Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.127] [DS] Massive Server sim speed drop from previous version

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Kham, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

Is this only happening with old worlds? Has anyone tried creating a new world as a test? It might help them figure out the cause of the problem.

2. nateman2000 Trainee Engineer

Yeah several people created new worlds and the problems still persisted when you try to do normal things the game is designed for. I have yet to log in to check out today's patch though so...fingers crossed for improvements! :)

3. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

Welp, hate to break it to everyone, but today's patch did absolutely NOTHING to fix the sim nightmare. My not too big imo ship gets 14fps 1ups and a whole whopping 0.02 sim WOOOOOhOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, 1.126 was great, it was the best performance I've EVER HAD!!! Same 10-30fps, it sucked, but at least it held steady at 60ups and .5-1.0sim. It was playable that's for sure.
    I've done alot of testing today so far, and I am furious, I was about to chuck my computer out the window, ridiculous, I know, but I was livid. It took a Half-Hour to move 100m in SPECTATOR at .02 sim, just trying to reach the cockpit inside my ship. I didn't move at all in character control it took over 5 mins to reach 1m/s, so I gave up!!!!!!!
    I ended up starting a new world, which was nice to see 112fps 60ups 1.0sim in a long time. But Once I pasted my ship, back to the same bullshit, so it has nothing to do with corrupted worlds!!!
    Through my testing, my only conclusion is that it MUST be related to inventory/conveyor management. I put EVERY block on a control panel and cycled through turning differnet blocks on and off!! NOTHING changed at all. So I couldn't pinpoint a particular block cause!! BUT, if I hit Y and turn off the ship 1.0 SIM SOLID!!! Something is BROKEN in there!!!!!
    On smaller ships that I tested, destroyer-size, the sim bounced up and down up and down between .05-1.0 sim like crazy, but same result, if you hit Y, 1.0 sim solid!!!
    So.... I'm at a lose!! I can't play for ANOTHER week because of ghost mystery bugs!!!!! YYAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!! :(
    Oh, and the last ship I tried to paste crashed the game, and it was small as shit, so, I give up!!! I'll check in next week!

4. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Well our log is no longer spammed to hell but we're still seeing the same sim speeds so I'm not sure the actual problem is fixed, it looks more like you've just stopped it logging the problem.
    We've now also got character walk speed tied to server sim speed (see video below) since today's patch so until this issue is resolved, the game is unplayable for me sadly.

New Client and Server logs.

5. CrookedTube Trainee Engineer

@Prescott Freyd, since uploading my world I have actually enjoyed 1.00 server sim speed even though I am still seeing the "null" errors in the log file. I had removed a few things but just small additions to my small base. I don't think my world is a good example of the problem even though it had been debilitating for a while, I will not hesitate to experiment if I find the server speed bug again.

6. DarthPryde Trainee Engineer

I'm running into sims peed drops since 127 as well, oscillating between 1.0 one moment, and as low as 0.03 at times, even though I'm running at 45+ fps. Doing a little experimentation, if I start deleting conveyor connections, my sim speed starts to rise. And, any grid I look at, the more conveyors it has in the info list, the worse the sim speed tanking becomes. I've tried other things, such as deleting different blocks, removing/shutting down lights, turning off any scripts that are running, running worlds with no mods, running worlds in both SP and on a DS, and in each of those experiments, the removal of conveyor connections provides the biggest improvement to sim speed by far. I'm not a programmer, so I can't begin to hazard a guess as to what has happened, but my own empirical observations point to something with conveyors, or perhaps how conveyors interact both with other conveyors as well as other containers.

I did notice some improvement when I deleted cargo containers, connectors, reactors, and the like, but the biggest boost came, for me, from deleting conveyor connections that linked all those things together. Just my own observations.

7. Kham Apprentice Engineer

@Prescott Freyd So I've been doing a lot of testing on the world I linked to earlier in the thread. After deleting all connectors via SE Toolbox my server sim speed has risen from 0.1-0.3 up to 0.6-0.7! So still not as good as before this all started happening, but it does show that what some of the others have said about this being conveyor system related is likely very true, specifically something related to connectors joining grids together. Even attaching one ship via connector I see a drop in sim speed.

I did further testing by removing all ships from our game and with just the stations in the world (four stations, one incredibly large and three smaller) the sim speed held a constant 1.0, when I started adding ships in again it started going down and ended up settling at the 0.6-0.7 range. This is not the performance we saw previously. I hope this information is useful in tracking this down so we can get back to playing.

8. The Kamikaze Kumara Trainee Engineer

Just confirming my own experimentation with the significant drop in sim speed. With my world, I did the same test as Kham [post above] in regards to removing conveyors/connectors, however I decided it would be easier to remove connectors. So, I unlocked/removed all connectors from the 6+ ships docked around the map, and my sim speed immediately improved to 1.0 from it's jumpy 0.5~0.75. The moment I begin docking those ships again, the sim speed plummets and gets to a point where the game is unplayable.

9. Prescott Freyd Senior Engineer

Thank you guys for the investigation, even though it is connected to a problem, it is nice to see this dedication.

Regarding the issue, we're positive that we found the problem that was causing the performance drops, the programmer responsible for the change is hard at work making your worlds run smooth again ;) Stay tuned for this week's update.

PF

• Like Like x 4
  10. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Thank you for the feedback. Really glad to hear you think the issue has been tracked down! :tu:

11. Hemp Plan[e]t Apprentice Engineer

i would love u guys when they run smooth next update (my last vacation week :woot:)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I posted this as a separate bug. My server started giving me GC Memory errors (not enough graphic card memor). I'm using the onboard graphics Intel graphics just to run the monitor and limited at 1Gigabyte.

But here's the question... WHY IS THE DEDICATED SERVER USING MY GRAPHICS CARD.

Sorry to put that in all caps... but that's a bit weird. The server shouldn't be rendering anythng graphics-wise. That should be handled on the client. I'm running my own hardware box. So I just popped in an older 2GB nVidia card and the issue solved itself from my end.

But are we losing CPU cycles due to redundant renderings? And how does this affect those on commercial, virtualized servers?

Log file snippet inclluded.
    http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/1-128-ds-server-stopped-due-to-lack-of-gc-memory.7382239/

13. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

GC memory refers to Garbage Collection in this case :) The garbage collector is what cleans up unused objects and frees up the memory.

14. Squida Trainee Engineer

I would just like to add, I have noticed when you press Shift+F11 There is a setting that says Billboards total, the number fluctuates heaps.

I have noticed it changing when you are near a ship / station. move away from the ship / station and it goes to 0.

The question I have is how much does this effect server sim. Due to, it is calculating something. not sure 100% what it is, but it could possibly be the Yellow boxes over usable blocks, for example. when accessing Terminals, Keypads, Doors, etc...

15. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we're seeing the exact same problems still even with the 'fixes' from this week's patch. Another week of no SE. :(

Edit: Here's another video taken today. As you can see SSS still sits ridiculously low and because of the changes to character movement it's now not only slow when moving, it's jittery as hell. Again, I'm 'sprinting' in this video.

16. Malohkan Trainee Engineer

I can also confirm here that along with bad SSS, my FPS has plummeted. I've got a good rig here, and I honestly can't remember the last time I wasn't capped at 60fps. Today, it never got over 23fps just standing still doing nothing.

17. Squida Trainee Engineer

Mods, no Mods?

Dedicated, Local, singeplayer?

Have you also tried a fresh save, I for one have had to restart a new save last patch, and the 2 patches before, so maybe try that as well.

18. Kham Apprentice Engineer

I'm reporting for the same world the OP is about, in the same conditions. I'm doing so because Prescott said this patch should fix those worlds, it hasn't.

19. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

Server Sim speed remains painfully slow. I have now had no one playing for 3 weeks. Today's patch with the affected programmer did not correct the issue. Hey, if anyone is looking for a different survival server look me up - I will need more players since I've lost mine :mad:

20. sammyvoncheese Apprentice Engineer

same issue

21. nateman2000 Trainee Engineer

I can also confirm that if I connect just 2 of my large grid's inventories together (large ship to station) that it drops from Server Sim Speed 1.00 to 0.50. Fluctuates up and drops down in a split second like before. I don't think the inventory/conveyor bug has been fixed.

I'm trying to separate variables and I'm going to make a video to show sim speeds, movement problems, as well as the camera and control panel client sim speed drop. The last item is EXTRAORDINARILY annoying because you have to press the same key multiple times for it to actually register or click the search field 5 times just for it to register a single click with the client sim speed fluctuations.

These need high priority, they are Major game breakers and they've been persisting for weeks.

I don't quite understand how but the movement changes today made character movement even worse. There is lots of rubber banding which gets worse with the fluctuating server sim speed. Before it was just an inconsistent max speed.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  22. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, if they'd introduced this new system, where character movement is controlled by the server, when the server sim speed hadn't already been trashed by a previous patch then it may not be so bad. Currently though, it's made multiplayer completely unplayable.

23. demolish50 Senior Engineer

I'm not so sure anymore if Keen has the staff to ever get MP playable. This was such a poor decision. I promise you this, if I did something like this, I would have been immediately fired. They should have absolutely kept this internal until they could have worked out some of this crap.

I'm trying to remain as respectful as I can here but as I said earlier, it's getting very old.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Kham Apprentice Engineer

I do have to agree with you on that.

25. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

After the Today Hotfix , my DS world is running "better" .. SSS is still low (but better than 128) - but with the server controled char movement, it is still not very fun to walk ... and jumping is an gamble, one time it jump, next time only an "try" ..... i think it is the wrong way to fight against ping and network issues, that is happen on an non local network ever ... better to make the code to manage the problem internaly and hardenen the code to work EVEN with bad network connections (diff matrixes for network and for game engine as an example..) ...

Regards

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

I just entered in random DS without mods just to check simspeed and all was fine. no lags, ping 50 fps 61

27. demolish50 Senior Engineer

Nice, you can play on an almost empty server. Have fun!

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

10 players , i saw 3 planets . do i have to enter in one with 100 mods?
    i don't play DS crap . But i'm willing to test.

29. Kham Apprentice Engineer

You don't have to do anything man. This thread is about an issue, you don't have the issue so be glad. You don't need to come in and say you don't have the issue, just accept that some of us do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

No problem, i didn't say nothing. have fun

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.