Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.060] Rotors shaking very violently until they explode

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Claxus, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Claxus Trainee Engineer

Kind of a shame that rotors were supposed to be stabilized, but now they're worse than ever for me. I know it's an old issue, but I can't work around it at all now. I was used to rotors having some random little spazzes. As soon as I start up my ship this time, its rotors start shaking and wobbling, and as I move around it starts becoming ridiculously violent like a wild animal going nuts to break off its leash. Sometimes they'll blow off instantly when I move. Tried changing the displacement, but every setting of the slider is the same. These are ships that worked fine in previous versions of the game. But with latest version now it's completely out of control.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  2. Phand Master Engineer

Hi,

this is very important - please send me the world I will show it to the programmer. He can fix it there. Thank you for report and sorry for the trouble.

3. Thrace Trainee Engineer

I can concur with this. My station elevator running on rotors shakes so much more than it did before, basically having now shaken itself off its axis; will likely be a complete tear down and rebuild here pretty soon. The rotors definitely seem less stable.
    As a note, since it's an elevator, I am not using upper or lower limits, so no effect from that bug to account for.

4. Hugo_the_Dwarf Trainee Engineer

Just a little curious have you tried to lower the torque to see if the shaking/spazzing stops or subsides? It seems the patch just made rotors have more power (which I guess they were suppose to have in the first place) but the rest of it's variables weren't updated 100%?
    Could just be rotors going all out when they don't need to (before the patch you had to have them maxxed out to even hope for results)

5. Claxus Trainee Engineer

Here's the world:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=338229948

It's mostly all mechs, which are made up of tons of rotors, so I'm not too surprised it's buggy, but it's really bad now. Just turning on a ship and moving it will make the rotors go crazy.

Actually, it only happens with a few of them, but some still shake a tiny bit.

The giant red mech and the smaller version next to it (they have surfboards) have the big problem. The smaller blue one (standing in between two others) also has severe issues. The white one next to it, and the black and red mech in the corner shake visibly, but it doesn't affect them much. Interestingly, the orange mech doesn't have the issue at all! It uses very similar structure to the blue one, but it has more rotors than any of my builds.

The issue isn't a problem for any of the red mechs on the other side of the station. They're more simplistic builds. So I assume the problem comes from making 'chains' of rotors, like arms and legs. But I can't understand why some are less affected than others, because some have near-identical build structure.

P.S. Lowering the torque (to almost none) does stop the shaking, but I have to lower it to the point that the attached parts just flail around as I move.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  6. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

Rotors and Pistons have been almost 100% useless since day one in MP/DS, is Keen ever going to ACTUALLY fix these? I mean its been like 6+ months... it would be pretty nice to use them in MP/DS instead of only dreaming about it or starting up in SP. I cant tell how how mad it makes me to watch, week after week go by, and two of the oldest problems go unfixed...
    Yes, there have been attempts to fix... not one has worked in MP/DS.. it's getting pretty old that such a major component of the game is unusable for the vast majority of your player base (You know, since most people are playing MP/DS)

7. GotLag Senior Engineer

8. Claxus Trainee Engineer

Edited the title, this is still a thing in the latest version...

Also, on world load, some of my creations start making lots of crashing noises, and when the screen starts up they're drifting into space, some with rotors spazzing out, some even breaking apart.

9. LaForge Apprentice Engineer

[056]i have 3 rotors enabled, 1 seperate rotor works fine. The other 2 rotors that are sticked on eachother go nuts.
    (didnt have the issue before)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2014
  10. Fus Apprentice Engineer

My rotors do not observe their upper / lower limits, they just stop where they please.

11. Hugo_the_Dwarf Trainee Engineer

Just thought I'd repost this here as the issue is still in 1.056

12. Iks Trainee Engineer

I set the torque to 100k and breaking torque to 10k and they stop spazzing. Also they stick to the upper and lower limits then. Before on multiplayer my solar array whacked me like a baseball and killed me.

13. Claxus Trainee Engineer

Unfortunately my designs need the torque and braking force, or they flop around too much. The rotors stop shaking if I lower them, but it has to be like all the way to 1/4 of the slider.

14. Shinzo Trainee Engineer

Spoted this too today so confirmed.
    Other odd thing is that the fix for rotors ignoring limits seems to apply only for new rotors that were placed after patch but even they aren't consistent in working properly :/ The old ones still ignores the limits that were working before just fine. Maybe I could rise up breaking torque a bit but I'm affraid to do that. It could easily rip my design into pieces, because it did that once today, when I loaded the map earlier.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014
  15. Thrace Trainee Engineer

Yes, this is terribly broken. The before-the-patch rotors completely ignored the limits. Now, I can get the limits to be respected with using low torque, but then the rotors can't move anything of weight. If you add more torque, they rip the attached right off the rotor and damage everything around it.

Rotors are almost entirely worthless until this is fixed. I still remember when they worked great, let's get back to that!

16. kittle Senior Engineer

I havent seen my rotors ignoring limits - but the same rotor is now shaking up & down where it did not used to. it moves fine, but the up/down vibration/shaking has me worried it will eventually hit something.
    breaking torque and regular torque are both maxed out.

17. Hugo_the_Dwarf Trainee Engineer

I found adding some gyros seems to help this issue a bit. I posted a link to my creative world where I have a crane. If you extend the piston (in 1.056) it shakes so bad it rips the platform off (the 3 piston base) and flys into space like a maimed bird.
    Placing some gyros on the base stopped this from happening, unfortunately Rotor Piston to Rotor still creates an infinite spin.

18. MegaMiner Junior Engineer

The problem appears to be that the physics engine uses perfectly elastic collision. This is particularly noticeable with tire collisions on one of my older designs. Since blocks have no give, any small oscillations caused by small floating point errors (granularity) build up into destruction harmonics. I think a kludge would be to reduce elasticity to 99%

19. Thrace Trainee Engineer

The attach/detach function created a new bug. The rotor part stretches and compresses against the rotor hub, so anytime the rotor is moving (attached to piston, simply being on a ship), applying a force in the opposite direction (dampeners) will cause the rotor head to 'stretch' out, then snap back over and over, causing a ton of collateral damage.

Torque also behaves entirely differently than it used to. If you max torque now, with any amount of weight/size attached to the rotor, it the attached body will rip itself off the rotor. Set the torque too low, and the thing doesn't even move.

Rotors worked rather well before the sound modding patch, and they been borked ever since.

20. deltaflyer4747 Apprentice Engineer

Is this dual rotor setup (aka one rotor at each end of a hinge)? If so (but not only), try to lower the offset by 20 (aka -40 is now properly "aligned") as they bugged-in 20cm space between adjacent block and rotor head.

21. Olitsch Trainee Engineer

i've noticed that this problem appears very often, if you place two rotors on a moveable object. Like a Ship or on a piston at a station.

I don't have a world where this is an actual problem, cause i have rebuild everything, but i hope this can maybe help your programmers to fix this.

Hope it will fixed soon. :)

22. Claxus Trainee Engineer

... No change? Loaded up my world and all my mechs will still having seizures and exploding.

So is it actually fixed or what? Am I going to have to recreate all my ships for the new rotor stuff to take effect or something?

This has been happening for about a month now and I'm getting frustrated I still can't really play... Rotors were a bit unstable before but they never vibrated to death.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  23. deltaflyer4747 Apprentice Engineer

imho related to a rotor gap, if you can, try to adjust your offset by -20cm and see if it helps

24. Claxus Trainee Engineer

I did that, and it doesn't seem to help...

25. deltaflyer4747 Apprentice Engineer

hmm... another known problem - isn't what is attached touching other blocks? aka blast door vs regular armor ?

26. LankyThumbs Trainee Engineer

Same here. Loaded my game and my advanced rotors exploded, splitting my ship into 3 pieces.

27. Claxus Trainee Engineer

Nope, there's some space between every attached part so they don't touch each other when moving.

I don't think it's really related to any issues like that, it seems people are getting it with a lot of different situations. I suspect it may have to do with using parallel rotors on two sides of a ship, as that's the only correlation I've seen so far, but that's just a hypothesis. I guess we'll just have to hope for the hotifx, or go yet another week with broken rotors...

What's the design of the rotors on the ship like?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  28. deltaflyer4747 Apprentice Engineer

You mean something like this?
    [​IMG]

29. -=MadCat=- Trainee Engineer

Long time reader, now it's time to post, hi everyone!

In line with the exploding advanced rotors I wanted to make a new report but this situation seems to be similar.
    I can only talk about advanced rotors for small ships, never used them for big ones yet.

With todays update the displacement was changed.

First off, they do not extend as far any more as they used to.
    Before, they were 2 blocks tall with 0 displacement, now they are exactly 2 blocks tall when fully extended.

Second thing, they default to 0 displacement upon loading a world.

That may be the issues why the rotors are exploding.
    They destroy most of my more complex designs now, which are on a halt for 3 weeks already due to rotor limits, and now even this...

Greetings
    MadCat

30. LankyThumbs Trainee Engineer

Nothing complex. Rotor on the side of the ship to rotate between tools. They're even switched off by a timer block when not in use.

A piston with a camera on it shook itself apart as well. I don't think I'll be saving my game.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.