Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

0.7.1 Problem with foundations and placing items?

Discussion in 'General' started by Farindark, May 20, 2019.

1. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

I have searched for this and not found anything, maybe it's me just not using search properly, or not. */shrug Lately in this current build I have been getting a random problem occurring with foundations and placing items. Single player offline game.

With foundations the problem is this: Seemingly at random timing I cannot add or replace any foundations to existing buildings example, I have a house and decide to change the foundations from wood to stone, on removing the wood foundation it will not let me replace it with a stone one nor put back a wood one into the hole. I can still place foundations singly to start a new grid. See pictures here
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1739569258
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1747633541

With placing items, randomly in timing suddenly an item like a smithy or spinning wheel cannot be placed on a floor instead it "floats" when placed and can be knocked over if bumped into.

I believe for both issues its the same problem, it's like for some reason the existing grids are no longer owned by me. Here's a the previous map where I had the same problem if someone wants to download it and take a look.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1739577354

Is this a currently known bug? Is anyone else seeing this? I thought at first maybe I was turning on or off something with an accidental key press on my keyboard but this happens in new fresh games if I start a new one too. :?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

There is a button that regulates which building mode is selected. "B" or I don't remember. For your first problem I don't have an answer. Maybe it's build mode thing, or maybe some items are overlapping with empty space where you want place block it's hard to tell.

3. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

@Oskar1101 Thanks for the reply trying to help! I can't understand why this is happening randomly every time I roll a new map but it's broken the game. Can't find this happening to anyone else around the net. if I can't add foundations I can't build It's just frustrating the way it happens at a random point on each new map I roll. Guess it's time to find another building game. :(

4. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I upgraded our 6.3 (6.4?) build to 7.1 or maybe it was 7.0 to 7.1 which required, among other things using the new independent Dedicated Server application and I found several Stone blocks were deteriorated somehow. I was falling through them when I know they were well completed when I was in there a year or so ago. A few other things had broken apart like it had been attacked. Our server was set so that it would pause when empty and no one else was able to access it because it was only available on our LAN. I don't know why things were broken apart but it didn't seem to survive the upgrade very well.

I don't think the 7.1 release had the opportunity to go through the bug fix patch sequence Keen normally does after a big release when Deepflame left. So the latest build could have a lot of smoothing to go through before it's stable again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. boromir Apprentice Engineer

While it's true that the 0.7.1 release didn't enjoy as much smoothing as prior updates did, I'm beginning to remember what happened to our castle, and it wasn't the 0.7 upgrade. I'm pretty sure now it was our 6 year old about a year ago. Oops. :-D
    --- Automerge ---
    Ok, correction. 0.7.1 did get a fair amount of smoothing after it was released from February 15 for a week or so. But there's still a few bugs, such as those pointed out by @ibisgrunk on page 3 with his release 0.8.0.0AA000 post in that thread.
    --- Automerge ---
    ...and I think this game is going to make a comeback.

• Like Like x 1
  6. boromir Apprentice Engineer

@Farindark I have also experienced the problem with placing items onto floors. But I've been able to work through the nuances of it. You have to remember you're trying to interface a small grid item with a large grid object. The bottom face of the item must intersect the surface of the large grid object. For example, a timber can be fixed into position by placing it on a block. I've found, while in Medieval Master after several attempts that if you place the item below the surface of the block it'll float. But if you place it within the small grid block adjacent to the surface of the block it will fix. In particular, this placement depends greatly on the position of the crosshair (a tan dot in the middle of the screen) in relation to the placement location and the positioning of the item on, what I'm going to call, the "z-axis" which is controlled by the scroll wheel during placement. I don't know what Keen calls that axis but it's probably on the ME wiki.

In fact, when I was placing a vertical timber on a stone block, I had to aim the crosshair at what appeared to be the very top of the small grid block immediately adjacent to the top surface of the stone block. This was counter-intuitive because I was initially trying to attach the timber directly to the surface (I was aiming at the center of where the two surfaces meet). So I learned I had to place it slightly higher than where I intended. Once I did that, it worked everytime.

If you have your build crosshair disabled, re-enabling it will help with affixing items to large grid objects.

I'll try your large grid block replacement issue next opportunity I have.
    --- Automerge ---
    I tried the large block replacement of a square wooden support with a cubical stone block last night. I removed it from a grid which had adjacent blocks and then was able to successfully place and build the stone block into the same position without any trouble. This was done on a server, so not single player. I can try that too if you like.

7. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

@boromir Uhh well thank you very very much for trying to help with this old post. I do appreciate it! I hadn't played since I posted this but your reply made me go back and start yet another new world and it still has the same problem with the foundations again at a random point. I happily build snapping foundations together than BAM can no longer snap or add new or replacement foundations again as per the world in the workshop I linked in my OP.

I do really miss playing ME but I guess I'll resurface if ever they decide to work on it again. Still enjoy SE though which scratches my building itch. Never did find anything else to play building stuff in, other than Empyrion. Cheers! :)