Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.059.?] [Dedicated Server-Survival, x64] All player IDs have changed - can't spawn at med bays, lo

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by demolish50, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

At least they have to be tested with one or a few people, before releasing them. This normally a thing what Keen should do, IMHO. Didn't I say a long time ago that fixed patch dates aren't good? :p

It's not a problem to me to wait for a release -- unless it works like the change log promises. I can wait four weeks or longer, doesn't matter, as long as functionality isn't affected.

2. Cobra Apprentice Engineer

This is exactly what we were saying, no developing studio pushes "patches" out in a state that are so untested and buggy.
    Under normal circumstances I would agree with you and say "I don't care".

But the problem is there are a lot of game breaking bugs every thursday / friday that make the life hard for all server operators.
    Also some of us really get pissed when we see that all the energy, time and effort we have spent on the server gets valued with another gamebreaking "bugfix" patch.
    I did a lot of server side scripting for my server and even developed my own small applications to mod the map, have a reliable backup manager etc... And seeing that they sort of destroy all your hard work every time they release a new patch is just pure frustrating.

3. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

I don't have a separate backup process other than the save game in the console. Any recommendations on something that's relatively easy to implement? Is the hotfix out? Is there a procedure to get back to the original id #? I know people a raging, but being new to the whole dedicated server side I would like to focus on a solution if there is one so everyone on my server doesn't have to re-hack everything they made. Any help is much appreciated. :)

4. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

Well I'm still out of luck on todays hotfix, didnt fix anything.

I think the thing I find funny are the flamers and trolls that insult anyone that's sick of this patch failure mess that Keen drops on us twice a week clearly isn't paying money for a dedicated server. I bet if people were shelling out an additional $50-$150 a month on a server(s) their tune would change quick enough. They just repeat the troll catch phrase of "its an alpha" or post some mindless Meme that's been dumped on the forums here 500 times before.

If you're going to troll someone at least put some originality into it so I can get a laugh from it instead of being so disappointed in yet another troll just following the herd of trolls off the cliff's of stupid like little lemming morons.

5. Cobra Apprentice Engineer

@Soulthule

There is a workaround using the SEToolbox
    You can open your save file (after shutting down the server) and manually edit the ownership of whole cubegrids inside that.
    However your work will be destroyed as soon as that person joins the server again.

As far as I understand the bugs works like this:
    Everytime a player joins your server, he gets an unique id assinged to identify him. Everything he owns is referenced to him by having set OwnerID = PlayerID.
    Now the bug makes that every player that joins your server get a new ID, even if he already has one on the server. This means all the OwnerID that were set to the "old" PlayerID are now pointing to an old invalid user.
    Which results in the player loosing all his ownership everytime he logs on the server.

6. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/server-tool-seserverextender-expanding-the-dedicated-server-fork-7149774?trail=15

with

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/mp-mod-dedicated-server-essentials-requires-seserverextender-7174455?trail=15

Doesnt get any easier than that!

As far as the current bug, its not fixed for most people in today's patch, Tyrsis said he could fix it if he needs to, but he'd rather Keen actually fix their mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
  7. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for the info. I will work to implement that.

Is it possible to grab an old xml file with the original ids and add it to the current world? Again, apologies for my lack of understanding fully how the dedicated user id files are set up.

8. Cobra Apprentice Engineer

It is possible, but it won't fix the issue, as the server will assign a new userID either way when an already existing player joins, rendering all the references to the old id obsolete and you loose the ownership again.

I don't think that you can fix this without actually fixing the issue inside their source code.

As of this fact my server will stay offline until they finaly manage to fix this bug...

9. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

You would need to have a backup made to implement this, SESE with Essentials plugin has built in backups you can configure.

10. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

First, turn off Steam's automatic updates for SE.

Second, before carrying out the update, you can pack or copy your whole Space Engineers directory, e.g. Steam\SteamApps\Common\SpaceEngineers. As a recommendation, copy everything except _CommonRedist. I think that's what you don't need. Inside those directories, there're also server files, found in DedicatedServer.zip in \Tools. Do not forget to copy appmanifest_244850.acf in \SteamApps, too. In this file, you tell Steam the actual version. You'll need to keep it, even if you roll back a previous version. That keeps preventing from having to update. But don't forget to copy the one for your actual version back due to incremential updates. If you do forget once, you still can verify installed files to get the actual version.

At least, I'm doing so.

The world on the server can be copied either way. Simply copy everything to a new folder. Powershell in windows lets you insert date & time, what is very useful. You can script this in a batch file, too. Those backups (you can also shedule them) helped us a lot. :)

11. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Why don't you use an old version? v01.058.015 works fine.

12. LordNex Trainee Engineer

We server operators are retarded to do this much work anyway LOL

Im going back to good old Atari!

When they put out a great game like ET! It Stays Out and Complete!

13. Cobra Apprentice Engineer

How am I able to downgrade? I haven't backed up the binaries and already updated.

14. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

There's no -legal- possibility, since Keen does not offer old version files (I try to move them to use beta versions on Steam, but I don't have any reply since now :p). I did it once from other sources, but that's time-intensive searching, and you effectively don't know what you get. They could be altered with a virus. Since I was in your situation, I backup every week. I could send them to you, but uploading an archive with ~700 MB is too long with my poor 1 MBit Upload channel...

15. Cobra Apprentice Engineer

Yeah thanks for your effort, but I think a few days more or less that the server if offline don't do any harm as we are getting used to this mess already.
    I just really really hope keen will do something their poor quality of work.

My server is by far not the only survival server that is down now due to the bugs. We will see if that puts some pressure on the management of Keen.

16. Sky Trainee Engineer

If you have a dedicated server, you'll need to pull the dedicatedserver.zip file from the week prior. Unless you copy it to your dedicated folder, then restore that file. However I don't believe this will work.

An older version will restore the game id. The game id's are linked in the %appdata%~maps folder.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    The only solution I found to work is to restore the map files from before Thursday's patch. My server only lost 1 day of downtime, we restored the map files after Friday's hot-fix and everything is good to go.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

*** Check us out on our steam group: Space Frontiers ***
    *** Space Frontiers is a WHITELISTED server. ***
    *** Interested in joining? Steamgroup: SpaceFrontiers ***

17. alakeram Trainee Engineer

So the hotfix worked as intended,

i reset ownership of all and reclaimed my items, logged out logged back in and it stays as my OwnerID but because there is "old" UserID's it does not let me reclaim my factions, which i don't mind, i just want a way to delete the old faction and put up a new faction (needed faction cleaning anyways, alot of inactive factions)

18. Raventhorn Trainee Engineer

Kinda hard to get good valid information in this personal bullshit back and forth.

But can we get some valid feedback from someone who knows, is this going to be fixed in a future patch, or do we start grinding down stuff and re-claiming?

I will not open my server and have players re-claim all their stuff just to see a fix in a few days.

19. MarlDaeSu Trainee Engineer

Okay so I installed the hotfix and restored to backup that was 18 hours old, and it worked! Unfortunately the backup from JUST before the Thursday update still has the ownership issues and I cannot figure out why.

As i run a PvE server I'm just going to roll with the recent back up and remove all ownership so people can reset it to themselves.

I think I agree with nukeguard, we should put a 2 day 'embargo' on all new patches.

20. alakeram Trainee Engineer

Ok so i have a workaround to this whole issue (if you run a PvP server with alot of people this is not for you and should just pray that they release a fix to revert playerID's)

Heres exactly what i did:
    1.took server down, reset all ownership of blocks, put server up, saved it, took it down again, removed the reset blocks option (server resets guess what with that option ticked bye bye ownership again).
    2.Edited the sandbox.sbc file (With notepad++) and removed everything between the /factions list
    Code:
      <Factions>
        <Factions>
        factioninfohereDELETE
        </Factions>
        <Players>
          <dictionary>
            <item>
           Do not delete items in this list!
            </item>
            <item>
             Should be items here (DO NOT TOUCH)
            </item>
          </dictionary>
        </Players>
        <Relations>
         Delete faction info in these brackets
        </Relations>
        <Requests>
        Delete Faction info in these brackets
        </Requests>
      </Factions>

Do not delete the </Factions> or the </Requests> etc brackets or else you'll load errors, alot of them. and you will not be able to create a new faction.

This is for people who are not patient and do not wanna wait for another hotfix. all players will have to reclaim their items and remake factions (unless you wanna painstakingly reinput peoples new ID's into the faction leader slots etc)

21. PhilipSnyder Trainee Engineer

Just curious... really. But has anyone stopped to think that this may be an issue with Steam, rather than Keen? Think about the layers involved here. Keen writes a program that is for Steam, Steam writes a program that allows Keen's program to run under (insert platform here). Granted writing it for the Steam OS makes it easier than writing a program for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10... and that's just all the Windows versions that it can run on, to say nothing about other OSes. But, if Steam changes something that changes the User ID value, even something as simple as changing it from a Single to a Double, any game that is dependent on that value, has a problem. It seems to me that since the issue is the Steam ID, either Steam changed something, or Keen changed something that reads the ID from Steam.

This sort of thing is why I only got on Steam a couple of years ago. When Half-Life 2 came out, I refused to buy it, even after thoroughly enjoying Half-Life. I got it as a Christmas gift, and still, I gave it to someone else, because I wanted nothing to do with the Steam OS at the time. Really still don't, but our choice in that matter has gotten smaller simply because it does seem to be easier to code a program to run on Steam, and then let Steam figure out how to make it work for the other OSes. But if there ever comes a time when Steam decides, either by choice or not, to close it's doors, how many games are simply gone?

Now, to the other issue. This is what happens when the community expects weekly patches. Keen is going to spend every manhour they have writing the code. I do hope that Keen's developers are not browsing this forum because the level of selfishness is quite unbelievable. I hope that Keen decides after they are done with this round of bug fixing, to scale back the frequency of patches, so that they can do a little in house QA before releasing it to the general Alpha Testers. Personally I wouldn't mind a patch every 2 weeks, or even 3, just to make sure that something like this doesn't make the game unplayable because you can't even log into the server as yourself. But quite honestly, Keen has to make a decision, release every week, hope nothing serious is broken, and keep ignoring the whiners who don't understand that they are the testers, or release every two-to-three weeks, get a basic QA done, release, and ignore the whiners who were spoiled on weekly releases. Either way they choose, people are going to be upset and ranting.

22. MarlDaeSu Trainee Engineer

I'm tempted to agree with you. Whatever caused this issue happened to my save file before the Thursday patch,
    It just didn't manifest until the server updated (pre patch backups from Thursday are affected, but any backups more than 18 hours old are fine for some reason).

Its entirely possible that there is something else we 're missing, or it was just the patch but it's hard to tell, there are strange winds a blowin'

23. alakeram Trainee Engineer

lol long un-needed post, the bickering has pretty much stopped, lets stick to the actual bug on hand :p

24. MarlDaeSu Trainee Engineer

In all seriousness did you actually read it he had a point in there, even if it wasn't concise.

Edit; he wasn't bickering I meant, he was asking a rhetorical question about steams possible involvement

25. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

Just to clarify beacuse I see people posting wrong statements.
    There are 2 ways of fixing this thing. Both should be permanent, but only one will give your faction back.
    I have done the 'best' one, and it's persistent. It will not reset the next time you log in.

Core problem is, they implemented a new format for player data and they 'forgot' to import players from the original table. But once you assign the corrects IDs to the new table, everything works ok.

Also the main problem here is that you have many copies of the player in the server, that's because many players spawn many time with starting ships before staying with a permanent id (getting your medical room and spawning there).

So you need to match the Steam ID to the correct player and he will recover everything.
    You grab a copy of the save from before the patch, look at the SBC file and look for the steam id of the player (tagged ClientId), then you find his correct SE Player ID (tagged <Value xsi:type="xsd:long">, usually starts with 14xxx). Then in the new save you find the steam ID and put the correct IdentityId and voila, you recover all your stuff. Sometimes the faction leader is more complicated and you have to add him back to the list of faction members. (It might be safer to to a replace all with old number>new number so he also gets a configuration for the astronaut and toolbars for the original ID).
    BUT if the player has not logged in yet, you will not found his SteamID and you may need to copy-paste another player and replace the info.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  26. LordNex Trainee Engineer

I wish someone would have explained it like that to begin with. Would have saved me some time. LOL Good Show Old Man!! You Get A Gold Star!

Now go get a job at Keen and fix this shizit please?

27. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Nope, our savegame data from 058.015 has been taken, and after updating directly to 059.011, the same issue persists. Other SteamIDs, additional entries.

28. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

I'd agree if steamid won't change each time you log in. Anyway: how should steamid change? it's permanent.

29. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]
    Here's a little helper for admins to find player IDs. I have coded this for my personal use, but if anyone wants to give it a try, you can get it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16945230/SE_PlayerFinder.exe
    I don't guarantee I will work with your particular save, I have only tested with mine. Also you may need to install VB6 runtime if you have never done it before.
    Use: Drag the sbc file in there and have a coffee.
    /Edit: Forgot to say, this is only for old format sbc files, for admins trying to repair new 'corrupted' (no player data) saves.

Thanks :D I fixed a small typo I did while posting at work, now the correct old tag for the player id is correct. (Value xsi)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  30. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

SteamID NEVER change. That ID is used for setting admins and bans. I don't need to say that admin system wouldnt work with variable IDs...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.