Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.076] Small Ship Air Vent no longer working

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by SEModder4, Apr 3, 2015.

?

Should Keen Re-add the Small Ship Oxygen Systems

Poll closed May 12, 2015.
  1. YES, it should be Re-implemented back into the game for Small Ships

81 vote(s)
    94.2%
  2. no, it should not be available for small ships.--don't choose this one!!!

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

When the Oxygen System was released I made the whole system: Oxygen Generator/ Oxygen Storage Tank and the Air Pressurizer for Small ships as part of my Small Ship Mega Mod Pack that is on the Steam Workshop.

Prior to today's update it worked perfectly, I can say I am certain I had Oxygen enabled in World Settings and had everything connected all properly but the Red/Yellow/Green lights on the air vent stayed Red even with a completely closed box.

I spent hours not to mention days making the whole Oxygen system for small ships only to have it all thrown away in today's update :(

Please fix this Keen :)

Here is the Mod I put the Small Ship Oxygen System in to make it much easier for the Devs. :)

Small Ship Mega Mod Pack

• Like Like x 1
  2. kalanosh Trainee Engineer

Makes sense. They added Oxygen Tanks and Generator for small ships. Air Vent for small ships are not supported. As it being and easier thing to create after they did the other too I'd assume its a design decision. Either way you should talk to the modder as he is the one who created the connections for the air vent for small ships, if its broke the modder needs to fix i not Keen.

3. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

I am the uploader and creator of the small ship mega mod pack. :)

I checked if I was missing any lines of code for the air vent and I'm not, it worked prior to the patch so obviously something went wrong.

I did not steal another modder's air vent for my small ship mod pack as I did it all myself.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  4. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

5. kalanosh Trainee Engineer

Not implying you stole. Thought a modders mod broke and you went to keen. But your a modder and its seems the update broke it. Got it, sorry for misunderstanding.

6. Phand Master Engineer

Hi SEBuilder!

Of course I remember you. ;) And sadly yes, I have to inform you that air vents for small ships are not supported. :( Thank you for the report, though.

7. Eikester Apprentice Engineer

is there any reason for this move?

8. Phand Master Engineer

Yes, it is not needed. The oxygen is working in cockpit only. So no need to pressurize/pressurize large rooms with vent.

9. Eikester Apprentice Engineer

thats right but whats with all the large ships made out of Small Blocks on the Workshop? Many of them had Oxygen Systems and you just break them with this change? Why not leave it how it was? Its how Players want to play the Game and since you've added Modding support you should have expected someone makeing Large Blocks available for Small Grids. Why not just allow both systems? doesn't make sense to me

Edit:

with the same logic you could basically disable everything else, Doors? Who needs Doors if there is no Oxygen in Rooms? Open Cockpits? Dont allow it because we have enclosed Cockpits! And so on

Hope you get it, also dont want to sound rude but such changes for absolutely no real reason make me angry :/

• Like Like x 1
  10. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

What am I supposed to tell 54,679 people, when they ask where the Oxygen Systems went for Smalll ships and why all of their hard earned work over days/weeks/months has now exploded into tons of pieces. :(

That they removed support, I can't even imagine how PISSED they are right now at ME since I couldn't keep it working because of some end of support, how does support end for a game that's only in the alpha stage for god sake.

So now I gotta explain this to 54,679 people..........not to mention 55,000 people pissed at me for BREAKING THEIR SHIPS. :(

Edit: Make that 54,780 People now and Counting

11. TJ24 Trainee Engineer

Hello Phand,

I wanted to say that I can understand your choice to don't implement support for the small ship air vent from an developer point of view. You want the game to run as smoothly as possible, and thus you don't want to run any unnecessary algorithms, because that might affect performance.

On the other hand I also want to say that I still agree with SEBuilder4 and Eikester. A lot of players make "small ships gone large" so to say, take a small transport ship or most medium sized ships (which are often made out of small ships for the sake of detail) for example.

So what I would suggest would be to keep the current implementation of connecting cockpits with the oxygen systems on board for small ships and the air vent only for large ships, but allow modders (like for example SEBuilder4 from the Small Ship Mega Mod pack) to implement a small ship air vent for the players that want to build those detailed medium sized kind of ships, in a similar way modders have made small ship versions of refineries, assemblers, doors etc.

That way the people who want to make those medium sized ships have the possibility to implement a small ship air vent when they want to, but because it isn't in the main game it also won't influence the performance of the game for people who don't want to build those kind of medium sized ships.

I hope my suggestion is helpful and that you might be able to do something with it.

12. Attila the Huney Badger Trainee Engineer

Just wanted to say that I second what the others have said. Many players, such as myself, build 'larger' ships out of small ship blocks. The added complexity and compact-ness of a small ship interior has many advantages over its large ship counterpart. Thus, I would also like to see a return of the small ship oxygen system. If you please :)

Attila

13. Error_404 Trainee Engineer

@Phand

I fully agree with SEBuilder4. I personally build "medium" ships and have gone so far as to build small stations out of small grid blocks. In ending support for small ship air vents, Keenswh have rendered several weeks of work irrelevant. As @TJ24 stated above, I can understand the need for stability. However, in removing support for vents, you are also limiting the creativity of the player base. Specifically 54,729 at current standing.

@SEBuilder4 I have used your mods since the day you uploaded them. And, I will continue to use your mods regardless of the outcome. You do great work. Thank you for taking the time to make these awesome mods.

14. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

@Error_404,

Thanks, I enjoy modding a lot and making people happy and seeing the creations people make using the mods makes me happy and keeps me going each time. :D

15. HoY Apprentice Engineer

So, its by design that you can have passenger seats on small ships in vanilla, but have NO way to survive in them? Small ships dont ONLY have enclosed cockpits. You arent just limiting what size class of ships are allowed to have interiors that you can survive in, you are limiting hopw people play in a sandbox game. Imposing limits where they dont need to be due to engine limitations is going in the complete opposite direction you should be.

16. Eikester Apprentice Engineer

17. The Peterson Trainee Engineer

Hi,

With respect, that's not really the case. I understand the separation that was originally intended between large ships/stations and small ships, and for the vanilla game that's absolutely fine. However, it's a real shame to take away the possibility for a mod to allow small ships to have an internal atmosphere when that was previously possible, as it results in disappointing both players and mod builders who enjoy stretching the possibilities of this great game.

Speaking from a personal point of view, I really hope you guys reconsider and allow this aspect of SEBuilder4's mod to work again, because I've just finished laying down the keel of a small-ship-gone-large and I'd spent ages trying to get the structure of the glass cockpit just as I wanted it and made it airtight... :)

[​IMG]

18. Eikester Apprentice Engineer

Just noticed:
    thats from the yesterday patch notes, definitely misleading if you in the same step disable the possibility to have Small Ship Air Vents

19. plaYer2k Master Engineer

I can certainly agree with the other member and modder here.
    Removing possibilities for mods is a very bad decision. Not adding such a feature for vanilla blocks is fine but removing the possibility for everyone through rendering that ability impossible is not.

Mods are meant to give people a choice of how to play and add features to the game that were not there before.
    Removing that ability is a huge feature breaker for the whole modding community.

I really hope that "decision" gets reconsidered.

20. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

even stock small ships all need rework now, you should probably expect hurdles when doing a heavily modded ship like that.
    every other week survival changes now.. don't get so invested! I feel ya tho.

21. Grue42 Trainee Engineer

I'm honestly confused about this decision.. Was the functionality removed because it conflicts with the new air setup or is it just that the Devs don't see it as important for the game?

I would argue that having pressurized areas on small ships is more important than having planets. Many people already design small ships as if they had pressurized areas, even before the O2 patch. I like the way air is setup on small ships now, but I feel as if it should be in addition, not the sole way to set them up..

If it will just never work correctly and be stable, thats fine, I'd just love to hear the reasoning behind it. But maybe thats expecting too much?

22. Shabazza Junior Engineer

I totally agree on that.
    I found out about the small ship mega modpack 3 days ago by browsing the workshop and was
    absolutely astonished to now be able to pressurize my small ships and have basicly the same possibilities as with the large ships.
    And now the small air vent is non-functional. :(

If it was not a technical but only an opinion-based decision, I would like to see this functionality back in the game.
    Let people enjoy a sandbox game like they want as much as possible, please.

23. DeputyLOL Trainee Engineer

I've spent way longer than I should have working on a 'medium' ship with a fully functioning airlock and internal pressure systems, as of Thursdays update Keen basically went: 'Nope!'
    I can understand removing it from the game for performance purposes but don't remove the support for it. You say that 'It is not needed', in vanilla SE that may be true as we can't really build pressurised small ships anyway, but what about the modders? People build 'medium' ships because big ship interiors are awfully bare as there is no block inside block building, and using small ship blocks allows for much greater detail. Either add features for us to build the ships we want or let the modders allows to. I think SEBuilder4 and Eikester spent a lot of time working on that modpack + all the people who made small pressurised ships and now all that time is wasted and effort!
    You don't need to put small ship air vents into the game, but don't block the modders from doing it either.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

Exactly,

I bet one of the developers at Keen had a different choice when asked to keep or get rid of the small ship air vent and probably a majority vote decision.

It's a shame that all that work gets thrown away like nothing ever happened, if they remove the ability for small ship doors/ assembler/ refinery/ blast furnace I don't know what I will do.

I am so frustrated right now i'ts unimaginable!!

Edit: Were now up to 54,877 people who WANT the Small Ship Air Vent system reinstated!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  25. Numb_McShouty Trainee Engineer

What is the actual reason for removing the support? The "it is not needed" excuse is complete bull. It was working, it should work, because it doesn't throw off balance, and I didn't have any performance issues with it on my toaster of a computer, so why has it suddenly become unnecessary? By removing it, you're not only limiting functionality of the oxygen systems in the game, you're reducing it. We had it, and now we don't. Unless there is viable and understandable justification for the removal of small ship oxygen functionality (this reason has not been provided as of yet), there is no reason to place limits on what can be built in the game or on what can be done.

I'll reverence the workshop for a few examples of the ships in question.

Transport ship "Condor" by Tartaross

The "Falcon S-F" by ScotsDragon

Both of these are small ships with interior space. While the falcon has a piston ramp that doesn't fully seal, I think that it still demonstrates the point. With the current modding environments, small ships have more potential than just a machine with a cockpit.

26. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

How did I not find that Transport ship on the workshop? :O
    Sorry got wowed by the interior and exterior design of it.

Edit: Were now up to 54,927 people who WANT the Small Ship Air Vent system reinstated!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  27. Aeries Trainee Engineer

I'm in agreement that internal oxygen systems are fairly important in SE, especially through the excellent mod being mentioned. Literally I'd built a very detailed "nostromo-like" bridge interior and spent a lot of time on it; oxygen worked beautifully and I had no noticeable performance hit on my little laptop... I was quite happy. Then all of a sudden the game updated out of nowhere and everything broke... After much digging, I came across the comments on the mod and this thread; I feel like a painter that just had his favorite brush taken away.

I'd be very happy to see this functionality return; I generally dislike building on large grids as I simply can't accomplish the same level of detail that I can on small grids... to me, it's like World of Warcraft vs. Crysis 3... there's no comparison as far as environment detail goes.

I sincerely hope the devs redeploy this functionality; I believe pressurizing rooms and areas is much needed beyond the cockpit; for one example... pressurizing a cargo hold? Just a thought... I think immersion has been really negatively affected by removing this feature.

28. SpaceOverlord Trainee Engineer

Is there a poll for this?
    If so, can someone post a link?

29. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

@SpaceOverlord,

I have created a poll for you all to use, maybe this will prove to Keen just how much we WANT that feature back in the game, it is such a VITAL feature for the game.

Imagine if real life oxygen was removed because it was no longer supported, we would all be dead, think of it that way Keen.

Just admit you guys jumped the gun and didn't realize that people make small ships that are large ship to walk around on because making large ships you need to have a lot of stuff to fill in the empty spaces or it makes the ship look empty and weird.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (This is supposed to be my signature section, but I guess it's broken)

My best large ship I have ever built a 10+ month project.---

30. TumbleTV Trainee Engineer

Of course this is needed, there are so many people building "large" small ships that could use the air vents. There are in fact people only playing this game to build small ships, and now you're taking away something very important for them by removing the possibility to use air vents on small ships. KEEN says anything can be modded, by doing this you kind of go against yourself.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.