Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

1.066 (and beyond?) 64bit DS, the infamous creeping ore bug, now on video!--CONFIRMED and ticketed!

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Ulfsark, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ulfsark Master Engineer

They say a picture is worth a thousand words....well, here's a moving picture.
    I especially like the part where i drop the ore INTO the "stream" ....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE-Sst6_O4w

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
  2. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

Video is marked private

3. Ulfsark Master Engineer

DOH! how about now?

4. deltaflyer4747 Apprentice Engineer

i noticed, that this happens when the ore gets caught in the collision box of the asteroid.

5. ScriptyNoob Apprentice Engineer

Collision bug, very old... trouble to determine it... because is floating bug. I sometimes have this bug, but rarely and randomly.

6. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Bumping this thread in hopes Phand will see it and not ignore like last tuesday....also posting its companion thread, which has another video which may have useful info for the Devteam: http://forums.keenswh.com/post/random-gravity-affects-ore-bits-and-character-7233222?highlight=gravity&pid=1286043474#post1286043474
    As far as I'm aware, these are still present

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  7. Naut Apprentice Engineer

Bumping this

here is my thread about it:

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/01068008survivalmining-with-ships-or-handdrill-get-you-sucked-into-the-roidwall-7287702?pid=1286114228#post1286114228

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  8. Ulfsark Master Engineer

bumpity bump

9. Kobura Trainee Engineer

I've had this happen and have no idea what it is or what to do about it.

10. Callous1970 Trainee Engineer

This happened to me tonight, and now my character can no longer move. I can rotate around, but not move in any direction, even after suiciding and respawning at my medbay. I gave up on that and respawned in an escape pod, and the escape pod won't move with me in it, either. I can get in and out of it, just not move.

11. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Adding to the list of evidence...
    http://forums.keenswh.com/post/dedicated-server-v1-069-012-ore-in-gravitational-field-behaves-creepy-and-destructive-7298380?pid=1286208608#post1286208608

12. Ulfsark Master Engineer

and more ...
    http://forums.keenswh.com/post/random-gravity-affects-ore-bits-and-character-7233222?highlight=gravity&pid=1286043474#post1286043474

13. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

I've noticed this in SP survival (several game versions). The 'creeping' behavior seems to be consistent with a continuous low speed collision between a floating object and a stationary one. When a floating object collides at low speed with a stationary object, it normally enters an 'at rest' state. In contrast, the 'creeping' state we've seen could be explained if the floating object is experiencing a collision with every world tick. For some reason, the net vector of these collisions has a +X component, giving the objects their signature creep.

In all fairness, these kinds of bugs are notoriously hard to pin down. This particular bug is probably rare enough that Keen can ignore it forever.

14. Ulfsark Master Engineer

bump.....

15. Lukas Designer

Hello, thank you for the report, but we need more info. Could you please add description of the bug?

16. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Did you watch the videos?
    Basically, at certain places within an asteroid, i'm not even sure if its all of them or not, but at certain areas the ore you are mining will start to "flow" in a direction NOT in line with gravity. The character can get stuck in this "flow" and will move with it, typcially the ore will crush the player and they will die (you can see my corpse in my video). Changing gravity has no effect. It also seems that the ore can sometimes pass through the asteroid rock wall, i could have sworn i saw it appearing through the rock. (EDIT: Yes, as soon as my video starts, you can see ore suddenly spawning out of nowhere) Ore dropped (via gravity) into the stream will then become part of the flow.
    And thank you for acknowledging this, sincerely thank you. Later today i'll try and find one in single player, that way i can even post a log file, in case that helps, and I'll have the debug wire frame things on once I find it.... As i said before, i'm not expecting a fix right away, i KNOW you guys have other stuff to deal with, I KNOW this is alpha. I know this isn't game breaking, but it certainly is WEIRD.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  17. Callous1970 Trainee Engineer

I had this crop up on a second Solo Survivor playthrough today. It blew up my large ship miner that I had just spent a few hours building. So, yes, this can be game breaking.

As Ulfsark said, the small, loose globules of ore that get kicked up while mining will sometimes start "flowing" all in one direction regardless of the local gravity field. If your character gets too close to these they can kill you, and I've seen more than once that if they get lodged in the nooks and crannies of a mining ship they will simply tear through the ship to keep moving. When this is happening the ship will usually begin an unstoppable roll in one direction until the ore glob tears its way through. Sometimes this just means a few missing external pieces. Today for me it meant the complete destruction of a large ship miner that I was testing. http://i.imgur.com/uGEuQI0.png I am assuming that a thruster next to one of the reactors exploded as the ore tore through it, and the resulting explosions blew the ship apart.

This has happened in ever playthrough that I've played. This is not an uncommon bug.

18. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Callous, can you please publish that world to steam and post the link?

19. Lukas Designer

Hi, thank you for the description.. so ores defy gravity and tear their way through everything.
    I tried to reproduce, but it isn't happening.. could you post a world file, where this is happening? Thank you.

20. Ulfsark Master Engineer

As I said, its not something that can be reliably reproduced, I tried digging my way through several asteroids in SP and got zip, nadda, nothing. That's why I want Callous to post his world. I even tried doing what someone suggested of having overlapping asteroids but that did nothing either. Its an F'ing pain in the butt is what this bug is. Believe me, next time i come across it, unless callous posts that world, i'm gonna beg the admin to publish the world give me the link for you guys.

21. Majikmushi Trainee Engineer

Yay someone finally captured the "Haunted" Ore problem, This has been around for ages now - I thought it had been fixed until last night.

Basically the ore has a mind of it's own - it ignores gravity (will go wherever it want's) and stars moving slowly until it gets stuck in a corner or edge - where it then squezes between blocks and continues floating along. if you stand in the way of the ore and let it touch you, it will either push you around or make you get stuck where you are - and sometimes it will just crush you. If you pick up the ore then weird stuff happens to the player movement (you can only turn 1 direction and move backwards) until you drop it. I still don't know what the trigger is - as it does tend to happen randomly while mining etc - and once it happens in an area, it usually will keep happening in that area - On one map there was a roid that was haunted, didn't matter who was at it but the problem kept happening at it in particular.

Also sometimes the ore will embed itself into mining ships - by clipping into the ship and then trying to drag the ship with it making it shake violently.

I found nothing in my Logs.

P.S I have spoken to most the regulars on my server and they have ALL experienced it in some form.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  22. Jikanta Apprentice Engineer

This looks just like a bug that used to happen in SecondLife which also uses Havok physics.

23. Razapheal Trainee Engineer

I've been having this bug off and on for the past hour or two, I've seem to tied it to a certain source, testing it a few times before I can say anything definitive.

24. Razapheal Trainee Engineer

Collecting Ore from the base of my Spherical Gravity Generator has caused this issue, reloaded to test again.

25. Razapheal Trainee Engineer

Reproduced without collecting ore, simply turning the generator on has worked.

26. Razapheal Trainee Engineer

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lzf72020cj78l52/AAAtwwsIK2MrOOzHjLhTpTlPa?dl=0

World save file, just flip on the generator you spawn in looking at. Ore should start tugging towards the wall opposite the blast doors.

27. Razapheal Trainee Engineer

Replaced dropbox world with a more reliable setup. Again, just hop in, flip on the generator, and watch it go.

EDIT: If it doesn't happen immediately, either wait about a minute or reload and try again. It's been happening about 9 times out of 10 on my end.

28. Ulfsark Master Engineer

For ease, i published this onto steam.
    Razapheal, THANK YOU SO FREAKING MUCH FOR THIS!!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=397392871

Lukas, HERE is the creeping ore bug! Have at it! Just turn on the spherical generator.
    Also, JUST FOR THE RECORD, this happens with Regular gravity generators as well, and even without them turned on at all.

29. Lukas Designer

Thank you very much guys, i managed to reproduce this today. I report it further and we will fix it in the future.
    Thank you for helping us make the game better!

30. Ulfsark Master Engineer

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now, just one last question; WTF WAS HAPPENING!? Why was it doing that?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.