Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.124.007][SP][64bit] (SharpDX.SharpDXException: HRESULT: [0x8007000E]) Memory Leak?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Aurex, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Hello. I've been facing this issue since the last hotfix: every time I load a previous savegame or create a new one, the game sends me back to the desktop with the following message. "Application error occured. This problem is caused by limited memory on your system. In case you're still using 32-bit operating system, upgrade is strongly recommended. Please see minimum requirements at http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/system-requirements.html".

I have this exact problem on two different rigs, both of them superior to the recommended specs, a 8gb ram machine and a 16gb one. So the problem has to be with the game, I could play quite fine (fps aside) before the hotfix. Oh, and memory usage before launching the game is almost non-existant.

2. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Were they complicated builds or moving parts heavy (rotors/pistons that sort of thing)? Are you using a 32bit system?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Nope. I have tried loading at least 12 different savegames, all of them from two different worlds at vastly different stage of, well, build-up. Some are just me and my lander, others feature some rotors and pistons (locked at the time of the save). And I'm running the 64bit version of Windows 8.1, with all the latest updates.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Prescott Freyd Senior Engineer

Hello!

Thank you for the report. I would probably recommend trying to reinstall the game, verifying the cache etc. Also, does the issue occur when running a new game and loading that?

Regards,
    PF

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Hi, thanks for answering. I tried to verify the cache just this morning, it did re-download some... 30mb, don't know exactly why or if that's normal, but the game kept behaving the same way. The only way I managed to get it running without the memory error was by creating a new save game (creative mode, this time) in a completely empty world... and after building some stuff in it (pretty big stuff too, some 8 to 10 pistons and rotors working on a large grid, 1.200 tonnes) I could load the world without any issues. All my previous survival savegames and the new ones I made from scratch are still refusing to load without crashing the game. I'll try to reinstall the game to see if that helps, will keep you posted!

6. Aurex Trainee Engineer

A little update. I think I figured out what is causing these issues. While playing in an almost empty survival world I turned all the graphical options to "high", just to check how many fps I'd lose - doing this immediately caused the game to crash with the same error message. I then turned everything to low, disabling everything I could including v-sync, and I could play normally again, I could even load most (not all) of the previous savegames aswell. It might have something to do with an abnormal usage of the videocard vram, but it's just a guess.

7. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Hmm. What video card do you have? How much VRAM has it?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Used to have an MSI gtx980, although she recently died (while playing Space Engineers...) and I'm now on my backup, a Sapphire R9 270x. So, 2gb of Vram. I think that's still better than the video cards on the recommended system requirements. (I have better fps with this one than with the gtx980, curiously enough...)

9. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Another little update, just in case it might be helpful. It is the vram usage that's somehow causing these issues, as I've been successfully loading every savegame, even the most "crowded" ones, with no problems whatsoever... I just had to turn every single graphic option to low and set view distance to 7km. This has been happening since the last hotfix, so... maybe something broke along the way? I even tried to reinstall the game, this time on a SSD, same problem happened with anything but the lowest setting.

10. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Only a shot into the blue:
    Please download both from Nvidia & AMD the driver cleaners. After uninstalling every driver, start both cleaners, then re-install the latest AMD drivers for your R9 270x.

I have the feeling you have some remnants of drivers, which leads to the crashes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Will try doing that tomorrow, see if it fixes the problem. Even though I always use the cleaner before installing a new set of drivers, still, worth a try!

12. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Especially, you've changed from Nvidia to AMD (complete driver change). Please let us know! :)

PS: I hope MSI or your dealer exchange the broken GTX980. As I consider, a mate had also problems with a high-end Nvidia card (GTX 970 AFAIK) he needed to exchange. My old AMD Radeon HD 7970 (also MSI) with 3 GB VRAM still works...

13. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Hey, yet another update. Tried a couple things. First was installing steam+SE on a fresh install of windows 8.1, same pc, different hard disk... and the same issue showed up as soon as I tried using any filter or upping any graphic quality setting. It did crash a couple times even when everything was on low. Cleaned and reinstalled video drivers/audio drivers on the main drive, even used an usb audio card just for the sake of it... game keeps crashing with the same out of memory message. Curiously enough, it doesn't crash if game is on directx 9 with no planets. Running out of options here :/

14. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Is it possible to test another Graphic card, e.g. from a mate?

From what you tell, it feels like your card is broken, too. :( Random or irrational errors normally are an indicator for broken (V)RAM.

Maybe there's a cooling problem inside your computer case. I had a lot of problems with cooling since I found my ultimate case & cooling solution (no water cooling! ;) ).

You may use GPU-Z to watch the GPU temperature. Since your R9 is newer than my 7970, it should be no problem for the little program to read these sensors out.

Unfortunately, Sapphire's site is unable to reach for me at the moment, but this card definitively should support DX11 (I read something about DX11.2), so this have to be ruled out as a possible reason for your problem.

HTH

15. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Yep, card should totally support everything up to directx 11.2, or so it says on the box. I do not believe the card is faulty, though, I mean... I can play fallout4 on high @1080p for 6 hours straight without even getting close to 60 degrees celsius and without any artifacts or issues of any sort. Same goes for Phantom Pain, Witcher 3, Warframe and so on. I'll try to convince a friend to lend me his "old" gtx980 before trying anything else. Can't guarantee he'll get it back, though :D.

16. Kham Apprentice Engineer

What people tend to forget, is voxel based games are always far more demanding on the GPU than most other types of game. I run an MSI GTX 970 and have most of my settings on low just so planetary FPS doesn't drop to unplayable speeds without melting my GPU. But I play most other games at 1080p with settings maxed out and a very stable 60 FPS and an under control temp.

However, my brother runs the R9 270x like you're running now and neither of us have had any issues loading worlds up. He actually runs higher settings than I do as he prefers the better look even with an FPS hit. Could you maybe send a world link to one of the worlds you're having issues with just so others could test it on a similar setup to see if we run into the same issues?

17. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Well, I didn't exactly forget that. It's just that for me anything under 20fps is unplayable. I've heard from people that have lower specs than I that they're actually able to play with higher settings without having such low fps, and it just seems a little bit off. Plus, crashing with an almost empty world with a pop-up redirecting me to the system requirements page when my system has higher specs than the recommended ones... it's just not something you would like to see. I'll gladly share my latest world (that won't load at all since I've added a fourth refinery to the old atmospheric lander, same out of memory error, and that's with low graphical settings) if I can... should I put it on the workshop, or are there other ways to do that?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kham Apprentice Engineer

I totally agree with you, it does seem odd that you're getting these issues even though you more than meet the specs.
    The workshop option is by far the easiest, but if you'd prefer you could zip the save and upload it to somewhere like dropbox and then send a link.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Aurex Trainee Engineer

I'll do that as soon as I'm home!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

With that card, high settings + 8GB of system ram shouldn't be causing an out of memory crash.

I manage to play fine with 8GB of system ram and a 1GB HD 7850 for graphics. My system ram hits 99% usage while the game loads (every time), but it drops to 90% about 1/2 through through loading. Then once its loaded it drops back to 75 - 80%.

I have texture quality and voxel quality set to "High" too. Shadow quality is set to low.

The only reason my RAM fills while on high textures, is because the game/DX11 API can't fit them all into VRAM, so they're paged into system RAM (which hurts the FPS a bit, but hey).

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that other players with beefier rigs are having this issue too. Some have mentioned 16 and 32GB RAM being filled. A few have had 4GB VRAM graphics cards too.

If there's a memory leak, no amount of RAM will prevent it from eventually crashing.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  21. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Yeah, it seemed strange when the game started to crash like that. I have had many problems with the games before, from exploding connectors, raging pistons and countless other smaller issues, but nothing gamebreaking like this. Something to do with the way the engine manages texture caching, perhaps?

Oh, by the way, here's the world if anyone's interested. Only way I can load this successfully is by taking every single graphical setting to low and forcing the videocard drivers on their "performance" setting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmwhcyfo6zua3nm/Star System X7.7z?dl=0

Aaaand, while I'm at it, here's a screenshot of the error message.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydov2k88nyu0og8/MemorySE.png?dl=0

(Quite new at sharing files using dropbox. Please let me know if they are not accessible or anything)

22. Kham Apprentice Engineer

I have just successfully loaded into your world. I'm next to the "Lander" and have maxed out all graphics settings for testing purposes. I'm getting a stable 60FPS whilst in space and RAM usage hasn't exceeded 6GB (average 5GB). VRAM usage is currently pretty high at around 3.5GB but that's normal with such high quality settings.

I was hoping it wouldn't work in some ways, as that would imply a game fault. Though the fact it did kind of implies a hardware issue on your end. Do you have a full .log file from when you've tried loading the world to see if the log file sheds any more light on the issue than just the crash report?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Thanks for checking, and this surely is somewhat disturbing. Can exclude drivers problem since this is a fresh install with no conflicts whatsoever... and the Ram is not faulty, tested it just the other day. This is the last log saved, the crash surely has something to do with the renderer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xggdcy5yzc9jp4p/SpaceEngineers.log?dl=0

24. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Yeah it's a pretty odd one. You may want to alter the title of your thread to include the exception reported in the log (SharpDX.SharpDXException: HRESULT: [0x8007000E]) in the hopes it'll catch the Dev's eye.

25. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Thanks, I'll do that. Hope someone spots it, might be one of those bugs that are difficult to spot... or crush.

26. Kham Apprentice Engineer

I hope so man. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help, but if I do find anything else related I'll let you know.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Nonsense, you've been of great help! I'll try to do some test on my hardware and drivers in the meantime, maybe I'll be able to understand the source of this... uhm, whatever this is :)

• Like Like x 1
  28. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

How did you test your RAM? Started Memtest86 from CD and let it run one night, leaving absolutely no errors? That's the only way I do, if I have a suspicion that something goes wrong.

Anyway, I miss temperature (sensor) data from GPU-Z. Are you absolutely sure you don't have any heat accumulation in your case? You may leave it open for testing.

Just tested your world, too. I had about 50-70% GPU load and fps from 30-60 (with VSYNC active) -- no crash. I drilled shortly into the next asteroide and inspected your ships.

If you want to test your Graphics card, you can use Furmark. Normally, any modern GPU should decrease performance if the temperature reaches critical levels, but there's a warning that it could damage it, especially elder versions without such protections. It definitively will max out your GPU's heat, so use it wisely!

Another good test for proper system work is Prime95. If that runs well for hours without any errors, then CPU & RAM are OK and calculating correctly.

I'm pretty sure that there's a problem in your hardware, because you're using a totally fresh operating system. To monitor the CPU's temperature, you can use Core Temp. To investigate CPU specs, CPU-Z is a good one.

29. Aurex Trainee Engineer

I used memtest86, let it run 6 hours or so last night and tried the windows 8 memory diagnostic, no errors. As for temperatures, the case housing the hardware I built myself, it's very, very efficient - thermally speaking. The cpu is water cooled, will never ever go over the 40C threshold. Supplied by gold rated 700w psu. Very good air flow aswell and 6 120mm fans. As for the GPU, I let it run at full load for almost three hours on 3dmark using the cloud gate benchmark. I highly doubt it has any real issue since it survived that without issues :). Still have prime95 around somewhere, will try it later, just in case. Ah, used HWmonitor for the CPU temps. My guess it's there might be nothing wrong on my hardware per se, but I can't be 100% sure.

30. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Oh well...I see that you're pretty good prepared with hardware tasks. :) It took me YEARS to find out the right way of cooling, but since then...well. Never had any issues that way, right with air cooling only. ATX is a rather dumb standard for "cooling"...

You said you're cooling the CPU with water cooling. Did you make sure that the voltage transformers around it are cooled by air, too? Just to make it sure. That's one of the main problems that come along with water cooling.

Please let me know about results of Prime95. I found out with my old Core2Duo that my RAM was too good for the board -> its timing was faster than the controller could work with, which lead to RAM errors. Newer CPUs handle the RAM itself, so this error shouldn't occour any more...hopefully.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.