Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.127] [DS] Massive Server sim speed drop from previous version

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Kham, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Prior to the .127 patch our DS server sim speed was usually between 0.7 and a solid 1. After the patch it's now hovering between a 0.1 and 0.3 with just one person on it! That's a huge performance hit and it means the server takes forever to catch up with things you're doing. Even taking my helmet off in space I can hang around for 10 seconds before the server does any damage, then another 10 seconds for the next damage.

Here's a full log file from the server.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. demolish50 Senior Engineer

I can confirm this. SSS is significantly worse after 127.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. EnderStarwalker Trainee Engineer

Its not just dedicated, my single player game is getting severe sim speed drops as well. As well severe stuttering.

Getting this error, not sure if it has anything to do with this problem. Constant spam in the log.

Thread: 1 -> Rigid body at address 0000000024CFBA20 is a complex MOPP/bvtree shape (more than 100 children)
    and has motion type other than fixed.
    Note that this can cause a significant performance loss.
    Consider simplifying the shape representation.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  4. Kham Apprentice Engineer

We have similar reports in our logs. I've now been on the server, just standing still for an hour and the server sim speed still hasn't gone about 0.3 which is nuts.

5. Verayon Trainee Engineer

having the same problem!

6. Verayon Trainee Engineer

Until last night, I was playing on my map (creative) with a large ship (30k blocks) and simulation server speed was 1 and my FPS about 13... today when I opened the game and load the same map, my simulation speed range 0.05 to 1... I can no longer work on the project of my ship anymore... my hardware remains the same , apparently there was no SE update, i've tried to restart, re-create the map, cut and paste the ship, but no change ... before this, the game was " playable " and now it was impossible to finish my project... !

( If I turn off the power of the ship, the simulation speed back to 1, but before that , the speed of my server was 1 with the power on , [ many lights / conveyors / refinery / assemblers / tanks and more] )

7. demolish50 Senior Engineer

Umm, yes there was an update, what are you talking about.

8. nateman2000 Trainee Engineer

Yeah I was pretty comfortable at about 0.7 to 1.0 server sim speed last night. Today after the update, the server sim speed is going crazy. Ranging all the way from 0.05 to 0.85. The real kicker is that it won't stay stable for any longer than 2 seconds. It severely interrupts moving because the max speed is relative to the server sim speed and it keeps rising and dropping all the way down to the bottom...thus killing acceleration every second or two. Not to mention the timing of a variety of systems that rely on server sim speed.

9. Saint Mark Trainee Engineer

On server startup my DS will stay at 93-100% CPU for about 9-12 mins with the RAM going up to 13.8GB.
    The log files are still filling up at a rate of a bit over 1MB per min.
    The SIM is has gone down by .1-.2 points.
    I wish they would host a DS to see for themselves how the updates are killing the DS community game play and how hard it is on the admins to keep the servers running. I understand these guys work hard for us, but I would rather have them work hard on fixing the stability than give us new sounds for the helmet and other niceties. As the old saying goes "you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig". I mean no disrespect to any of KEEN staff as I fully appreciate them taking time to interact with us, give us weekly updates, and continued support. I love the game and the community around it, but at times we all get a bit frustrated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. eumel1990 Trainee Engineer

Same issue on my lokal game. since 1.127 the sim speed is something between 0.7 and 1.0. This problem occurs only on my savegame. If I launch a new game the sim speed is constantly 1.0.
    The System is an i7-6700k on z170 chipset and 16 Gb of ram.

11. Prescott Freyd Senior Engineer

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the report. I'd just like to assure you that during our testing we spend a lot of time both in Singleplayer and Multiplayer games. During our testing we didn't notice any significant decrease of the simulation speed on the new version of the game. I'll check the issue you're describing :)

Regards,
    PF

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. nateman2000 Trainee Engineer

If you are interested in a performance heavy world that has been suffering from this, here is a zip https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByFyBRd6hvC6UnUweXZ3LS0tN1U/view?usp=sharing

It's a save from earlier today. Labeled corrupted because it would throw error with SEClientExtender.dll enabled in launch options but it actually loads as normal without it. Would be a great candidate to figure out some of the performance bugs but I have some mods so it doesn't qualify for the request for performance heavy vanilla worlds.

13. Prescott Freyd Senior Engineer

Another question. Does this SS drop occur also on worlds with no mods?

PF

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. nateman2000 Trainee Engineer

Indeed a valid question, but what to focus on is that world was working fantastic. I had cleaned up and optimized many thorns in the design and was getting better than ever server sim speeds. A very consistent .85 to 1.0. With the exact same world, exact same objects, exact same mods...then the 127 update drops and I restart the server and all hell breaks loose. The server sim speed hasn't stayed consistent whatsoever today. Not just a tiny drop or hiccup...constantly every few seconds from .85/.90 to .05 in half a second. I'm also experiencing the inventory stacking bug I noticed detailed earlier.

I understand mods add in variables but I just don't want that to be the fallback when the timing indicates the recent update is the main factor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Verayon Trainee Engineer

Yes, my world has no mods and i have the same problem

16. Shagatan Trainee Engineer

Having this same problem I did some testing, and it appears that cause of this performance drop is related to powered blocks with inventory space.

On my computer a grid with nothing but large reactor and 500 conveyors runs just fine. but a grid with large reactor and 500 small cargo containers drops the sim speed way down.

17. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

@Prescott Freyd

I'm running a server without any refineries and few assemblers. My sim speed didn't drop. It's also running a 240km wide planet and a lot of crashed ships. I'm still hitting server sim speeds of 1.0. If I had to guess, I would think that the sim speed drop was due to issues with the cargo system and production. The cargo system is still a little off: sorting inventory inside of containers doesn't work well and inventory still disappears requiring a log off and log back in to the server.

I'd definitely start with the cargo/production system changes to track this down imho.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

Can confirm that this happens both with and without mods. Part of the slowdown DOES seem to have to do with refineries and other conveyor-using blocks; the sim speed appears to tank (as low as 0.15 in my case) every time a refinery pulls ore or pushes ingots. The other part of the slowdown appears to be related to the log file spam and whatever's causing it, which is detailed in another bug.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kham Apprentice Engineer

I agree with this. Our world does use a lot of mods (around 130 if memory serves) so yes, disabling them all may show a slight increase in Sim Speed because ships would become un-powered hulks with no thrusters and half built conveyor systems etc. But before the 127 patch, with all those mods active, our server sim speed was pretty stable at 'acceptable' levels for this game. Since the patch, it is not. I still haven't seen it pick up above 0.3 which for us is pretty unheard of these days. We only usually see it drop that low for brief periods if someone is logging in next to a large station or if you've just jumped to a large station a few hundred Km away. Then it would recover quickly once everything had loaded.

Whilst we had no refineries or assemblers running like the others have mentioned, we did have oxygen generators running which were processing a few million ice we had collected before the patch.

20. EnderStarwalker Trainee Engineer

I have found clearing the shader cache seems to largely fix the sim speed anyway on single player at least, but still getting the log file spam.

21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

What's in the log spam file? I see some cautions when loading certain third party mods. Also, I think some of the prefabs are outdated and not responsive. Perhaps they are generating errors trying to be reloaded over and over?

22. demolish50 Senior Engineer

not fixed by hotfix

23. Sombreigne Trainee Engineer

I got the same problem since 126. The simulation speed is awful and I can't play anymore.

I have tried to resolve the problem :
    - Simulation speed between 0.05 and 0.7 : play in creative to remove ships, and it was my starport which was at the origin of the problem. I have disconnected every ship connected, and it was better (0.7 up to 1).
    - Yesterday after the patch 127 => between 0.05 and 0.15...

24. EnderStarwalker Trainee Engineer

Ronin, Take a look at the log at the start of the post. Not sure how many have been fixed by the hotfix.

25. Sombreigne Trainee Engineer

I got the same problem since 126. The simulation speed is awful and I can't play anymore.

I have tried to resolve the problem :
    - Simulation speed between 0.05 and 0.7 : play in creative to remove ships, and it was my starport which was at the origin of the problem. I have disconnected every ship connected, and it was better (0.7 up to 1).
    - Yesterday after the patch 127 => between 0.05 and 0.15...

26. EnderStarwalker Trainee Engineer

2016-03-25 11:32:17.433 - Thread: 1 -> hkpBoxShape passed a NONPOSITIVE-valued extent
    2016-03-25 11:32:17.692 - Thread: 1 -> Rigid body at address 00000000233611E0 is a complex MOPP/bvtree shape (more than 100 children)
    and has motion type other than fixed.
    Note that this can cause a significant performance loss.
    Consider simplifying the shape representation.
    2016-03-25 11:32:17.699 - Thread: 1 -> Do not call setLinearVelocity on a fixed object(hkpFixedRigidMotion)
    2016-03-25 11:32:17.699 - Thread: 1 -> Do not call setAngularVelocity on a fixed object(hkpFixedRigidMotion)
    2016-03-25 11:35:38.881 - Thread: 1 -> Cannot calculate mass properties with zero mass or less.
    2016-03-25 11:35:38.881 - Thread: 1 -> Cannot calculate mass properties with zero mass or less.

Still Occuring post hotfix.

27. Raideur Trainee Engineer

Bump. This is a major issue that affects all servers. Still gathering what data I can.

28. nateman2000 Trainee Engineer

I also can confirm that this issue is still happening after the hotfix. Unfortunately now I average 0.23 server sim speed with the drops every few seconds down to the 0.05 area.

I noticed some interesting differences in the server log that aren't in previous logs are Reference count error on object 0000000038FA0160 with ref count of 1 in addReference. (or 0) and different object numbers. These are random but happen in succession usually in a very short time down to a few milliseconds. Much like this example for the other error down here but not nearly as many entries. They aren't consistent in how many consecutive events happen like this example below.

2016-03-25 16:40:28.842 - Thread: 6 -> Saving world - START
    2016-03-25 16:40:28.842 - Thread: 6 -> Making world state snapshot.
    2016-03-25 16:40:28.842 - Thread: 6 -> Before snapshot.: GC Memory: 1,807,664,552 B
    2016-03-25 16:40:28.959 - Thread: 6 -> After snapshot.: GC Memory: 1,822,527,872 B
    2016-03-25 16:40:28.960 - Thread: 6 -> Directory cleanup: GC Memory: 1,822,577,024 B
    2016-03-25 16:40:28.960 - Thread: 6 -> Saving world - END
    2016-03-25 16:40:28.960 - Thread: 6 -> Session snapshot save - START
    2016-03-25 16:40:28.961 - Thread: 6 -> Checking file access for files in target dir.
    2016-03-25 16:40:30.967 - Thread: 6 -> Session snapshot save - END
    2016-03-25 16:40:31.177 - Thread: 6 -> Do not call setLinearVelocity on a fixed object(hkpFixedRigidMotion)
    2016-03-25 16:40:31.177 - Thread: 6 -> Do not call setAngularVelocity on a fixed object(hkpFixedRigidMotion)
    2016-03-25 16:40:31.242 - Thread: 6 -> Cannot calculate mass properties with zero mass or less.
    2016-03-25 16:40:31.242 - Thread: 6 -> Cannot calculate mass properties with zero mass or less.

The end of this mass of Cannot calculates is timestamped 16:40:31.252 and there are 1244 lines of it in that span of 10ms.

It is worth noting that my client sim speed is pretty consistently 1.00 and is not affected by this server sim drop issue. Besides the obvious stuff connected to server sim speed.

29. Fireflash Trainee Engineer

I have a local world I've been going back and for between survival and creative that started stuttering pretty bad after the update. No matter where I go, be it an asteroid or Mars, it would stutter, about every 1 to 1.5 seconds. It does use an extensive list of mods, mostly blocks. I started a new quickstart world and it runs a lot smoother, but while assembling a ship it would freeze for many seconds at times. I almost thought it had crashed.

I'll be happy to provide the first world I mentioned. I was having a lot of fun with that one! While working on my little space station above the Earth-like planet everything started crawling real bad.

30. nateman2000 Trainee Engineer

Interestingly I logged in almost immediately after my DS had booted up and for just a little bit it was actually 1.00 (with the drops still) for half a minute or so. But as soon as I docked my small 8k ship to the station's docking connector...it dropped back down to today's average of 0.23

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.