Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.124.007][SP][64bit] (SharpDX.SharpDXException: HRESULT: [0x8007000E]) Memory Leak?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Aurex, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kham Apprentice Engineer

To be honest, after looking through your log and doing a lot of googling, I don't think it's a hardware fault. It does seem to be a renderer issue, from the log it looks like the issue happens right as it should be removing the load screen. The problem there is, the Devs have a limited variety of tech to test things on which can make it hard to track down.
    A couple of other things to try, which I hadn't thought of earlier.
    Set to windowed mode rather than full-screen windowed mode.
    Turn off save game compression.
    Try reverting your GPU drivers to an older version (I've had many an instance where the latest drivers for my card have made certain games unplayable).

You may have already tried some or all of those, so if you have then just ignore haha. Your issue just has me perplexed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Oh yes, ATX sometimes feels like it's made to cause air flow issues :). As for the cooling, I have an external 120mm radiator with a quite good heat management for the cpu, while I have 2 120mm fans to take care of the other "hot" parts of the mainboard. I found some time to use prime95 last night and it came up clean. I remember one of my old pcs having the same problem you describe, the ram was actually too fast for the motherboard's fsb, and it was a core2duo as well, an e7500 if I remember correctly.

3. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Tried everything but reverting to a previous version of the gpu drivers. I'll try as soon as I can spare some time :)

4. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Haha no problem. I've just sent my brother a message to ask what driver he's using as I know he doesn't update his GPU driver very often and it's the same card which he hasn't had any issues with. He does have a different mobo and CPU setup though, but worth checking eh. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Hey, yet another update. Tried with old drivers I had laying around, up to mid-2015 drivers, no success. Problem still shows its ugly head everytime I load any savegame where anything more than a very small grid with no pistons/rotors is present. Planet-less worlds running both on directx9 and 11 work fine with stellar performance... I'll have to stick with those until problem is fixed or a workaround is found :/

6. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Sorry you had no luck with it man. Sadly, I have seen a lot of reports about AMD issues with Planets. It just seems odd that it's not consistent with all GPUs of the same type. My brother did eventually get back to me to say he was using driver version 15.7 which, judging from that site, was released mid 2015 so it's probably the same driver you tried. We should start a kickstarter to buy the devs a better range of hardware to test on haha.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Heh, I'd gladly donate an euro or so if they promise to buy me a brand new Nvidia card - just kidding! Seriously though, it's a very annoying issue, and everytime I happen to have some spare time something like this happens. Last time it was the "ghost voxels" on meteorites, a couple of months before planets. Still hoping they will at least acknowledge the issue, even better if they actively start to work on it.

By the way, last drivers I tried were the 15.7 so yes, exactly the same ones. It seems like they are mostly focusing their efforts toward Nvidia hardware, and that's quite sad since AMD accounts for almost a half of the gaming "population".

8. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

I'd never buy Nvidia the next years since they cheated on specs. And, my AMD Radeon HD 7970 runs very fine, with no problems. It's an MSI version, if someone's interesting. Just poked around today what's new, but the best cards are actually Nvidia, and the best AMD cards are not far away from the one I have, so I have no reason to upgrade. ;-)

Just a silly thought:
    What DirectX level did you install?

Normally, Steam games install required DirectX versions on their own if not present on the system, but I don't lay my hand into the fire that Keen defined prerequisites like this.

My DirectX version is DX11 from 10-06, filename: directx_Jun2010_redist.exe

[CTRL+V doesn't work in this forum, had to use right mouse button -> insert...weird]

Here's the link:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

This is a standard installation I do on my systems if I re-install Windows 7.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aurex Trainee Engineer

One of the first things I did after reinstalling the ati driver was to snatch the last version of the directx redistributable from the microsoft page and install it, just checked to be sure and it's the same you have. Reinstalled it anyway, game keeps crashing under the same circumstances. Was worth a try, though, thanks!

As for Nvidia, I was mostly joking about that... and just because I've read that SE and a couple other games I've recently bought have better performance with nvidia cards. I've had extremely bad experiences with those cards in the past though - a gtx660 giving up the ghosts after a year and a half and a 7900gs that died way before its time. That said, last two ati cards I had showed glaring issues that I still cannot believe allowed them to leave the drawing board. My asus 4870hd for example, while a great piece of hardware performance-wise, went to 80C everytime I put it under stress (in a very well cooled case)... causing many issues. It had serious driver problems aswell, and even with the custom cooling I installed on it (went from 80C to 56C under full load) it died in exactly 6 months. Couldn't RMA the damn card because I somehow voided the warranty by installing a custom cooling system. Planned obsolescence is an insidious thing.

10. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Now I'm running out of ideas, leaving only one which came into my head right now:
    Software.

As setting up computers like we do, normally each other has a routine of how installing an OS, or what bunch of software "needs" to be installed.

My idea is:
    Only install a fresh OS (I recommend Windows 7, but any newer should do, too) and update all necessary patches as well as drivers. Then, apply DirectX11 and install Steam with Space Engineers -- nothing more, and then test. Escpecially those "Internet Security" things are a pesky piece of Bloatware. Also, viruscan software can corrupt installations. And I recommend to work the built-in administrator account which is normally inactive. It has the highest rights and should not crash against any security issues, as the normal user has to run everything as an admin what doesn't want to work. The problem here is Windows itself with its internal structure. Since I only do work with this account, I never had any strange software behaviours any more.

A mate of mine had also problems with an Nvidia GTX 980. He bought it rather early when it was on the market, and it got grilled. Fortunately, he didn't alter the hardware and got it replaced by his vendor.

In the past, the last problem I had with AMD, formerly ATI, was with a 9700 Pro. I had my case open, up to 11 fans (not including the one from the PSU), to keep it as cool as possible, but its VRAM died later. In an online forum, I got asked why my card was still running, showing up general teething troubles with those cards. Then, I bought Nvidia, and when I had some money to buy something cool, I went to AMD because they could control more than two screens. Nvidia could only manage two at that time. It was not a bad choice, and of what I'm reading here, I must be a really lucky one. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Aurex Trainee Engineer

That was the same iter I followed the other day, a fresh installation of windows 8.1, all updates, directx, videocard drivers, usb audio codecs for my external audio card and steam+SE. Problem kept appearing no matter what I did, unfortunately. On a more funny (not that funny, pretty infuriating from my point of view) note, since today's patch no savegame will load no matter what my graphical settings are... so, whatever it was (and is) is getting worse update after update. Totally out of options now, I will just put SE on the "shelf" for a couple of weeks and see if something changes :/

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  12. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Hmm. I have Cloud Synchronization turned off in SE. What's your setting? Is it active? If yes, please try to turn it off & reload SE from scratch and make sure there're no files remaining.

If I have another idea, I'll let you know. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Didn't even know there was a cloud sync in space engineers! I just tried to turn it off, but there were no files in it (showed 0 bytes) and it seems like the game is still crashing. Hey, it was worth a try though :D, thanks for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MacPlatters Trainee Engineer

Loaded your world on my computer, afraid it worked flawlessly, even when I turned it up to high graphics.

My Specs:
    i7 2600k
    760GTX 4gigs VRAM (358.50 Drivers)
    16gigs RAM
    Windows 7 Home 64-bit SP1 (All up-to-date)
    Installed (Windows and SE) on a Samsung 840 Pro with only 24gigs free space left

At main menu, SE is using ~962mb (it's fluctuating, I assume because of the video background?)
    Loading your game, it climbs to 3,692mb with Medium GFX and 90 FOV.
    Switching the GFX to high and still at 90 FOV, the ram usage climbs to 8,022mb...
    For giggles, switching to low resulted in RAM usage of 3,176mb.

Screenshot of world in-game on high:

VRAM usage is 1,929mb on medium, 4018mb on high, based off GPU-Z

Going by the log file and posts, I gathered your specs are:
    i5-3570k @ 3.4ghz
    MSI Z77A-G43 Motherboard
    Sapphire R9 270x
    8gigs ? RAM

-As your testing has already proven that the downgrading of your video drivers didn't fix the issue, I would recommend upgrading them back to the newest.
    -Comparing log files, I noticed it says you're not admin (UAC enabled? Non-Admin Account?). My experience with gaming has shown a lot of games don't work as intended if they don't have admin privileges.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Wow, you must have spent quite a lot of time just to lend me a hand, thanks, it's much appreciated. Yes, the specs are correct, even if my CPU is currently running @4.2 (might have been back to factory normal when I took that savegame, since it was one of the first things I tried... overclocking has put me in trouble before) and the ram fluctuates between 8 and 16 since I use a ramdisk from time to time. This baffles me, I mean... this is the only game amongst hundreds that gives me such headaches concerning memory. Another strange thing is the non-admin account... hadn't noticed that before. I will check that issue tomorrow, as soon as I have some time to spare, but I was the only one to operate this pc and I installed everything myself, as I always do. The plot thickens...

16. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Please enable & use the built-in admin account, like I stated before. In Computer management console, look at System -> Local User and Groups -> User. I inactivated the guest account and enabled the administrator one. It sure is not a bad idea to create an additional user with admin privileges if something goes wrong.

You should leave the fingers from overclocking. This can corrupt everything and speed up artificial aging of components. This is the reason why I have ECC RAM and a Server CPU (Xeon 1270v2) including a workstation board (Asus P8B-X). For those few percent points of additional performance, the price of an inconsistent system is (for me!) too high. Please be aware that installing the operating system on an overclocked system can permanently lead to unforeseen consequences (Half-Life, eh? ^^).

Decrease the RAM Disk to 4 GB. What for do you need 8 GB?

And, yes, Space Engineers needs very much RAM. Once I drilled, it consumed 8 GB.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Just done that, don't really know what kind of software might have switched me to a non-admin account. I had checked before and it was still the regular admin only account. Recently installed a copier, had to mess around the user settings and something might have gone wrong back then, not sure though. Kind of new to windows 8.1, would love to go back to XP but that's not possible, I fear :(. I mostly switch to the ramdisk when I use the pc for simple browsing and everyday light use, and to spare my new shiny ssd all the wear and tear. Oh, and... I borrowed 4 sticks of ram from a friend today, for a grand total of 64 gb. I will install them tonight and see if it's a ram issue. Thanks for all the help, it's appreciated :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. MacPlatters Trainee Engineer

Just an FYI, using an admin account doesn't mean software gets admin privileges. Starting with Vista, Windows has included UAC, but you may know it better as the popup that shows up every time you try to install software. Basically, with UAC enabled (which I believe it is by default), programs won't get admin-level access to the system without requesting it. I'm not even sure that's what the problem is (I don't have a Win8 computer to test), just making mention of it.

The popup I'm talking about looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I believe you can provide Space Engineers itself with admin-level privledges by going into the install folder (in your case, G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers\Bin64), right-clicking SpaceEngineers.exe and choosing properties, going under the compatibility tab, then choosing "Run this program as an administrator". Click OK and try to run it again through steam. If it still fails, your log should at least show IsAdmin: True in the log now.

Of course, I don't know if this will help you, merely troubleshooting. If it doesn't work, I would of course set the changes back to how they were.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mattes Trainee Engineer

Another thing you could try as it just popped into my mind, is to check your hard drive for fragmentation errors using chkdsk (run cmd console as admin, then type chkdsk /f and answer with yes the restart your computer ) or whatever other software you use to do so.
    Might help, yet no promises.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Ah, yes, I get it now - silly me. It's running on administrator privileges already, from what I can tell. Can't explain that log, though. Oh, and the ssd I run SE is brand new, and I checked it for errors using samsung software, it's working properly... as far as I can tell :). Must have spent ten to twelve hours trying to pinpoint the problem, my best guess: misallocation of textures or multiple instance of the same ones being loaded/saved during the caching process. Some kind of memory leak is the result, apparently. Again, I may be quite knowledgeable when it comes to hardware (yeah, sure!), but quite ignorant when it comes to coding and compiling stuff, so take it with a pinch of salt. Again, thanks for the help. Not giving up on this one, since it is stopping me from playing completely.

21. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

This is incorrect referring to the built-in adminstrator account. This is not the same as a standard account with administrator privileges:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/3-Ways-to-Enable-Administrator-Account-in-Windows-/

Every program started as built-in admin gets elevated to its rights, UAC is disabled under this account. Just think of it as a standard XP admin user without the annoying do you really want to execute this program message -- and to make sure it never has less privileges.

I can tell because I'm using it for years on several computers now. ;-)

EDIT:
    Fragmentation is irrelevant on an SSD since modern Windows OS handles them different than hard disks. I recommend not to defragment it, because it a) makes no difference on speed b) nor to the file system and c) it can artificial age the flash cells. Just leave it as it is. Windows makes most settings useful and correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Mattes Trainee Engineer

Hey!
    This Thread seems to be related, and it was solved just yesterday!
    http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/game-crashes-while-loading.7381439/#post-1286954759
    Apparently, after crashing the persons PC, it works like a charm.

best wishes of luck

• Like Like x 1
  23. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Hi, thanks for answering, just tried clearing out the shadercache folder - didn't work, unfortunately. Must admit I was quite optimistic when I checked out the topic you pointed out. "Yey, this is the exact same issue I'm having! Oh wait, it didn't work" :D. Still have to try with the borrowed ram I have... will let you know.

24. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Aurex: Is there any progress you can tell us? Or did you finally retire from Space Engineers?

25. Aurex Trainee Engineer

Yep, there was some sort of... progress. Since this last patch, not only the game keeps crashing in the same way as before - now I can't even save properly, the game telling me that "working on this world any longer may result in a loss of progress". I lost a good 5-6 hours of survival progress since the savegame did really become corrupt and cannot be loaded. The whole issue has even gotten slightly worse in other ways, for example... I cannot even alt+tab or browse the internet while my refineries pump out ingots because the game will just run out of memory. Did any test conceivable and turned out everything's working fine. So... well, forced retirement for now :/

26. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

There is really something wrong with your system.

I'm sorry to say that, but even if Space Engineers is utilized, I still can use the rest of my system such as browsers etc.. Even changing desktops with VirtuaWin doesn't cause any troubles! The only thing I remember what can cause this behaviour is that Windows does page RAM onto the Hard Disk/pagefile.sys location. Heavy Disk Operations mainly cause lag (having a heavy copying routine in the background can even cause Winamp streaming to fail). Remove your TEMP RAM Drive, and point the TEMP directories to you hard drive, eg. C:\TEMP. Test it, and watch SE's RAM utilization carefully. Sysinternal's Process Explorer is the first to replace standard's Windows Task manager. I recommend using most performance settings:
    http://kb.xploretech.com/KnowledgebaseArticle10738.aspx

In addition, if you're unpatient, the system may occour non-respondable while swapping. Using DiskLED -- https://helgeklein.com/blog/2009/11...-system-performance-with-the-new-diskled-1-1/ -- and configure it to "Logic Drive -> Time (%) -> _Total" will give you a total status of how your drives are utilized in your system tray -- only if your Hard Disk LED isn't in your sight already (Desktop case onto your desktop, but tower underneath it?).

Watch your HDD LED.
    :-(

It couldn't let me sleep @ night/having some ideas on the toilet what could optimize my system.

If you have any progress, please let us know.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Aurex Trainee Engineer

I will make some further attempts and certainly keep you posted, but I really did everything I could to verify the "good working order" of my pc. There is nothing, not even a single other software/game that has given me such headaches since dune 2000. And that was back in... 1998? For example, running Arma3 (and that game is quite a resource hog) even allows me to alt-tab out if it with a 89% cpu, 85% ram load without breaking a sweat... I even watched interstellar in 1080p while doing so. Yet SE crashes with a ram usage around 75%... I really can't understand what the problem might be. The free memory is there, the game just seems to hate me with the intensity of a thousand suns. I will try what you suggested tomorrow, will be a problem with the led though since my 850 evo doesn't have one :). Sad/funny thing is this is the first week in months I actually have a lot of spare time on my hand and was really looking forward to some spacebuilding.

... on the fly edit, there are others with the same issue I'm having :/ http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/game-still-crashes.7381513/#post-1286956734

Thanks for all the help! :)

28. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

What CPU do you have?

The only thing I know that it's water cooled (and the rest air-cooled).

Well, ArmA3 I don't know, but ArmA2 can outtake my GPU very well, too. There, I also do not have any problems, even if tasks such as videos are running in the background.

29. Aurex Trainee Engineer

An I-5 3570k. Has served me well, keeps doing his job even if it's a tad old.

30. MacPlatters Trainee Engineer

Well, that is unfortunate. I was hoping someone could figure this out for you. Could you post/upload a new log file? The last one I've seen still shows an out-of-date video driver and I'm not sure what version you have now. Could you also post/upload your VRageRender-DirectX11.log file? If nothing else, it may help a developer later on get to the bottom of it. Also, did you ever get the game to run with an admin account like vangrunz suggested?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.