Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.053] [Large drills] [Lag]

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Royco_nl, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Royco_nl Trainee Engineer

As of 01.053 large drills seems to cause a lot more lag than they used to. one of my miners with about 30 drills now slows the game down to a point where I can't even enter the menu anymore to close it, used to run fine in the previous version.

2. Yojinko Trainee Engineer

Same issue here. Game is brought to a grinding halt, running 41 drills here. Never had this issue before the latest patch.

3. ComradeDomovoi Trainee Engineer

Small drills with the same exact issue, a nice miner with 40 drills nothing before brings the game down to basically 0 FPS and goes into quasi lock up mode before continuing 20 seconds later.

4. Kuu Lightwing Senior Engineer

A screenshot to prove:

[​IMG]

UPS: 3
    Simulation Speed: 0.03

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  5. lord-boo Trainee Engineer

hey guys, i was happy... for just some minutes... some days ago... i started building a miner, large ship and i wanted to make it much more sick than the miner of my m8.... it went a lil too sick... 255 drills :sneaky:

i never expexted them to work but for about 10 seconds or maybe a minute it lagged into the asteroid in the last version, before the client freezed and i need to reconnect.... still i took out about 2-3 million ressources out of an asteroid.... then patchday... wanted to give it a try... my ship went basically much slower BUT no freeze... checking inventory after ages of drilling... almost nothing x.x its a step in the wrong direction with this patch and when i read what people posted... i dont have such small miners :bawl: please fix it :)

(here's my ship ^^ i dont want to post a full hd pic in bug report section :D http://s14.directupload.net/images/141023/o2czcwny.png )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  6. shadow250 Apprentice Engineer

i agree with the above mining lag is much worse now.

7. Xakthos Apprentice Engineer

Yeah I so much as touch an asteroid and the system grinds to a halt. My rig normally can take just about anything without lag but this is instantly frozen. Definitely when the rocks start wanting to fly around.

8. Morilibus Apprentice Engineer

Confirmed. Was testing a mining ship last night that has about 50 large drills. Was working without issue until I updated today to 01.053.013 and notice if all the drills are in contact with an asteroid it would freeze the game completely, requiring to force close the application. If only some of the drills are in contact with the asteroid the game stutters frequently but doesn't completely freeze.

9. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I'm playing on my single player world and I had a large drill ship automatically going through an asteroid last time I saved.. which was yesterday.

And after the new update today I loaded up my world and was met with 1 frame every 15 seconds.

I've had to use SE Toolbox just to delete my drill ship so I can load my world again.

So yes.. CONFIRMED.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  10. demolish50 Senior Engineer

11. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Didn't freeze the client, but heavy lag occured. I have 126 drills onto a large ship, and mining 2 layers of stone brought only 40k.

12. lord-boo Trainee Engineer

even just 5x5 (25 drills) large mining ship stops after just a few mm... standing with the front in the asteroid saying he is moving but he isn`t and the cargo does not increase and some cargo stays in the drills for a bunch of lagging time :)

so my worst mining train ship is the only one still working... 7 small ship drills with 10 large containers behind. sad times for miners

13. lord-boo Trainee Engineer

*push*

hardest bug i encountered. dont need groups, dont need volume control, but need my ships to work properly

so my drill cap is somewhere between 20 and 25 large ship drills. took of 5 drills from my 25 drill ship and it worked - until i destroyed it :crazy:

14. henkbein Apprentice Engineer

[01.053.013 64 bit Win7 Single Player]
    Tested with 49 drills and confirmed.
    -Drilling goes well for several seconds.
    -Then game slows down to near halt.
    -Switching off drills will eventually restore game speed.

15. fevfev Apprentice Engineer

Call me simple but could they not fix this problem by making it so ore does not spawn when you mine with large and small drills till they find a fix.........ofc hand drills would have to spawn ore still

16. lord-boo Trainee Engineer

i would like to h#know what keen says about this idea :)
    i am not sure if it would solve the problem because i can put tons of objects into the air without having such problems, but maybe it would help (if its ab option and not taking ages of programming)

17. fevfev Apprentice Engineer

well they did the same fix as my mod did for rockets and that was simple :p. but the lag could be due to the astaroids new state being updated if thats the case no easy fix..

18. fevfev Apprentice Engineer

been doing some testing could not get the sim speed you got, but i am running the ds from my other pc but when i put 80 drills on a ship it did crash the server and the last thing to load was sounds in the log files.

19. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

When the last update came out my little 15 large drills ship was causing major lag on the server. It would just kind of blink on and off as I used the drills. Which makes mining kind of usless, lucky no one on my server runs over 20 drills at once so we didn't crash the server just made it unplayable while when drills are used.

I also noted that the number of floating object my drill made was way higher then I had it set on our server. I'm guessing the update reset the count on it's own. I'm not sure if this is causing the lag problem but it can't be helping it.

They really need to fix this one fast, cause it's hard to play on a survival DS and not be able to mine.

20. fevfev Apprentice Engineer

OK after a lot of testing the update has broke something. my test server and any other server i try if I use 20 drills or even just 10 the server can not keeps up and freezes, you can still move about but get the message of no connection till the server catches up meaning you can not mine any more. seems to be linked to asteroid trying to update there state ingame to the server coz it happens if you mine or right click (not mining just nuking the asteroid.

21. elch Apprentice Engineer

Weekend is almost here, i just hope this gets fixed ( worked around ) in the hotfix.

22. Coreinsanity Apprentice Engineer

Yeah I just activated my large drill ship, which only has 26 large drills, and it brought the game to it's knees. Game froze until I let up on drilling, then it pulled out of it.

Edit: So my small one just did the same thing... It only has around 9 drills.

It's basically impossible to drill. Period. This needs a hotfix or something, not a week wait, assuming they can track it down.

23. Xakthos Apprentice Engineer

Yeah even after the hotfix the drill system is causing it to lag out. Not as instantly as it was but still is turning to freeze. One way to quickly replicate is to use the M.O.L.E 1.1 or Mk2 (both exhibit issue) from the workshop, put it up to an asteroid and let it start drilling. Prior to the 1.0.53 patches it worked awesomely. Nice and smooth. Now it touches the asteroid, drills a tiny bit and everything just goes into never never land.

24. Pasta Trainee Engineer

Confirmed. Small miners seem to be ok still.

25. elch Apprentice Engineer

I'll test it when i get home.
    Question: Has anyone tried to test the drilling with floating objects set to zero?

26. Bose_Motile Trainee Engineer

Want to bump this with my post on Reddit about this same issue.

Imgur post of ship

27. Xakthos Apprentice Engineer

16 is as low as the slider goes in the interface. I tried at max, default and 16 (min). Each died a lag death at equivalent locations of operation.

28. fevfev Apprentice Engineer

The problem is with sound bugging out and the asteroid state updating not floating objects ;)

29. Rewl Trainee Engineer

server goes in overload when drilling with big drills :(

30. LankyThumbs Trainee Engineer

Getting the same since last week's patch. Was using a ship with 63 drills before with no lag (unless I stepped outside to watch). Now a second ship with only 49 drills and the game's framerate grinds to a halt.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.