of work involved, and there would be little or no reward for it all, other than the thanks and good wishes of the parts of the SE userbase who need and use it.

3. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If it's cheap... like under $10... I wouldn't mind someone else starting from scratch and releasing a similar product in the Steam Store. Granted, they might have to get consent from Keen for usage of some assets.

4. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I really liked SE Toolbox, too. Very, very useful. RIP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thrak

Thrak Junior Engineer

Rexxar has mentioned working on this on the Torch Discord. My impression is that it's some heavy lifting (my phrase) because of the latest changes made by Keen.

6. Spaceman Spiff

I especially liked that I could convent heavy armor to light armor, and vice-versa, as well as many of its other features. I certainly hope someone with the right talents will update this very useful tool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Spaceman Spiff there is a way that you could still do the armor swap using SET, but would probably be time consuming..roll SE back to a version where SET works paste in your ship convert it save the ship/world then update SE to it's current version. Again lots of work but if it was a real need may be the route to take. :)

8. Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, I figured that would be a fix...assuming, of course, that the newer map will even load using the older version... ;)

9. SultonMRP

SultonMRP Trainee Engineer

Do to incompatibility issues with Economy Release, In order to use SE Toolbox with Space Engineers you are required to roll back to version 1.191

In order to roll back, right-click Space Engineers on steam then select Properties then goto BETA Tab and change to 1.191 and press close. Once Steam changes to 1.191 you will need to create a new world as current ones will not be compatible. You can now place your blueprint (any new blocks beyond 1.191 will not be placed). Save the world and exit Space Engineers and start SE Toolbox to do any changes you need to do, since the current installation of Space Engineers is 1.191 SE Toolbox will functions normally.

10. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

You can do a lot with just simple text stream editing tools, search and replace etc.

11. Sirhan Blixt

Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

Yesterday's hotness: SEToolBox
    Today's hotness: Notepad++

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. mojomann71

Nah Note++ been used way to often by people who change one line in a .sbc from another mod and then consider themselves modders. :woot:

13. Spaceman Spiff

Now wait just one doggone minute there, bub! I resemble that remark!!

14. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

Yeah, real modders do that shit with sed and awk. ^.^

• Like Like x 1
  15. mojomann71

@Spaceman Spiff is okay to change it up, but I don't think you go around bragging you are a modder. :)
    I have just seen way to many that wear that hat so to speak.
    I am the same, I have a few things on the workshop that I have tweaked the code a little, I do not claim to be a modder though. ;)

16. Richard Skallabjorn Smith

Richard Skallabjorn Smith Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Might be a lot of free time available to update mods and software in the next month.

18. Spaceman Spiff

Or more...

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

this comment makes me sad.

This is awesome though, it's such a handy tool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mojomann71

I havent had any free time yet, anyone can confirm this version of SET works?
    (Though I am not to thrilled in playing SE much any more, but I have a few fixes I could be able to do for a friend if this does work.)

21. R-TEAM

R-TEAM Junior Engineer

have it installed - and it loads actual server files flawless ......................
    but have not used it realy, appart from loading and browsing the listet objects ... have concerns over this version and stability of my save game ... so i wait a little longer before i realy alter save games with it .... after the stoping of SET updates i have learned to live without it - not all is doable - but atm i get all sortet without it, and so stay on the safe side

22. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

Make a backup of your save file then alter away at them... if anything goes wrong it doesn't matter because you will then have a backup :>

23. R-TEAM

R-TEAM Junior Engineer

have anyway backup function active - so it would be no problem - but cost time , and i see no pressure atm to use SET ....

24. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

It seems this version is struggling just to read my save... it's been not responding for quite a while.

[​IMG]

:c

*edit*

lol the moment I posted this it worked finally :woot:

*edit*

Yep.. this is the most handy tool ever.

Deleted so much scrap metal and bottles just left behind from skirmishes and... an accidental crash into an asteroid haha.

Super thumbs up to the individual who picked this up to develop further.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  25. Spaceman Spiff

But...but you can delete floating objects using {Alt}-{F10} admin controls, so why do it in STB?

26. R-TEAM

R-TEAM Junior Engineer

to clarify .. the difference to doing this in SE direct or in SET is "hugh" ...
    if you select in SE an floating object to deleting > you will be virtual teleportet to this location, the whole engine load all thing around this .. and so one ...
    if you musst doing this with 100 floating objects .. imho the game crash after the 20 or 25 teleporting nightmear .. and you cant select multiple entrys
    so doing this "in" SE direct is realy not designed for this .. (in an emergency it helps ...)
    You can doing this on an server more "relaxed" as here you can connect from outside the server to "the server world" with the server launch app and select multiple objects and delete ..
    Things that are not going with "in hous tool" are replacing of blocks and more special world/grid manipulations ...

27. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

Yes you can. Sort the list in an appropriate way, eg object type, then select the first item, scroll to the last, hold shift and click on that one to select all items between the limits. Same way you would do it in windows explorer or any other program using the common interface methods.

Also in alt-F10 admin screen > trash removal there's s single button to delete all floating objects

28. R-TEAM

R-TEAM Junior Engineer

mhh .... have not tryed it with shift - will try it ...
    trash removal is always off at my world - dont like the available options - delete to much imho - better deleting manual - as my server is not public and nearly all is a precious resource - the amount of trash it generates in an play session is very low ...

29. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

I've always done trash removal on my servers manually because the automatic option has NEVER worked reliably as intended and is STILL responsible for random wanted grids being deleted and other junk remaining in the world...

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

I've never used that before.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.