Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

01.046 Sensors - Detect Station Blocks and Rock/Ore + Senor Range goes to '0' - For Robotics

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by spacedMatt, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. spacedMatt Apprentice Engineer

The new sensors are great but I if they had a little more capability we could do so much more with them.

At the moment they only detect objects in their area that can move, but if they could detect stationery objects that aren't attached, we could then develop simple auto flight and robotics.

Also to make this more possible the sensor range lowest would have to be around 1cm not 1m to stop two sensors triggering at once on small drones.

Great Patchmas really hope you can include this!

2. Trevish Apprentice Engineer

Yes please, was just trying this and figured that problem out the hard way.

3. spacedMatt Apprentice Engineer

Parking sensors, ship to station proximity detonation missiles, auto mining drones that stop once bored through an asteroid, auto station/satellite avoidance system, robots, more robots, self righting satellites, manual set orbit radius is just a few more things I can think of.

Plus I think it would be great if the sensors could sense up to 300m-500m so you could use it on large ships to make them automatically stop or divert if an asteroid is in the path, plus making useful warning lights that give you more notice than 50m. But maybe taking up a lot more power for the privilege.

4. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, really could go with better detection, including terrain (asteroids) and as SpacedMatt said, range!
    Also, reduced power requirements, they are insane.
    A large ship sensor will consume kilowatts of power (up to 38 or so)
    Today, a consumer grade motion sensor with a range of ~12M consumes about 0.75 watts, one would assume that technology will be more efficient in 2077 :p

5. spacedMatt Apprentice Engineer

Yeah I think it should be really low power the shorter the distance and a lot more power for really long distances around 300-500m, because I'm guessing you would have to be doing some major calculations to determine the different objects at that distance.

This has to get done, we could do so much more with sensors, I think we should get this campaign started :D .

6. spacedMatt Apprentice Engineer

Bump.... and wot :p

7. DocMop Junior Engineer

8. LethalOwl Trainee Engineer

+1 for sensor range and more capabilities!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.