Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.084+] [SP/MP] Memory leak and other problems while mining? (screenshots step by step)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by francogp, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. francogp Apprentice Engineer

Hello,

------------ FIRST PROBLEM ------------------
    There is a serious problem while mining with drills. My fps drop to 10 (normally 50-60) and after I finish the process, all the game starf stuttering for 20-30 mins or until I restart the world. I can't run or move the mouse to see, because of that stuttering problem. It looks like a memory leak.

Proof:

1) Fresh S.E start: Look at FPS AND RAM
    [​IMG]

2) Start drilling: Look at FPS
    [​IMG]

3) 2 minutes later.. ram increased:
    [​IMG]

4) I stop Drillong... look at FPS
    [​IMG]

5) Drilling 15-20 min (ram increase)
    [​IMG]

6) More ram later (10 min)
    [​IMG]

7) then, it begin to STUTTER a LOT, so I start to return home (FPS said 60, but I can barely move the mouse because of visual stutter/lag). RAM increased
    [​IMG]

8) 10 km later, at home, the ram keep at high rates, and with UNPLEYABLE stutters (the FPS are wrong!)
    [​IMG]

9) I restart the world because of the sutter (note the ram)
    [​IMG]

10) after reloading, the ram keeps at high rates, but the sututter is gone.
    [​IMG]

Tested and reproduced on SP and MP.

------------ SECOND PROBLEM ------------------
    The second problem is the invisible wall you crush while mining (by hand or ships). It took almost 3-5 seconds to the game to realize that a block of asteroid was mined. The drilling process is reduced by 5-10 times since this bug.

------------ THIRD PROBLEM ------------------
    When I'm mining, sometime the ship start to turn to right without control and it start to CLIP through objects and asteroids for 3-6 seconds, and then it realize the collision and start to crash and explode the parts involved in the clipping.

My dxdiag

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. Fishkaras Trainee Engineer

I also noticed this problem with dedicated server.

Server does not usually take more than 1,4GB virtual and 0,7GB working memory.

When someone starts mining, server quickly consumes more than 8 gigabytes and crashes.

3. bluecape Trainee Engineer

ive noticed this too but was unsure what it was but now i know. orginnaly i thought it was one of my mods i use from the workshop but now i know

4. SpaceEngy Trainee Engineer

I had the same kind of problem, not during mining but after i stopped and flew away to the next asteroid, i started to get heavy lag, was only flying forward with inertia off.

SP, Version 1.081, Windows 8 64bit, 16 GB RAM, i7 4790

5. requiemfang Trainee Engineer

Can confirm this as well, just finished a mining run and had this happen.

6. CombatWombat Trainee Engineer

There really needs to be a sticky "Consolidated Mining Bugs" thread at the top of this forum.

This particular one has been around since 1.074.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bluecape Trainee Engineer

yeah but this one i never had a problem with till recently

8. bronto1111 Trainee Engineer

Has any developer acknowledged they are working on these mining issues? Are these local issues or are a lot of people experiencing them? If a lot of people were having the issues I thought I would see more posts on the subject.

9. Andrey Trainee Engineer

I think that destructors do not work.

Low memory for add object.
    [​IMG]
    After exit to main window with save - I try load world :
    Memory limit on load world - same objects do not load
    [​IMG]
    World was empty on load and save corrupt (because world on first seconds always save after load, but world corrupted).

How i do it - Load world, mining 5-10 min , exit from world to main window with save - repeat ~5 times .

10. viper312005 Trainee Engineer

I've have tested this problem and its been happening since 1.079 update, though I haven't had my memory max out when it does happen so that is unconfirmed for me. Mostly my sim speed and FPS and UPS is heavily affected. It only happens when you mine INSIDE an asteroid. Surface mining is unaffected (it was for me anyways). It effects single player also. The problem happens after you leave the asteroid while the ore is bouncing around inside. About 500m-1,000m away, give or take. But, you can just return to the asteroid and as soon as you get close enough, the lag stops and everything is back to normal while you are close enough to the asteroid. I have seen this in a reddit thread also. http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengine...tremely_laggy_simulation_after_latest_update/
    So I set my floating objects to 64 to compensate this problem. Though, the problem is still there but is not near as bad. But, you can just mine the surface of the asteroid for a bit to despawn the ore thats floating around inside the asteroid. So how do you tell everyone that joins your server to do all this.......let me know lol.

11. bronto1111 Trainee Engineer

Anyone noticed if mining has been fixed with today's update? Mining thus survival has been unplayable since this issue.

12. Cassey Apprentice Engineer

13. francogp Apprentice Engineer

I add lots of screenshot reproducing the problem step by step.
    Did the screenshot help? or you (devs) needs a video?

PD: Thanks for the awesome game

14. francogp Apprentice Engineer

Another "related" issue, is that every +-20 min that I try to mine... and I use alt to change my point of view, the ship start to frenetically turn to the right and crash everything (asteroids included) until the energy source is killed. I can reproduce the issue in every game I play, so it's not so difficult to reproduce.

15. demolish50 Senior Engineer

confirmed

16. Phand Master Engineer

Hi,

I took a look at this, but forgot to reply. I cannot reproduce it, however I will test more since there are more people reporting it.

17. francogp Apprentice Engineer

ALL the problem continues, and I add a third problem to the OP:
    When I'm mining, sometime the ship start to turn to right without control and it start to CLIP through objects and asteroids for 3-6 seconds, and then it realize the collision and start to crash and explode the parts involved in the clipping.

18. SpaceEngy Trainee Engineer

I can confirm that the mining leak is still there after the last patch, Francogp, I don't have the other two problems though. (atleast not yet ;) )

19. francogp Apprentice Engineer

don't you have de bouncy mining problem?? all of us have it. In previous patches (1.07 max) you could mine at a constant rate without stop, and now you can't.
    And there's a patch on github to solve this, so its definitely a present bug. I wonder how do you manage to avoid that problem...

20. Aequoris Trainee Engineer

I can also confirm this problem.

21. LionLord Trainee Engineer

So let me see if i understand this.
    I play Star Citizen , crysis 1,2,3 ultra setings and alot of other games just like this other i mentioned.
    Space Engineers runs just as fine as the above but needs to be carfully lowered in all settings including graphic card.
    I forgot to mention Eve online massive pvp and i mean more than 500 ships in my view range all shoting each other massive epic fights

The problem is with SE :

All the games above never in any case any case turns my computer above 60 to 65º C in cpu and same applys to GPU.
    In SE no mods normal installe no extra stuff only official stuff. i create a world with the lowest possible settings in every aspect of it. what happens is this:

1- After entering world CPU and GPU temp rises to 60º to 62º and stays there.
    2- Start moving around rises to 65 to 66 if i stop moving again it gos back to 60º 62º C.
    3- Drilling < LOOL handing drill, temp rises to 65º C with 1 piston and 1 drill just to test it without a ship temp rises above 70ºC in cpu and 75ºC in GPU.
    4- If i do place more drills in a ship or whatever , more than 3 temps rises to 80 85º C and putting 4 and minning with them my shuts down at 90ºC.

And just to point out that i dont even build a base just using what lone surviver map got.

So the question is, what is the problem? for any reason the game appear to have a real hard time to process small actions like drilling and approching stuff or basecly everything.

So please stop adding more new stuff and just focus in code optimization and how data is processed , and one more thing, single core ?!... right.

This game is amazing, but will never be a game or ME there are alot of things that you guys just skipped in order to create a game, like everyone else this days, just grafics and grafics and stuff that should be developed after THE CORE mechanics and general architeture of the game is finished, you guys are trying to avoid to remake this fact.

And please dont tell me to check ventilations and or that and this and that, the problem is the game no anyone's computer as i said i play other games just as i mentioned.
    The game is in alpha ? right so try to develp it as such , no new items and stuff or features no, CORE and computations maths algorithms general archiqueture ONLY.

Just buy this game some 5 days ago , and already stoped playing it because of that fact alon, insane temps without reason. i will check it out later when you guys release a patch regarding this and post the results after.

Thanks...

22. MiChAeLoKGB Junior Engineer

Well its weird, I have no temps problems when playing SE even for 8+ hours non stop. There is only one game that managed to get my GPU to 80°C (normally im about 70°C at full load in game) and its Killing Floor 2.

What you should actually say if you want to post a bug report about this are your PC specs :)

What is you GPU? I have AMD R9 290 Vapor-X and it runs just fine...

Ps.: Apha means adding new stuff to game, new blocks, new featuers etc. You are mistaking Apha and Beta phases.

Ps.2: This should be in a separate thread, not in this one.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Pingger Trainee Engineer

Seems that THIS is your problem
    All the mentioned are optimzed for better performance. since the're in BETA(Optimizing phase) or already released.
    Especially for EVE: Released, only Graphics is calculated on your PC (the servers compute), In such big battles the Simulation speed is slowed down, +EVE has already more than 10 years of development.

No shit? It's in ALPHA: Planning, Featuredevolpment and engine devolpment phase.

Seems to be a problem with your PC.
    Mine keeps at 40°C to 50°C no matter how many drills or Physics objects I use.
    PS: CPU: FX-6100, RAM:16GB DDR3, GPU1: GTX 770 OC, GPU2: GTX 560 TI OC

A known bug on which the devs are working

Greetings
    Pingger

PS:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  24. MinhoA7 Trainee Engineer

25. FoxTech Trainee Engineer

I'm praying that today's patch addresses this issue. We've gone as far as creating a new world, load our platforms/ships in from the old and the UPS drops immediately someone starts mining for everyone on the dedicated server. 01_083_009

26. Arturius1967 Trainee Engineer

Yeah, is one of the most annoying bugs at this time, after the "cockpit exit death" ;)

I had this already many time, easy to reproduce:

1. just fly inside big asteroid ( many of them has tunnels, big holes inside), them drill a bit, so you have about 10k of any Ore.
    2. Then fly away from this asteroid, after some distance, the game beginns to stutter and is getting unplayable.

Save and Reload fix this, but is boring after each Drill-time.

• Like Like x 1
  27. francogp Apprentice Engineer

all the problems continue on 1.084

28. Chaotic_Knightmare Trainee Engineer

Would like to add an issue me and a few friends are having on a dedicated server, sorry if this has been posted somewhe else but i have found nothing on it. While mining the drills will randomly vanish without any indication of damage, the part that is confusing is that they do not have to be anywhere near the asteroid. We have tested with stock drills and modded drills with enhanced mining range, and no matter how far away the drills are they still vanish shortly after starting to mine. The other wierd aspect of this is that after the drills vanish a chain reaction of damage and explosions start where the drills were mounted. This damage has spread as far as 25-30 meters into the ship with the drills only starting to enter the asteroid. This has become a serious problem as it has destroyed or mangled every miner we hav built, which puts a huge damper on gathering resources. I hope this bug has been identified and worked on.

29. kto Trainee Engineer

Would like to add that this problem still exists, we are running a dedicated server with 32gig of ram and all i have to do to reproduce this is start the server, go in my small mining ship, go to the nearest rock, start mining for 5 mins, when i start my return and get about 400m away from the rock im mining the lag starts, this is kinda gamebreaking as mining is kinda important to be able to do in survival mode. We have tried just about everything we can come up with, one thing that worked was loading a old save file from 2014, that were missing alot of the new stuff like oxygen and whatnot, but that shouldt even be a option. I can reproduce this in SP to, exact same thing happens on a vanilla setup.

*edit*

Ok, we copyed everything from config to sandbox file, loaded the old save from 2014 and we can actualy mine now without getting simulation speed down to 0.25-0.30. The only option we could`t use from the new config was "<ProceduralSeed>6463875218</ProceduralSeed>" with that the save wouldt load, when we set the value to 0 we could load the world just fine. but im guessing thats because the new world used a different seed then the old one?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  30. ouch Trainee Engineer

I think this is caused by the same problem as the floating ores bug. What seems to happen is that when the physics engine is overloaded instead of throttling it'self down to keep up. The physics just stop being calculated for that object and then it glitches out like you guys have noticed.

They really need to put priority on this bug if so. If I'm right then every object in the game can potentially be bugged to hell...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.