Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.059.?] [Dedicated Server-Survival, x64] All player IDs have changed - can't spawn at med bays, lo

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by demolish50, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

The more I wonder why I get a new ID each time I logon.

2. tyrsis Junior Engineer

Something to try if you have a valid backup from BEFORE the thursday patch:

You have two sections in the old save:

<ConnectedPlayers>

and

<DisconnectedPlayers>

If you have no users in the connectedPlayers list, move one user from the disconnectedplayers list to the connectedplayers list, and then run with your backup, and see if everything converts properly. The hotfix worked for a lot of servers, but some people it did not work for. I believe the common issue with the ones it didn't work for were the backups used didn't have anyone online.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  3. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

Words escape me on how uninformed you would need to be to honestly think anything of what you wrote was worth the time to read. Yes, it must be Steams fault that Keen developers are so bad at their jobs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  4. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

I tried this with my server and it does indeed work, my server is now running without losing ownership.

5. Apocalysse Trainee Engineer

I have tried but it's not working :(

I have founded that the <ConnectedPlayers> and <DisconnectedPlayers>, after server starts, become empty and will never populate .... Someone could post the new <ConnectedPlayers> and <DisconnectedPlayers> entity so i could try a manual conversion please ?

6. Apocalysse Trainee Engineer

I have done a lot of tests and every time i join the game i got another PlayerID !!

The Game start, i can see for a while my stuff, then something change and tac, i can see only respawn ship. So i go to Sandbox.sbc and there is another Apocalysse with a different ID >_>

Any idea, please ? :)

7. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

[SIZE= 10pt]To expound on Tyrsis’ instructions, I will give a short rundown on what to look for and what to change.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]
    This helps if you have a 'clean' backup from prior to Thusday's patch. Once you have a post-patch sandbox.sbc file things become more permanent as Keen has stated. You can try the following steps with a post-patch .sbc but I cannot promise it will work and I haven't gone through the process to determine what would need to be changed in that situation. I would assume it would involve finding the items they own and changing their new playerID to the old one or vice versa.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]Sandbox.sbc is found in the \saves\<gamename folder>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]If you do not want to try to manually edit your sandbox.sbc file you need to find a backup with a player(s) listed in the <ConnectedPlayer> section of the file. I would look as such:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]
    Code:
    <ConnectedPlayers>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]    <dictionary>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]      <item>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]        <Key xsi:type="PlayerId">[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]          <ClientId>{Players Steam64 ID HERE}</ClientId>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]          <SerialId>0</SerialId>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]        </Key>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]        [B][U]<Value xsi:type="MyObjectBuilder_Player">[/U][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]          <DisplayName>{Players in-game name HERE}</DisplayName>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]          <IdentityId>{Original PlayerID here EX. 144185239256203322}</IdentityId>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]        </Value>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]      </item>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]    </dictionary>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]  </ConnectedPlayers>
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]If your sandbox.sbc file looks like:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]
    Code:
    <ConnectedPlayers>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]    <dictionary />[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]  </ConnectedPlayers>
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]You will need to find a player in the <DisconnectedPlayers> section and move it up top, be aware of the differences between the below section and the above as they ARE different, I have made the differences bold as to highlight them:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]
    Code:
    [/SIZE] [SIZE= 10pt]<DisconnectedPlayers>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]    <dictionary>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]      <item>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]        <Key xsi:type="PlayerId">[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]          <ClientId>{Player Steam64 ID HERE}</ClientId>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]          <SerialId>0</SerialId>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]        </Key>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]        [B][U]<Value xsi:type="xsd:long">{PlayerID HERE EX. 134185119255593322}</Value>[/U][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]      </item>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]   </dictionary>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]</DisconnectedPlayers>
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]

8. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

I'm waiting for a patch what should do this automatically. The server should see on start if there're players in the wrong section and must move them automatically to where they belong to. On server start, there can't be players connected, so this is an ambiguous information to be corrected. Additionally, I'm not shure if that leaves multiple IDs out of consideration.

I do remember that there have been problems with different SteamIDs in the past where players got dead and lost ownership of their things. The solution was to delete the new ID and perform a resurrection of the old player by changing IsDead from true to false. So getting another SteamID seems to got worse instead of better. There must be something more behind this line. A simple deletion of new player datas is no more the solution.

9. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

You're probably going to be waiting a long time as Keen has already 'fixed' the issue, and has already stated that it wont fix ID's already duplicated.

The steam ID has NEVER changed in this game, nor will it. The playerID is the entry that is changing and that is assigned by the server, not by Steam.

10. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

This makes no sense to me. Why should PlayerID be another than SteamID?

And, I think that they're working on a fix right now. At least the current state is not really useable.

11. foamingjetty Trainee Engineer

I hope they're working on a durable fix that doesn't require code-diving.

What Fingersniffer and Tyrsis are talking about isn't impossible, but it's also not reasonable to expect for a large gamer audience. And while I'm sure I could do it for my own DS, I've elected to keep waiting with the DS offline in 1.058 until I stop hearing about this problem "sometimes" being solved and even sometimes recurring.

Those of us on this forum may have already purchased the game, but we ARE an essential aspect of Keen's future growth. Dedicated Server folks in particular tend to be part of established gamer groups, where there is a lot of potential for easy sales, as soon as our friends can be convinced that this game isn't like other Early Access titles they've heard about. At least in my case, simply mentioning that I wanted to do a dedicated-server SE experiment on our forums led to immediate sales for a dozen people. And almost four thousand others are now watching our forum threads of successes, failures, excitement or disappointment on a daily basis. What conclusions do you suppose they are drawing from our conversations right now?

Resolving this issue completely, and preventing similarly embarrassing issues in the future, cannot be a low priority for Keen.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  12. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

PlayerID has always been different than Steam64 ID for dedicated servers, I'm not sure why you have made the assumption that it was different. As for a fix, they already put out a fix.. on Friday, that stated that duplicated ID's would not be fixed by the patch, it is unlikely that that would patch this again and even if they did it likely still wouldn't correct duplicated ID's as Keen doesnt know which ID was the original (or even if the file keeps the original ID for that matter)

This is why it is crucial to create backups of your server many many times a day so you can roll back when needed. Any responsible server admin is backing up their server at least every hour if not more. I myself backup every 20 minutes with autosaves every 10.

The problem HAS been resolved, once the patch is properly implemented with the connected players (which Keen will likely address in a subsequent patch, but will not fix already duplicated ID's, as they already stated) in the ConnectedPlayers section. People that have had the patch work for them, none of them have reported further problems, the only people that have had continued problems was because they tried to fix the problem themselves by changing ownership manually and the original issue persisted.

If you have the expectation that running a DS should not require 'code diving' then you clearly have not been running a SE dedicated server very long, as any DS owner will tell you it is pretty much a prerequisite for running almost any DS for any game that allows customization/mods. As for preventing similarly embarrassing issues.. well that made me laugh pretty hard as Keen recreates these issues on a weekly basis and they have yet to apologize for delivering bad code... sometimes it seems their hell bent on delivering bad code.

13. Apocalysse Trainee Engineer

Tnk for good explain, but my value are a little different from your key, in particular, as you can see i don't have the <DisplayName> and <IdentityID> in disconnected player key, they are appearing in other section on my Sandbox.sbc !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So for me the Patch of the Patch is not Working (!!!) :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  14. goduranus Junior Engineer

what if you just reset all ownership and have players fly out and claim their stuff? Since most of core bases would be hidden/ or be on a friendly server , players stealing each other's stuff shouldn't be too much issue.

15. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

There's no logical reason why it should not be SteamID.

First of all, this patch has not worked. I've re-installed a complete v01.058.015 Backup to ensure the 059 patch did not mess up saves.
    Second, they have bugged the multiple or duplicate IDs, so they should correct it. They steal away from their responsibility. Raising integrity of save files is never a disadvantage.

Maybe that's correct for public servers, but on our private server where only a few members have access to (installing first an unnecessary steam group for making a server private is another topic), backups in such high frequencies are not necessary.

It shurely is benefitial if you can read XML Code, but that should not be the job of an admin or player. You only have to step in if code is buggy, or if you're a mod developer.

16. Cobra Apprentice Engineer

Actually there is:
    If they would use SteamID's as their internal player ID's, they would be forced to use Steam. As they are also planning to release on the XBOX they had to develope their own user ID system that is independent from Steam. They then added an interface which takes the SteamID and creates an unique playerId from it.

If they now are going to release on the XBOX they will just have to implement a new interface, that can the the Windows Live ID and create an unique PlayerID for that as well.

This way their game will always work even outside of steam, which gives them more flexibility.

Their patch did work, but not the way we expected. Do you have a backup from before thursday? I got the server running again with a backup I had from 01. December.
    With the new patch the server should not mess up saves that were clean. Strange thing is, that backups from a few hours before the update already seem to be affected and you can't use them to restore your server.
    So they sort of fixed the bug, but did not implement a correction program (as they probably should have) that fixes your corrupt saves.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
  17. Apocalysse Trainee Engineer

I have used a backup from a day before and it's not working.

18. Cobra Apprentice Engineer

Try a backup a few days back. As I said one from 01.December worked for me

19. Apocalysse Trainee Engineer

Already Tried with a backup of first december, then 27/11, i have modified the file as written before, and is not working !

When i join, i can see for a 1-2 sec my stuff, then i see the empty space and only respawn ship.

20. Cobra Apprentice Engineer

Hm, It's hard to say what is going on. I did not do any changes in the XML file, just took the backup and launched the server.
    I really hope for you, that your world is not completly corrupted

21. soat7ch Junior Engineer

What if you reset all ownership, refound all factions and then go around assigning all the objects back to the factions?
    I know fhis is tedious on larger servers, but it will work.

22. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

OK, that makes sense.

On the other hand, they're in fact married with Steam. I can't play the game without the Steam client running, at least if I want to join a multiplayer server which is private. As stated, only Steam groups support something like a private, password-protected server. I'd like to have the game running without the necessarity of being online in Steam. Am I the only one who takes care about privacy about that?

I'm not sure if I understand that:
    The issue happened with v01.059.x. I've got backups from nearly every version since a long while now, but with v01.058.x the bug did not happen. In v01.057 or v01.058 a world conversation has happened (of course, not mentioned in change logs :mad:). Maybe it has to do with that, but the fact only 059 is affected leads to the conclusion that there's either a problem with only that version, or they have a problem with their new format. Anyway, having "ConnectedPlayer" and "DisconnectedPlayer" doesn't make much sense to me. If they played at least once, they're listed and part of the server. If not, well, then they're not listed. But I'm only a little gamer having his own thoughts. :)

23. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

Just to be clear on a few points since some of you think you can argue your way out of a fact.

A: for the patch to work you need a player listed in the ConnectedPlayer section in the proper format, find a save/backup that has that person listed there and then apply it. I can almost certainly promise all of you that insist the patch isn't working aren't bothering to actually look at your .sbc file because its easier to complain than follow some pretty simple instructions.

And for the ONE of you that insists that Keen should fix this... well as I have stated a few times already THEY DID... and already corrupted data will NEVER BE FIXED!

24. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Oh. I don't mind you claim to hold the truth in your hands alone.

I took a look into the files, and everything was fine with 01.058. Then, updated to 01.059, the problem occours. No matter if it is 009 or 011.

You didn't read or understand what I stated. I put back a complete backup from 01.058.

Jip, and there was no lost ownership in 01.058.

q.e.d.

25. Apocalysse Trainee Engineer

I have posted screenshots of before and after and file backup date that prove that is BEFORE patch, IT IS NOT WORKING for me.

If someone of the staff would try with my server backup, i'll pass it to him ... Otherwise stop saying that is working by manual editing, lunar conjunction and other "seghe mentali".

26. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

It does work through manual editing, myself and many others have done it and it worked just fine, just because YOU have been unable to do it doesnt make the workaround less valid.

27. Apocalysse Trainee Engineer

You mean editing like this done with backups before patch ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just because is working for YOU, it doesn't mean that is working for all.

28. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

Did you bother to use a backup with a player already listed in the connectedplayers section? Because it kinda feels like you havent read my original post detailing the instructions. But if you want to keep arguing you can go ahead, my server is running just great using my methods, and others have had success with it as well so it is proven to work, and not just for me.

29. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Yes, of course:
    We are stupid and you are soo cute.

*pat*

Topic closed in this branch. Where's my filter list? :crazy:

30. GotLag Senior Engineer

Using Fingersniffer's instructions and Steam ID Converter (I had to look up oikabong's Steam64 ID as it wasn't included in your screenshots), from your input I produced this:
    Code:
    <ConnectedPlayers>
      <dictionary>
        <item>
          <Key xsi:type="PlayerId">
            <ClientId>76561197985498692</ClientId>
            <SerialId>0</SerialId>
          </Key>
          <Value xsi:type="MyObjectBuilder_Player">
            <DisplayName>oikabong</DisplayName>
            <IdentityId>144127272799124964</IdentityId>
          </Value>
        </item>
      </dictionary>
    </ConnectedPlayers>

Is that what you tried?

If you can't learn to read something as straightforward as XML you don't really have any place as a server admin.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.