Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.032.14] [DediSrv] 1. Server Freeze , 2. MedBays doesn't work

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Dehzz, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kienata Staff

@Midspace

I stand by my prior post in that there is some effect with MOVING asteroids, as un-intuitive as it may seem. I cannot nail down specifics as my knowledge of the inner workings of these things is limited in comparison to your own. This confounding issue continues to frustrate me and make life difficult for Horizon members.

What I know; results are inconsistent even in the tests we ran before as med bays may lose effectiveness over time or suddenly function once again seemingly without stimulus. To put this another way, "it doesn't even malfunction correctly or consistently".

I appreciate your energy and expertise in what must be a very busy time for you.

E

2. conor1123 Trainee Engineer

I totally understand, I just wanted to make note that after I started modifying a save file it started acting up is all. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with SEtoolbox.

Yeah, to edit a dedicated server map I just move it to the directory that SEtoolbox is fixed on. (single player stuff) Not sure if there's an easier way to do this without moving the save files :p?

3. midspace Senior Engineer

Yesterdays update of SEToolbox, will work with Dedicated Server save files without having to move them.

4. Dehzz Trainee Engineer

That's good news midspace, I think we all waited for possibility to alter dedi-saves without messing with files. Thanks.
    Btw,sorry for offtopic,but did you think about a possibility to implement a kind of 3d map of the sector? Like in oldschool space sims : a rotatable grid X-Y, with hovering dots ( asteroids, ships, stations ) over and under the grid, with vertical lines from dots to the grid to imagine the Z coordinate. I'm trying to convice my friends who knows java to write something like that but no one is brave enough ;) With the map we could really estabilish kind of economy in our system, trade routes etc, with large distances it seems to be essential.

Ok, I'm starting to test combinations with new/old asteroids, importing/exporting etc. We'll see...I really don't want to loose my save. Won't give up!

5. Dehzz Trainee Engineer

I have some serious feedback guys.

We've just tested following scenario :

- created new game on creative
    - built a medbay for everyone
    - opened as survival
    - tested respawn - it's ok ( in medbays )
    - imported 3 asteroids, some ships and stations from my original main save, changed positions of asteroids to proper ones ( imported at the same position, else than ships and stations which had proper coordinates )
    - destroyed medbay on station in asteroid and rebuilt it = respawn in medbay built on creative
    - destroyed medbay built on creative = respawn in new ship
    Now the revelation
    - Built a medbay on respawn ship, suicide and respawn in that medbay
    but when we flew this respawn ship into a bounding box of any imported asteroid or station ( within its volume ) medbay didn't work ! respawn in new ship .

We discovered also strange thing, when you place a new medbay, it has SteamID of the server instead of a player. Did something change with game mechanics ?

6. Kienata Staff

Dehzz I think you hit the nail on the head.

Great testing, thank you for contributing!

E

7. Dehzz Trainee Engineer

We have another clue.

Medbays don't work in some radius from coordinates 0,0,0 . According to many tests ,it's about 15-16 km . They give you new spawnship. Closer to the center - you respawn in medbay.

It's been tested on old saves and new worlds ,created on fresh dediserver ,unpacked just now.

Anyone confirms?

EDIT :
    Newest tests confirms that the distance is 10 km from coords 0,0,0 . It's the distance from medbay to center, not player to center. If medbay is close to center and player dies >10 km from center, he will respawn in medbay.

Is it known issue to the devs ? Or a limitation given in newest patch ?
    Please fix it..

8. Emachalaiphone Trainee Engineer

I did two desperate tests on our servers and I don't think it's limited to bounding box. Maybe this is a factor but I had movers and they reset at random times can login or out sometimes at medical bay , I never move from a position an same thing happens. It's a cycle cause we can only place one that works remove old break it after it resets from working it will work dropping one again. Tells me server is overwriting something or messing something up after second in list. Very odd bug also this works same tested up to 80k from center

9. Emachalaiphone Trainee Engineer

Hmm i tried logging into game on same account for steam but different laptop not sure if related but seems not to have lost his medical for 9 hours and holding now going look into this more when i return home.

10. Lothaar Trainee Engineer

I thought distance may have been a factor as well. The default med-bay in the starter taxi would work and re-spawn you. When I fly 30 k out to base it no longer works. But if i hang out at starting spawn area long enough it will also stop working.

The longest it worked while in the starting area was 1, 1/2 hour. the shortest was 5-10 min. It however, never worked, once I took it out to my base 30 k away.

So while there may be a temporal cycle component to this issue. Distance and (possibly proximity to certain objects) does seem to effect the med-bay.

I am on a prepatch map for Horizon Worlds that had the asteroids removed to further explore this issue.

11. firstof9 Apprentice Engineer

Base on inspection of the Sandbox file for my map, the SteamIDs are being associated to the initial medbays, however 2nd and 3rd medbays in the respawn ships are getting a SteamID of 0. This makes sense if there is already a medical bay online and associated with a SteamID.

Based on this fact, it's clearly a coding issue in the game that it is for some reason ignoring the initial Medbay already assigned to the SteamID. This is not an issue with SEToolbox, it is clearly an issue with the game coding, very likely a improper IF THEN ELSE statement when the death function is triggered.

Hopefully they can resolve it in a timely fashion.

12. Doogie Howitzer Trainee Engineer

firstOf9 is correct that some logic error is occurring in the base code. It seems to be regarding the pre-1.032 save files.

I have been experiencing the medbay non functioning problem in both offline, online and dedicated games.

I ran some tests outlined below:

Test #1: I loaded a brand new Easy start map, offline mode, survival.
    I suicided and re-spawned at the medbay on the platform. I blew up the medbay and suicided again, this time re-spawning in a starter ship, suicided again for good measure. re-spawned in the same starter ship at the medbay.

Test #2: firstOf9 and I were debating whether SEToolbox was the culprit. I saved the EasyStart map I had run Test #1 on, made some changed to the save by deleting a ship or two, adding an object or two. I saved the changes to the save file and loaded it back up. Ran a series of suicide tests with existing and new medbays, no problems re-spawning at them.

Test #3: I figured the problem was the old save files which I think was mentioned previously in this thread (was too lazy to read all of this). I loaded up a few different save files pre-1.032, medbays were not functioning with repeated suicide tests.

While not a scientific examination of all possibilities, it seems there is something in the game logic that is causing the medbay problem in pre-1.032 save files.

13. Dehzz Trainee Engineer

Have you tried to fly away from platforms? Just set coordinates of platform to 0,0,0 in SET to have good idea of the distance from the center.
    Go in ship with your medbay, make suicide at 9000m and then on 10500 m . I wonder how will your conclusions look like because your'e really talking with sense here.

My thoughts exactly - it has to be something with some kind of new file formatting

14. Doogie Howitzer Trainee Engineer

Update: Previous tests were in offline mode. Started new map save on dedicated. Medbays fail. Started a map as non dedicated game. Medbays fail. Tried with various hosts. Fail each time.

Old map theory is incorrect, the problem breaking medbays is somewhere in the multiplayer netcode. Once the save is hosted online in either form, something in the save causes the medbays to continuously fail. Even when the file is saved and loaded in offline mode, the medbay failure continues.

Given fresh maps have working medbays in offline but fresh maps that have been hosted in multiplayer and then saved, then loaded into offline have the same problem, I'm guessing there is a logic error in the multiplayer code that is being saved. Possibly a formatting error as previously mentioned.

15. Doogie Howitzer Trainee Engineer

No I haven't tried with various distances. I will though, good thinking.

16. Doogie Howitzer Trainee Engineer

Ran further tests, results here: http://forums.keenswh.com/post/01-032-018-dedicated-not-respawning-at-medbay-6924559?pid=1283006894#post1283006894

17. Osho Trainee Engineer

The medbay situation needs to be fixed. Game is currently broken to the point of being unplayable

18. Lothaar Trainee Engineer

Still doing medbay testing with regards to range from center and time.

Prepatch save form 29th with asteroids removed. Moving 10-11k from center does seem to negate the medbay. Still have had no medbay that works longer than 2 hours regardless of movement.

19. Phand Master Engineer

Hi,

this should be fixed in next patch. Please let me know, if this problem persists after next patch.

20. emachala Trainee Engineer

will this be an end of the day hotfix patch if the daily fixes, or a end of the week full patch? Just wondering cause i can re arrange my world for longterm survival with low medical range...

21. Zenethian Trainee Engineer

PLEASE push this as a hotfix. It's made our game utterly unplayable!

22. emachala Trainee Engineer

23. Dehzz Trainee Engineer

Just let them do the factions guys...

We generated temporary map with 20 asteroids in 8 km radius, small resources, custom spawnship , so there are real mining wars because everything is scarce, there is action, zero boredom and everyone is relatively happy... in waiting for thursday and return to our main universe/save.
    We are human, in theory we can adapt ;) just try. Every reason to excersise skills is good.

24. Phand Master Engineer

Hi,

I will ask if this can be hot-fixed, but since normal patch day is near, it will probably be released in normal patch instead (that is my experience).

25. emachala Trainee Engineer

my server is adapting had to delete 359 starter ships cause medical are not working so good :p

26. Doogie Howitzer Trainee Engineer

No.

27. emachala Trainee Engineer

agreed, Doog, im not changing anything. already its absurd, with all these ships clumping to tiny area... i had to clump asteroids for time being just to keep people spawning in range of medical...

factions are you kidding, we need basic functionality first.

To be honest.

I think adding factions will be no change... whats to keep people from changing all the times to grief.

I would rather them fix these annoying buys that equal no game play or crashing bugs...

Then i like save and kill object console command...

Then give me a console command so Admin's can assign a faction to a player.

Its not a faction if anyone can join and leave on a click.

before we put more features that can and will break accord to Murphy law, its better to have other bugs fixed.
    Not fixing bugs can cause they to work into a corner... should not add more features when others are pretty much 100% not working.

another example is people say dedicated server save every 5 min... well my saves are 3 min, 10 min even had a 30 min... so these small things need to get it first.

I know you want factions, but i don't think we are ready

28. Doogie Howitzer Trainee Engineer

It's like that game risk. If you just keep invading countries, your forces will be spread too thin to hold anything. You need to stop, fortify the countries you have with additional troops until their secure, then keep pushing forward.

Lately there seems to be a major bug introduced with each new feature they add. Remember that major memory leak from the last patches? Now it's medbays and whatever else that happens to be broken with this last patch. They need to stop importing new features for a patch or two to focus on bug fixes and optimization so the game remains playable. I was playing this game daily until that memory leak issue. I couldn't play with that bug. It did eventually get fixed and I was excited for that. I was back in game for a matter of days before medbays were broke and haven't been able to play since.

29. Dehzz Trainee Engineer

Unplayable was the bug with crashing cockpits. Memory leak wasn't so hard in gameplay, we managed to end our 12,000,000 kg mothership and others. You seem to talk like you're forced to play or something :) Guys, it's just a game. I'm trying to rather appreciate the devs hard work than whine all the time. It's alpha, it's normal thing that game is like it is.
    It is for me and my friends the best thing in SE that updates are so frequent and that they're so major, so big-gameplay-changers. It gives thrills when thursday comes so don't demotivate them, please.
    Factions will allow to fully defend our selves from intruders, to use interior turrets on enemies not on every moving thing, it will make game more complete in a big way. Just use your imagination. And I try not to believe that the system will be like pressing a button, click to join or drop . I hope that devs will make it in their way - more realistic. Like radio devices, frequencies or some faction blocks etc. I belive it will be more complicated than you think. Just don't be so pesimistic. They gave us a piece of great work and it can be only better. Cheers

30. firstof9 Apprentice Engineer

It's not a whine, adding new features introduces new bugs in ANY code, thing is they need to smash these bugs prior to adding in additional "shiney". If they don't the it will only make it THAT much harder to fix as the code will have expanded greatly by then. Any programmer worth a pickle will tell you the same.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.