Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.042] [Dedicated Server] Auto save not functioning.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Ghostickles, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. sam401am Trainee Engineer

While it may not be applicable for some - what I have done on my server is create a batch file using net stop and net start commands to restart my server service. I have it restart the service 3 times a day using a scheduled task that my players all know when it is going to happen. Granted my server contains only a close group of friends so this works for us for the time being - but like I said this may not be applicable to others running larger public servers. Something to note - When the batch file starts the service after it has been stopped it may give an error that the service was unable to start or that the service cannot be controlled in its present state, this seems to be simply because the service takes a long time to start but mine has never failed to start and I have been running it like this for about a week now.

2. SkyNET97 Trainee Engineer

Our paid server on Streamline, does not save when stopping the server

3. MrCooper01 Trainee Engineer

same here

4. DocMop Junior Engineer

If they do not fix it today you should seriously consider to denounce your server rent. Just make sure to tell them (the server hoster) you are doing so because of all the bugs. Effects will be greater the more people do this.

But I hope for a fix as of today.

5. Rogyros Trainee Engineer

^^ you're right DocMop, hired a server for a month, have been able to use it for 2-3 days, it has been "down" for 2 weeks now. we've been pushing our host to put some pressure on keen as well. hope to see this issue properly addressed/fixed coming update.

6. Bluelight Trainee Engineer

There is a new update right now! Does anyone know if it's fixed?
    And stop attacking Keen, I'm sure they are doing what they can..

7. Syrrhaptes_Paradoxus Trainee Engineer

I have rented a Server from Nitrado.net and I have the same issue as everyone else. My server does not autosave, either periodically or before a shutdown.

I would include my logs and config, but the character restrictions forbid me from doing so and I do not see any possibility of attaching the files to my post.

8. Chisel Trainee Engineer

Same issue with the latest update unfortunately, getting ridiculous.

9. Pingperfect Trainee Engineer

Request that your server provider get SEServerExtender working like many others have. SEServerExtender fixes autosaving (you can always have it removed again when official autosave works)

10. DocMop Junior Engineer

Blame whom blame deserves.
    If you can not take the backlash for the sh ... stuff you do, you should not start in the first time.

11. n30nex Trainee Engineer

This has moved into the realm of pay service hosting, and having all forms of vanilla saving being broken is unacceptable. Reply if you must with the generic "it's an alpha", but the moment you told / allowed hosts to offer managed servers for cost, you effectively moved your game into different territory.

I am fully aware of the workload your team is under, but lack of responses on your end is eroding your player base into nothing.

A lot of you will not agree with this course of action, but I am asking the other regular members of the KSH SE forums and other server hosters to begin a massive thread spam campaign until the auto save issue is actually resolved.

This was claimed to be fixed 3 weeks ago. This was claimed to be fixed 2 weeks ago.

And now your claiming it does not exist / has been taken care of. It might have been taken care of in your internal testing environment, but out in the wild, everything is still broken.

I will be posting this message every day in a new thread, you can ban all you would like, forum administrators, but I will return, you cannot ignore this anymore. Or you could, pass onto the developers the situation that has been created and get us a legitimate, real response, we are waiting. I will not be replying to this thread, but if it is removed it will simply be reposted.

12. Crewman87 Apprentice Engineer

They have been trying to fix it. Flaming the forums will not make a bit of difference.

13. Kovsky Trainee Engineer

I am an active Dedicated server host, I check logs daily. I also run in local/console mode on a private machine.

The issue I have noticed with auto saveing on dedicated servers is that it only autosaves when you close the server. There was a point when it would autosave every so often (10mins i think) just as single player does. The log file does not show an error, there is simply not auto save occurring except on server shutdown.

The work around is I shutdown and restart the server at least once a day.

14. Lichan Corrine Trainee Engineer

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here, and assume that everyone who has ever bitched about the 'autosave not working' doesn't know frigging anything about how to actually inform the developer of the problem.

Note 1: When shutting down the server, autosave _works fine_
    Note 2: The autosave call during gameplay fires _once_ after five minutes, does NOT create a save, and never gets called again.
    Note 3: Either there is a problem with the autosave call itself (pointing to a function that does not exist) or the function it is calling has a problem. Given that it is most likely that the during-play autosave uses the same saving function as the on-shutdown autosave, what that means is that the during-play autosave is calling the wrong function, and crashing itself (and ONLY itself)

IF, on the other hand, the during-play autosave is NOT the same as the on-shutdown autosave, that again opens up the possibility of the function being called having issues.

THAT is how you properly register your displeasure with the autosave being broken. TELL THEM WHAT EXACTLY IS HAPPENING IN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE.

This is an ALPHA people, which means we need to give the programmers something specific to look for, rather than just saying 'this is broken'

15. Chisel Trainee Engineer

I have given them full logs, config files and reproduction steps in a clean accepted bug reporting format that matches their guidelines, as have several others, and that's only a few I've noticed without looking too hard, there's only so many times we can report the same issue without getting frustrated.

I'm not even really suffering too much from the problem myself as I've noted elsewhere due to the ability to use a 3rd party tool, but others don't have that luxury. As has been pointed out here as well when dedicated server providers that people are paying for are having the same issue as well this becomes a much more serious issue that should demand immediate attention.

At the software company I work for a issue on this scale, even in a limited release alpha product would warrant an immediate high priority bugfix release, or at the very least assuming it's a known issue or even worse and intended change some form of announcement, possibly sharing any known alternate solutions, like backup scrips or 3rd party tools (like Server Extender).

16. Crewman87 Apprentice Engineer

The frustration is understandable and Keen obviously doesn't deny that. Why would they deliberately lie about fixing it? It's a known issue, they have been trying to fix it. Everyone needs to just be patient, while I know that's hard to do with money involved, they can't work miracles over night. It's just something people need to understand. They are clearly struggling to get it fixed and ranting doesn't help. (This isn't directly pointed at you Chisel, just an example)

17. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Please lock this thread. Please post to current bug report on this topic.

18. Chisel Trainee Engineer

Another self appointed moderator said to not post in other threads and keep it in this one, you guys should agree on which it is...

No offence taken, don't worry, and working in development myself I understand, but overnight it has not been. This has been an outstanding issue for 3 weeks, and some form of visible developer communication at least would be much appreciated if this is a struggle to fix as you suggest.

19. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

I am not self appointing myself moderator, I'm the original poster, and this is now old thread given Keen put out a 'fix' to this versions issue. Thank you for helping. If people try pointing you here please stare blankly, blink three times at them and continue to post to the current versions topic thread.

Please lock this thread.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.