Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.107, Dx11][FIXED] Why can I see the polygon edges? (tessellation problem on ALL RADEON R7-R9?)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by francogp, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. francogp Apprentice Engineer

The lines consume rendering power... so it also drops FPS. It's not a cosmetic issue only..

2. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

Ah, that explains why my game is stuttering ever so slightly in DX11, but runs butter-smooth in DX9.
    I thought it was just DX11 being so poorly implemented in Space Engineers.

Time to switch back to DX9.

3. Castle Builder Trainee Engineer

Sorry pressed the wrong number.

4. francogp Apprentice Engineer

but it was confirmed here [1.103, Dx11] Why can I see the polygon edges? and on the thread title :p

5. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I recorded a video showing what this horrible visual bug looks like in motion... it is most prominent on gold, but visible on all asteroids.... every single one.....

This is not immersive at all.

Video Card is R9 270

Driver is Catalyst 15.7.1 WHQL

6. francogp Apprentice Engineer

Can I add it to the OP?

7. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Yes.. anything to get this silly bug squashed.

8. firstof9 Apprentice Engineer

I was able to capture a particularly nasty view of said wire framing as well.

[​IMG]

9. Marfas Trainee Engineer

Got the same issue AFTER updating catalyst control center to latest version this week. With earlier version (14.9) this issue didnt exist. R9 200 series and windows 8.1 64-bit. So yea latest drivers seem to be causing this issue for me. Anyways game is in alpha, i can imagine they have more pressing issues on to-do list which is fine by me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. francogp Apprentice Engineer

I post that on the OP

11. Tony Hughes Junior Engineer

Anyone noticed that the iron ore texture doesn't seem to have the same problem? Didn't check them all, but I've never noticed any lines on it. Maybe there is some difference between it and the others that would indicate the cause of the issue.

12. francogp Apprentice Engineer

Iron is also affected. All asteroids are affected.

13. Tony Hughes Junior Engineer

Ok, interesting. They're not there on my iron ores at any LOD although I've certainly seen them in gold, magnesium and at least a couple of others. I'll check them all more thoroughly later. I've changed a lot of settings away from their defaults, to try and reduce the flicker effects from cross-fire, so may have inadvertently and marginally improved things for myself somehow.

14. Tony Hughes Junior Engineer

OK, yes you're right, it's on all of them. It's just much harder to see on high resolution dark textures like Iron, Nickel or Uranium, particularly with tone mapping off, to the point I really struggled to see it even though I was looking for it.

Changed every setting on there and nothing helped remove it, however switching away from High texture resolution made it distinctly more noticeable. On low resolution, I can easily see it on iron ore and other dark textures.

This is how an asteroids start asteroid looks with low res texture (at 4k screen resolution) and tone mapping on.

[​IMG]

You can clearly see the mesh and it's very obvious when moving as it flickers.

Now the same in high res with tone-mapping on:

[​IMG]

You can just about see the mesh on the iron ore, but you have to look hard. It sort of blends in.

Now with hi-res textures and tone-mapping off (how I normally play it)

[​IMG]

Really difficult to see the mesh on the iron, but still easy on the lighter ores.

As has probably already been mentioned. The mesh vanishes as you get to the closest LOD. It is more apparent, the further you are away from it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  15. Tony Hughes Junior Engineer

One bit of good news for AMD owners though is that the cross-fire flicker problems seem to have been sorted out. Not sure what's been done, but when you switch to Default cross-fire mode on the catalyst profile, it's as steady as a rock in DX11. Haven't tried it for a few months so may have been fixed for a while. Was giving me a headache with the constant flickering in 1x1 mode even last night.

16. Tolje Trainee Engineer

I'm using Nvidia GTX 760 and I started seeing them yesterday. Like Phand mentioned, I was also unable to reproduce this until I patched my Nvidia, now I still see them after downgrading my drivers... :(

17. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

I had to move to DX11 only when I upgraded to Windows 10. Alas, I had so many issues with windows 10 - it was like a domino effect I had to revert back to 9. The instruction I followed with windows 10 to get SE to work caused me to lose most of my blueprints sadly (

18. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

I don't see polygons - using 2 gtx 970's, however the game doesn't utilize SLI. I do see factures through the asteroids as if they have been shattered and frozen like that. I can literally see through the cracks to the sky box.

19. francogp Apprentice Engineer

confirmed on 1.104

20. Castle Builder Trainee Engineer

I'm personally not too fussed about this problem on asteroids because I've learnt to ignore it-ish (fps drop still sucks though) on planets however it would be very immersion breaking so I really hope they fix it before they release planets

21. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Confirming still present.

22. Xordus Trainee Engineer

So........................ I guess this is not a priority....

My real concern is that Keen will release planets without having fixed this problem. As far as I can tell this will be prevalent on planets the same way it is on asteroids. It would be so very disappointing to finally get planets after ALL this time, only to have them look absolutely horrible because Keen decided this bug wasn't important enough to fix.

I am truly surprised we're still talking about this 2+ months after the bug was introduced. I haven't played since. Every update I log on to see if its fixed and I can finally start playing again.

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

23. Malware Master Engineer

Most likely this bug is very hard to pin down. This will be especially true if it's driver or hardware dependant. People always seem to assume that bugs are easy to find and fix. This is far, far away from the truth, trust me :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Castle Builder Trainee Engineer

I do wish the devs would just say "We are aware of this problem and working on a solution" just so we don't feel like we have to keep posting about it.

25. Xordus Trainee Engineer

Indeed. I'm not asking for this to be fixed now, I just want to know that it will be. As far as I know they still aren't even aware of it. I've yet to see a simple post recognizing this bug exists, much less that they're trying to fix it. Until I know this is being worked on I'm going to continue to blab and try to raise awareness about it. I've seen lots of bugs, but I hate this one worse than all by far.

Like I said, we've been waiting on planets forever now, if they are released with these stupid lines all over them, it'll be a huge letdown.

26. henkbein Apprentice Engineer

Remarkable: first specific Nvidia report about this vertex grid.
    Can you post a screenshot, just to be sure we are talking about the same issue ?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  27. chickenflyers Trainee Engineer

Haven't played for months, find this bug a bit too annoying. Hopefully fixed soon in time for planets.....but it's been months waiting so far. I'll be back. In a month.

28. juan_al Trainee Engineer

same here

[​IMG]

29. striker_lord Apprentice Engineer

30. Teladus Trainee Engineer

ok i have the same problem amd card HD7870 oc GHZ edition Gigabyte... pls help keen...:/ this meshes are fps killer...:(

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.