Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.096]Dedicated Server Mod Update Handling Issues

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by SEModder4, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

@Keen,

Visentinel has told me that it is now functioning correctly week or two ago.

@Phand,

Could you possibly confirm with the programmers or you that this issue has indeed been resolved so maybe we can close this topic please. :D

2. CheeseJedi Apprentice Engineer

Is this now fixed? If it is, that's excellent news! :)

3. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

I believe so, but that's why I am hoping Phand, Drui would confirm this so this issue could be closed. :)

4. Uri Trainee Engineer

I can tell you, as today, it is not fixed.

5. CheeseJedi Apprentice Engineer

I can confirm today that on my DS, after a restart, the reworked Armor Ramps and Armor Panels mods were both non functional (both updated within last day, or so) until the sbm files were removed from the server and re-acquired on next DS start-up.

If Steam is sending partial (delta) updates to the DS, or the DS is somehow bungling the file transfer in this situation, but handles a complete download successfully i.e. perhaps there's a difference in updating vs full download then it's possible this is a good place for the dev team to start looking.

It only seems to affect certain mods, and only sometimes, and this problem has been around for quite some time now.

I really hope this gets fixed. It would certainly make a lot of DS operators and a handful modders' lives much easier!

• Like Like x 1
  6. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

@CheeeseJedi,

I deeply apologize if your ships lost the armor ramps and panels.

All I did was add the completed construction models and changed the construction models path to use the..well construction models( of course).

This issue is REALLY getting on my nerves and I want to hope it will get fixed with either the new net code or something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CheeseJedi Apprentice Engineer

@SEBuilder4 - no worries, I'm used to this by now! Just have to remember to check placed blocks before the server does an auto-save or do a roll back to previous backup...

It doesn't sound like there were massive changes to the mod this time round (addding some MWMs and references to them) so I wonder why it screwed up again.

Also thanks for adding the construction stages for the armor panels. This feature was a key reason we used the original mod, for 'access panels' etc. so it's great to have this back! :tu:

Yes I too hope the Keen dev team get some time to look at this further. It may well be Steam CDN screwing things up. Or it might just be the DS code sometimes not handling updates as well as full downloads. Difficult to tell as it happens so infrequently.

8. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

I have never suffered this problem of dissapearing blocks. BUT, along the year my server was up I noticed a disturbing sync problem.
    Case 1: A mod is deleted while the server is online. This makes all clients unable to join the server until the server is restarted after the mod is removed. (not that much of a problem really)
    Case 2: A mod is updated while the server is online.
    Since there is no versioning with steam mods, this causes that clients download the latest verision while the server still has the old version in memory. This could lead to several desync problems.

I think the code needs to do some verifications to prevent this scenario. Could be something like this:
    The server generates a checksum of all the mod files it loads.
    When a client connects, the server sends the modlist with the checksums. The client also computes checksum for its local existing mod files.
    If the checksum match, the client should not check or download a newer version. Just load the existing version.
    On checksum mismatch, the client updates and do checksum again. If check still fails, refuse to join the server in order to prevent problems.
    I hope that @Phand can take a look at this again?

9. LocInt Apprentice Engineer

We have experienced this issue weekly. Last time we lost some armor ramps. Keen does not care.

10. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

When I do updates for my mods- like the armor ramps or armor panels or the azimuth mods I only stick with giant updates to avoid all your hard-earned work ships from becoming empty ships with missing blocks.

Good thing though is that the armor panels and armor ramps mod is complete so no more updates unless Keen changes something in the cubeblocks.sbc which I highly doubt they will.

Yeah I also would like to hear from a dev or moderator or whoever at Keen to know if this issue is on Keens end or on Steams CDN end of things.

It is quite annoying and at times it's exactly what happens if you change the subtype id for a block, it disappears off the ship until it is placed back down again, and then next mod update the cycle repeats and it NEVER ENDS!

11. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Seriously Keen. Fix this. Just lost so much to this bug again and it's days like today which make me not want to play any more. It should not be a difficult thing to do to make sure a mod is correctly downloaded and prevent the server from starting if the download has failed. You don't just push on regardless.

12. Uri Trainee Engineer

I already stopped playing 2 months ago, I'm tired of this nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Any chance we think this note from the patch notes today is relating to this issue?

14. mexmer Senior Engineer

this fix is related to upload of bps/mods from game, unfortunately no change i DS mod handling.

i uses minimal number of mods on server, to prevent any issues with them.

15. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Ah ok, yeah reading it again that makes sense. Hopefully a fix will come at some point for this issue so I don't have to clear out my mods folder every time I restart the server.

16. ZeroGravity Trainee Engineer

@SEBuilder4 We appreciate all your efforts

@Keen: Couls you please look into this this problem still exists, and where we rent the server we do not have access to the mod directory, so not able to delete the mod so it can redownload them.

17. mexmer Senior Engineer

easiest thing to fix this, is probly adding "onetime" setting, that will wipe mod directory on server load. i suspect you don't have access to DS config tool, but you can modify you server config trough some tool/webinterface.
    also you might ask SESE authors to add this option (if you have SESE avaialble) - i know it's workaround, but probly faster to get there.

18. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

I agree I want this problem solved, it's unfair to dedicated server users to have to rebuild their ships because the blocks disappear.

It's the same concept as if Steam told Keen that they lost the game from their servers and that Keen has to re-upload or redo the code all over again. I doubt that would be very funny to them.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

I am TIRED of EXPLAINING it to people who can't run a dedicated server properly if their lives depended on it. This is not something I enjoy doing.

20. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, I feel bad for you when I see so many people blaming you and not really understanding what you're saying. I really wish they would address this.

21. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

It just seems that were at the point where this will never be fixed, because I'm sure if they called it a "bug" they would have fixed it by now.

The problem I see is the dedicated server mod update manager doesn't have sufficient overwriting privileges to overwrite the mods .sbm file in the mods folder so it moves on to the next one.

Unless I am mistaken that seems to be the problem.

22. Smeghammer Trainee Engineer

If I'm understanding the bug detailed here properly, I've actually run into it on a localhost as well - the Azimuth mod is in the modlist, yet the blocks aren't in the menu/no longer exist in the world.

That said, I just tested it and between either this week's update or me putting the mod in question to the top of the load order, it seems to have been resolved? So maybe I ran into something different.

23. X e r o Trainee Engineer

Need this fixed, as i've even resorted to using individual mods because it happens so often now on our DS for no reason. and it's only this one, I understand why, but ... keen pls help :'(

24. PatMan3000 Trainee Engineer

My server is hosted on PingPerfect and it randomly crashed. After a server restart, i noticed that all of the Azimuth blocks placed were missing. Now when I try to place a Azimuth block, the server crashes. Welp

25. CyberFoxx Trainee Engineer

I've resorted to daily backups of the world followed by clearing the mods directory before restarting the dedicated server. The daily backups are mostly due to the fact that if the server crashes and auto-restarts, if there was a mod update, there's a good chance that something will break due to this bug. Sadly, this is quite a waste of bandwidth, and I can only hope that my hosting service doesn't mind...

26. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

I am tired of being the PUNCHING BAG and being BLAMED for the blocks disappearing from people ships and stations that they spend their FREE TIME on only for a SINGLE MOD UPDATE to TAKE THAT ALL AWAY!!!

Yet I am baffled as to why the blocks don't disappear when Keen does their game updates simply because it's no different than updating a mod as it's the exact same system.

Forgive me Keen for being really mad, I am tired of having to explain this workaround every single mod update I do.
    (Workarounds are not a solution, they are a cheap way around a problem instead of applying a permanent fix to remedy the problem.)

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. PatMan3000 Trainee Engineer

SEBuilder4, I still appreciate your work :)

28. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

Thanks. I enjoy modding in SE it keeps me busy doing stuff. :D

Never enough time to build ships but every once in awhile I do lol. :D

29. Liath_WW Trainee Engineer

Hey SEBuilder4, don't let the steam freaks get you worked up mate. Most of them are kids and can't even form sentences correctly. Also, it might be a good idea to move the "if stuff does this, go here and stop commenting here" part to the top and make it bright freakin' red.

That said, *ahem* KEEEEEEEEEN. OMGWTFBBQ!! Fo reel fix tha crap. *erm* Yeah I'd appreciate this kind of stuff being taken care of. Really should have been addressed a long time ago.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  30. IceBlade Trainee Engineer

I just made this account so I could say this issue is kind of making myself and ALL of my friend group who play this game stop playing. I personally lost about 30 hours of work on a ship that now can't even start up because the game just deleted all the azimuth parts I was using. How has this issue not been taken care of yet, it's been almost a year since this post in of itself has been created. The issue around even longer than that. The game is easily the best $20 I ever spent, but come on it's getting ridiculous.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.