Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.042] [Dedicated Server] Auto save not functioning.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Ghostickles, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MrCooper01 Trainee Engineer

There was a second update from 42.19 to 42.

Is it still not saving?

/edit

btw: is there any response at all from the devs? except the alleged communication with the professional serverhosts.

2. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

Are you not aware that nefarious individuals exist on the internet?

3. AlexClark Trainee Engineer

I am, but I run my server for a limited group of close friends, so that's not a concern.

But, with client saving enabled on the server, it does function. For me at least.

4. MrCooper01 Trainee Engineer

Ouh... It is updating again. Let's see what is coming!

5. squisher Trainee Engineer

Update 01.042.021
    - fixed autosave issue when stopping DS which was run as service

6. [NoV]Austin Trainee Engineer

Tested and working fine here.

Thank you, Keen.

7. Summonsays Trainee Engineer

Checked the logs, my server hasn't saved since 7/31 : \

8. [NoV]Austin Trainee Engineer

Make sure your game is up to date, it is working in the latest released: 01.042.021

9. NightStalker Apprentice Engineer

I can confirm I am on version 01.042.21 just updated today and still the auto save is not working. I even tried a brand new fresh map and same thing no saves:

Code:
    2014-08-10 12:38:30.100 - Thread:    6 ->  App Version: 01_042_021
    It's sad I had to revert to single player because running the dedicated is pointless and this is hurting those of us who run servers for others to play on. This should be the #1 priority right now.

NightStalker

10. Rioclaw Apprentice Engineer

Also confirmed in 1.042.21 via world folder. After an hour of uptime following the update, there is no modifications to the world files indicating a save.

Autosave still broken.

11. MrCooper01 Trainee Engineer

Code:
    Same here. Just updated and tested out.... it is still not saving..
    [QUOTE]App Version: 01_042_021[/QUOTE]
    I am sure it is a hell of work to find a f***ing bug like this, but how do the devs test their updates? It is curious... 
    If they would start a normal ded server they would notice that their patches didnt solve the saving problems...

//edit:

I am sorry... I don't get it why the hell my post is posted like code... I only quoted my version and that's all :D

12. Jacmac Apprentice Engineer

Auto-save works upon stopping the service. So it might not auto-save periodically, but if you issue a stop command to the service, it does save. One thing I have been having some trouble with is starting the dedicated server service with older saves, there seems to be some problems with that.

EDIT:

I've discovered what they are doing now. When you start the service, it creates a new save folder and starts game under that. When you stop the service, it saves it under that same folder, but when you start the service again a new folder will be created during the start up. Kind of weird, but I guess they are solving some kind of problem, maybe file locking issue?

You can't see it yet, but the new folder is there for when I started the service at 16:09. This game was created originally at 16:00 and stopped at 16:06.
    [​IMG]

You can see the 16:09 folder here and notice that the service is stopped and the files are saved at 16:14
    [​IMG]

13. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

My server is failing to auto save aswell,
    it will save once about 4 mins after starting,
    <div>2014-08-10 14:04:04.910 - Thread: 1 -> Server connected to Steam
    2014-08-10 14:04:04.911 - Thread: 1 -> Server PolicyResponse (1)
    2014-08-10 14:04:05.465 - Thread: 1 -> GC Memory: 587,852,872 B
    2014-08-10 14:04:05.650 - Thread: 1 -> Game ready... Press Ctrl+C to exit
    2014-08-10 14:09:22.646 - Thread: 1 -> Saving world - START</div>2014-08-10 14:09:22.646 - Thread: 1 -> Making world state snapshot.
    2014-08-10 14:09:22.647 - Thread: 1 -> Before snapshot.: GC Memory: 601,758,072 B
    2014-08-10 14:09:22.691 - Thread: 1 -> After snapshot.: GC Memory: 608,802,296 B
    2014-08-10 14:09:22.691 - Thread: 1 -> Directory cleanup: GC Memory: 608,802,296 B
    2014-08-10 14:09:22.691 - Thread: 1 -> Saving world - END
    but after that doesn't save again and doesn't reliably save on service end.
    -Therian

14. Jacmac Apprentice Engineer

See my updated post above

15. stormlx Trainee Engineer

I can confirm, on external dedicated server (paid servers), AUTO SAFE is NOT working. So i guess i paid for a server I cant use, will just stop this game for a month to let enough time to developpers to fix this^^

16. Jacmac Apprentice Engineer

It is working, but it may not work correctly for an older save. I'm not sure why though, but there seems to be something about the way is is using folders. It may rely on the folder names not being mangled in any way.

17. Jacmac Apprentice Engineer

Some further testing:

Starting the service while I hit F5 to refresh the file folders.

[​IMG]

New folder created when the service finishes starting.

[​IMG]

No question about it, the save is functioning when you stop the service. When you start, a whole new save folder is created.

18. scipio Apprentice Engineer

@Jacmac :
    Check your config file to see if there is a path in &lt;LoadWorld>. If there isn't, it's normal the server create a new map at each start.
    It happend if you checked "new map" in the instance manager, saved the config and if you didn't reruned the instance manager and saved the config again after the map creation.

19. Jacmac Apprentice Engineer

Code:
    &lt;LoadWorld />
    So I guess the folder creation thing is something that is normal. I guess the Save is at least working if the world is created by the server. I can't get my old world to load, the service seems to crash. Maybe i'll try loading it with a real client, save it, and try the service that way.

EDIT:

I got my old world to load on the server finally. I loaded it up on a client and there was some crazy spawn thing going on. I was in a respawn ship instead of getting the respawn menu. The screen was flipping out like crazy. It was like watching a strobe light. I hit exit cockpit and then I was immediately killed. I then got the normal respawn menu and was able to spawn at my base. I saved the saved the game there and copied it back to the server. It started with no problem. I joined the server and changed something then went back to the server and stopped the service. The game saved as expected, without creating a new folder. I restarted the service and joined from the client, everything is working as expected.

So I guess, at least a normal start and stop of the service will save the game. It does seem that periodic auto-saves are not working, but at least the world isn't blown away on a normal stop. A crash would still be a problem though.

20. scipio Apprentice Engineer

You should really stop acids ^^

21. Jwam Trainee Engineer

Hi!

I'm currently running a SE dedicated server while our clan's server admin is on holiday. I don't know how the autosave function used to work prior to the July 31st patch.

I just updated the server and noticed that the world now saves upon service stop / restart, but does not save when the service is actually running.

Is it the normal behavior? Did it work like this before July 31st? Do we lose any changes if the server crashes?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

22. nate1380 Trainee Engineer

The server used to save about every 15 minutes while it was running. This behavior has stopped since auto-save was initially broken. With yesterdays patch they have restored the functionality of at least saving on stop/restart but we currently do not have periodic saves. I hope this is restored soon as it prevents the ability to create archives.

23. Jwam Trainee Engineer

Thank you very much!

24. stormlx Trainee Engineer

My server (paid server) isnt saving when I restart it. He is not auto saving periodically either :/

25. MrCooper01 Trainee Engineer

confirm here

26. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Every day I look for a fix for this, and every day i grow a bit more desperate and sad....

27. Bluelight Trainee Engineer

Hey!

The game saves when using Ctrl+C to close the server! But it does not auto-save.. As others have mentioned..
    My greatest issue is that the server crash if someone is building a small ship with a control panel on.. The small button thingy! And then all progress is lost! This is annoying!

I have reported the problem and waiting for a reply! I'll post any findings here..!

28. afinegan Apprentice Engineer

The server still isnt saving normally, have been reduced down to using SE Extender(which introduces lag.....) to do the saving for us.

Quit putting the the patch notes "Saving is fixed" when it isn't please.

29. Jacmac Apprentice Engineer

Why not just stop and start the server on intervals? That will save the game regularly. :)

30. kittle Senior Engineer

While that will keep the saved the game up to date..
    The restart will also kick everyone out. resulting in a pissed off player base... which eventually results in an empty server.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.